Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Jim17

Gun shops and ranges in Montgomery County

A friend is moving back to the area and wants to stay proficient with handgun shooting. He will live in Chevy Chase. Can you recommend good shops and ranges he might patronize? Thanks.
Jim17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Norton

NRA Life Member
Rifleman

Welcome to the board.

As far as ranges in MoCo, things are pretty slim.

Gilbert's in Rockville is there, but I think you'll see from the MoCo members chiming in that it might not be a place you want to go.

As far as shops, I was very impressed with the staff and selection at Engage Armament in Kensington.

There's also Atlantic in Rockville and Silver Spring.

Also Gun Rack in Burtonsville.

Old September 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
K-Romulus
Suburban Commando

Gilbert's is it, but he can always drive over to the NRA range in VA.

Once he gets settled, he could try one of the private clubs like Monacacy Pistol or one of the Isaak Walton Leagues.
K-Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Simon Yu

Most people here in MoCo do a bit of driving to find ranges. I know a few head up to Cresap in Frederick. And pretty much everyone here in the county has gone to the PG trap range at least once I think.

Since your friend is going to be in Chevy Chase, that lessens the convenience Gilbert's has for the few of us that live like 5 or 10 minutes away from it. He'll have to do a bit of driving no matter what.
Simon Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #5
mpickering

Montgomery County has a rule that states you can only shoot at ranges if you are a member of a club. I guess to prevent the gang bangers from renting a gun at a range and practicing before their drive-bys.

Hence why Gilbert's has a $300 membership fee. Which is ridiculous. I won't shoot there ever. If you want to know why, google them and bring up their link on range rules and safety. If I want to be treated as a child, I'll shoot there (sorry, I know my guns better than they do and I don't want to raise my hand to their RSO to touch my gun when they might not be familiar with it).

Otherwise, I'm going elsewhere like NRA or Blue Ridge in VA where I can at least shoot like I am adult. Plus, there is no $300 club membership fee to shoot at either place. I shoot at NRA and only go to Blue Ridge if someone wants to rent something.

I second the NRA recommendation. Best indoor range on the East Coast (and no, you don't need to be a member to shoot there. It just costs a little more).

Matt
mpickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Simon Yu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpickering View Post
Hence why Gilbert's has a $300 membership fee. Which is ridiculous. I won't shoot there ever. If you want to know why, google them and bring up their link on range rules and safety. If I want to be treated as a child, I'll shoot there (sorry, I know my guns better than they do and I don't want to raise my hand to their RSO to touch my gun when they might not be familiar with it).
They don't actually touch the gun being inspect it, it's you showing that there's no magazine inserted and the chamber is empty at the counter. They just look on.

But yes, it is expensive. I think they spend as much on legal/zoning fees and bs in order to stay open in a hostile county as they do on keeping the place stocked and running. Word is that they have to claim they sell motorsport goods and keep the ATV related stuff in stock in order to stay open since the county would kick out a dedicated gun range.
Simon Yu is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Capital Region