Black Powder Handguns in MD. Laws re: Ordering on-line???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bethesda John

Feb 28, 2007
    Escaped to Virginia
    I've been thinking about picking up a black powder repro CSA revolver from Cabelas. I was wondering if MD treated them like other handguns will the requirement of going through an FFL dealer or am I able to order them like a pair of boots?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have seen them hanging on display pegs, in blister packs, at Bass Pro Shops. Just take one off the peg and take it to the register.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    BP revolvers and muzzleloaders are uninfringed so far in MD. as are cartridge conversion cylinders, as long as they are sold separate from the revolver, shoulder stocks on BP pistols are also fun and legal. Have them shipped to your door, buy them in store, or trade buy sell privately FTF. The only limitation is if you were to conceal carry a BP pistol, in this case it is treated like any other pistol, requiring the infamous MD permit.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    BP revolvers and muzzleloaders are uninfringed so far in MD. as are cartridge conversion cylinders, as long as they are sold separate from the revolver, shoulder stocks on BP pistols are also fun and legal. Have them shipped to your door, buy them in store, or trade buy sell privately FTF. The only limitation is if you were to conceal carry a BP pistol, in this case it is treated like any other pistol, requiring the infamous MD permit.
    in this case it is treated like any other pistol
    Actually this is possibly a grey area as to legallity, but if it is actually illegal it would not be because it is like any other pistol, it would be because it is a concealed "weapon".
    The difference is that the "Handgun" violation has a minimum jail sentence and fine, and the fine has a greater max than the "Dangerous Weapons" violation.
    Right about the permit though because a permit allows carry of "handguns" as well as other "weapons".

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    BP revolvers and muzzleloaders are uninfringed so far in MD. as are cartridge conversion cylinders, as long as they are sold separate from the revolver, shoulder stocks on BP pistols are also fun and legal.

I'd be careful with this. When I purchased my Colt Navy 1851 Repo, I had do pistol paperwork on it in Virginia because it could accept the conversion cylinder. As a result, the law considered it a "firearm". My dealer may have been wrong on that point but the result was a 4473 transfer at the time.

I'd dig into the law on this. It a replica BP gun can be modified to fire modern ammo, I believe it loses its lack of paperwork status.

Matt

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'd be careful with this. When I purchased my Colt Navy 1851 Repo, I had do pistol paperwork on it in Virginia because it could accept the conversion cylinder. As a result, the law considered it a "firearm". My dealer may have been wrong on that point but the result was a 4473 transfer at the time.

I'd dig into the law on this. It a replica BP gun can be modified to fire modern ammo, I believe it loses its lack of paperwork status.

Matt
    No, not at all.
    If it is in it's origional configuration and it is a muzzle loader, then it is an unregulated "antique".

However if it is already modified to be a modern handgun, then it is a modern handgun.

Here is an example, if you add a drop in conversion cylinder into an 1858 Remington replica, it becomes a modern handgun that you must sell as a modern handgun. But as soon as you take that drop in conversion cylinder out it is once again an "antique because the frame ("or reciever") has not been altered.
    Now take an 1860 Colt Army and convert it to take cartridges (commercially available cartridges). Since the Colt 1860 requires aleration to the frame to accept that type of conversion, it is now a modern handgun even if the cylinder is removed.

A replica cap and ball revolver that is a muzzleloader is automatically an "antique" and will stay that way until altered.
    A replica of an antique cartridge firing revolver using ammunition no longer commcerically available is also an "antique", unless you convert it to take commercially available ammunition.
    However, if you have an actual antique made before 1899, it can fire modern, commercially available cartridge ammunition and still remain an antique as I understand it as long as the frame is unaltered.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Don't forget that you can legally manufacture a firearm for your own use. So just because you add a drop in cylinder to a "Antique" revolver doen't mean you have to register it with the MDSP, even though I bet they would like you to. Although, I'm no lawyer.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    just come to a N-SSA national match (next one in may) at fort shenandoah and you can shop and buy(and carry away) all the black powder pistols and rifles you want or can afford. check out www.N-SSA.ORG for more info and directions

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    Watch the wording of the law, it doesn't say percussion revolver, it says "replica." There may be others, but I believe the MSP has ruled that the Ruger Old Army is NOT a REPLICA of any antique gun and so is subject to the same purchase law as any modern revolver.

Jim

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Watch the wording of the law, it doesn't say percussion revolver, it says "replica." There may be others, but I believe the MSP has ruled that the Ruger Old Army is NOT a REPLICA of any antique gun and so is subject to the same purchase law as any modern revolver.

Jim

Do you have a link on this?
    If they really wanted to be that exact and say the general copy is not a replica, then almost none of the C&B revolvers are "replicas" because they all have slight differences. For instance, there was no brass frame open top Colt. Also, not all the cylinders are the exact length, the barrels usually aren't (7 1/2" instead of 8"), the steel is a different composition, different finish, the Pieta 1858 is really an 1862 with improvements of their own, etc. So I would really like to see this ruling because if true, it means just about every single cap and ball revolver or single shot Outdoor World has sold over the years was illegally sold and purchased. Thousands of us, and Bass Pro would all be criminals.

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    Hi, NC,

Don't argue with me, write the MSP and ask them. I am giving "the scoop" as best I can and no I don't have a link to everything in the world.

If something affects you or you think you could get in trouble doing something, you would be foolish to take the word of anyone on a web site. Ask the people who make the regulations, the AG and the MSP. The rule may have changed, but when I bought a Ruger Old Army, I had to fill out the forms just like a "modern" S&W. The dealer showed me the letter from the MSP, and I think most dealers would have it, if it is still in effect.

Jim

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hi, NC,

Don't argue with me, write the MSP and ask them.
    Why bother? I have no reason to think any different from the common practice that is followed now.

I am giving "the scoop" as best I can and no I don't have a link to everything in the world.
    no link or no citation of statute, then I am sorry, no credibility.
    I will make exceptions for lack of links or lack of sources for people that do not have links on occasion that I know are in the trade or have been involved in a case relating to this or I know have a general understanding and I know personally.
    Until you write the MSP and use that as a cite to say any different than what others have said, I will not even bother myself unless you can show me where in the statute I might be wrong.
    If something affects you or you think you could get in trouble doing something, you would be foolish to take the word of anyone on a web site.
    Yes, and the same goes to unwarranted over caution for laws that may not exist.

Ask the people who make the regulations, the AG and the MSP. The rule may have changed, but when I bought a Ruger Old Army, I had to fill out the forms just like a "modern" S&W. The dealer showed me the letter from the MSP, and I think most dealers would have it, if it is still in effect.

I will take your word for it as to what happened, BUT I doubt the circumstances and I do not know what you read because you have not shown a sample of the letter. As far as I know you totally misread the letter and so did your dealer.
    I am sure there are more than a few people on this board which did NOT fill out any forms when they bought their Ruger Old Army. Like I bet Jim Sr. did not when he bought his Ruger Old Army.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

Jim
    Black powder revolvers predate the U.S. Civil War. They fire loose black powder and a ball via percussion caps placed on nipples on the back of the cylinder. They are used in special black powder competitions and during black powder hunting seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom