Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
ThePhantomPatriot
Politically Incorrect
 
ThePhantomPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: From MD to PA... Get out while you still can
Posts: 2,618
Images: 3
Exclamation HarCo Headlight Zone

Anyone notice the new signs put up on Rt. 1 coming from the Hickory Wawa toward 24?

Theres a few big black signs that say something along the lines of Turn headlights on because of oncoming traffic or be fined. Doesn't make sense to me because 22 has just as high speeds, one lane each way and doesn't have those signs up.

My bro told me its probably because of the turn lane that cuts across to 23, I think its called Water Tower Way. I've almost hit people that were turning because they pull out right in front of me, having headlights on doesn't help with drivers who are idiots and have bad judgment.

Just sounds like another revenue trap for the pirates to sit at.

What I'm wondering... what is the law (if any) that allows them to ticket you for not having headlights on? Would the charge be failure to obey traffic control device?


__________________
-MD Liberty PAC Supporter
-Oath Keepers Associate Member
ThePhantomPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
fivepointstar
Support IDF
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,665
Images: 7
I haven't seen it yet??

yes, the violation is Failure to Obey A Traffic Control Device.


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
JSW
Senior Member
 
JSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bryansville, Pa.
Posts: 1,648
Images: 1
NO english
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #4
fivepointstar
Support IDF
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,665
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW View Post
NO english
Should I start calling you Jose'


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #5
ThePhantomPatriot
Politically Incorrect
 
ThePhantomPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: From MD to PA... Get out while you still can
Posts: 2,618
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
I haven't seen it yet??

yes, the violation is Failure to Obey A Traffic Control Device.
I just saw it on my way home from school last night, it wasn't there last week. I just thought it was weird also that the background is black, rather than yellow or white.


__________________
-MD Liberty PAC Supporter
-Oath Keepers Associate Member
ThePhantomPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Bullfrog
Senior Member
 
Bullfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 1,263
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomPatriot View Post
Anyone notice the new signs put up on Rt. 1 coming from the Hickory Wawa toward 24?

Theres a few big black signs that say something along the lines of Turn headlights on because of oncoming traffic or be fined. Doesn't make sense to me because 22 has just as high speeds, one lane each way and doesn't have those signs up.
The same signs are posted on MD 32 for the stretch between I70 and Clarkesville, and have been for at least several years. That portion of the road is almost all two lane, bounded by trees almost to the shoulder on both sides at some points, and has several slight curves. I think it's a precaution so that oncoming traffic will be more visible to people attempting to make a left turn or pass slow moving vehicles.

I'm not familiar with Rt 1 in that area, maybe the conditions are similar?

Quote:
Just sounds like another revenue trap for the pirates to sit at.

What I'm wondering... what is the law (if any) that allows them to ticket you for not having headlights on? Would the charge be failure to obey traffic control device?
I've been driving that way 2x daily for years. There have been more than a few times I've passed an officer with radar on in that stretch of road during daylight hours and I looked down and noticed I had forgotten to turn on my lights. I've never been ticketed for it.

I think it's more of a sensible precaution/preventative measure than a revenue trap.

The light and speed cameras in Mo.Co, OTOH ---- .
Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #7
ThePhantomPatriot
Politically Incorrect
 
ThePhantomPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: From MD to PA... Get out while you still can
Posts: 2,618
Images: 3
My reason for it being a trap is that the road hasn't had those signs up for the past 10 years when the bypass was put in, but now they put the signs up.

There have been fatal accidents further down the road where it is 2 lanes in each direction and no median. I'm surprised they don't put some form of median on the Rt 1 bypass between 24 and the detention center, a small concrete barricade would work.


__________________
-MD Liberty PAC Supporter
-Oath Keepers Associate Member
ThePhantomPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
alucard0822
For great Justice
 
alucard0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 10,696
Images: 11
Those signs are all over various 2 lane roads with oncoming traffic, 32 in western Howard county, and 90 heading into OC being 2 examples I know have had them for years. The signs were more popular nationwide in the days before day time running lights where visibility was essential with oncoming traffic separated only by a double yellow line and having a closing speed usually 100mph or more.


__________________
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
K31
You're Harshing My Mellow
 
K31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 17,329
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
Should I start calling you Jose'
No hablo Pablo.


__________________
Giving "respectful, civil gun owners a bad name" since January 15th, 2006.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

"The 'War on Poverty? Whose side are they on?" - Carl, caller to WMAL talk show
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Rattlesnake46319
Curmidget
 
Rattlesnake46319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 10,375
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
Should I start calling you Jose'
Jalapeno......on a steek!


__________________
"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time, and with utter recklessness" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
well, this degenerated from unnecessary to downright bizarre in a hurry.
Rattlesnake46319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Kharn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hazzard County
Posts: 1,838
I run lights & fogs on my Yukon whenever it is not perfectly bright and sunny. I still get cut off, people turning in front of me, etc. This thing might as well be a school bus for how big it is and about once a week some idiot misses it.
Kharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #12
ThePhantomPatriot
Politically Incorrect
 
ThePhantomPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: From MD to PA... Get out while you still can
Posts: 2,618
Images: 3
Headlights don't solve the problem of stupidity.


__________________
-MD Liberty PAC Supporter
-Oath Keepers Associate Member
ThePhantomPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #13
fivepointstar
Support IDF
 
fivepointstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harford COW-nty
Posts: 28,665
Images: 7
I saw the signed yesterday for the first time, coming off Rt 24 onto the bypass. I don't know why they are black, perhaps to contrast the yellow letters?? I agree, if people would get off thier f*cking cell phones and just drive the roads would be alot safer


__________________
.
Namaste

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."


I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #14
mikec
Senior Member
 
mikec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Off I-83
Posts: 11,346
Do daytime running lights count or do they want the headlights on?
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #15
Ethan83
Senior Member
 
Ethan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Baltimoreish
Posts: 3,022
Images: 2
I lived in HoCo growing up off Linden Church and 32, just north of the intersection of 108. (which was a T intersection with a stop sign when my family moved there). The headlights sign has been on the stretch from about 108 north to at least 70 since at least the mid 90s or so, possibly earlier. They're also on a black background.

I don't recall encountering any accidents on that stretch of 32 in all my time living there. There may have been one or two that just escape me (spent about 13 years there) but I don't recall it as being a 'dangerous' road, like many other of the more 'backroad' intersections that were redesigned because of too many accidents. Using your headlights isn't an inherently bad idea, but there was no reason or evidence to make a law about it on that stretch as far as I could tell.

That said, even as a staunch libertarian (as Phantom Patriot knows IRL from meeting a few times at rallies), this doesn't totally offend me as a local ordinance. Statewide legislation, sure, but if the local community wants to do something kinda dumb to themselves, well, this is pretty inoffensive by my standards. HOA's have done far worse to their residents. Perhaps that's easy to say though because I never once saw or heard of this law being enforced whatsoever. Of course, the seat belt laws weren't really supposed to be 'enforced' unless other infractions were involved, and now it's practically probable cause for a search, so believe me, I'm with you on the slippery slope argument. I just never saw that at all over a period of many years in that area.

I don't agree with it, but it's still at the bottom of my very long list of stuff I disagree with. If they started hassling drivers over it, it would move up pretty quick.
Ethan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #16
rich96c4ce
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: A.A.
Posts: 8
It is simply to help reduce crashes and their consequences. Rt. 404 and 90 on the Eastern shore are posted for mandatory headlamp use. BTW, headlamps use is mandatory anytime it is raining or your wipers are on. Why, same reason: increase the noticeability of vehicles in use. That is also why so many vehicles are built with Daytime Running Lamps. These are not Federally mandated, but many of the vehicle manufacturers want their customers to be safe (so that they can buy more vehicles.)
rich96c4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #17
IndispensableDestiny
Senior Member
 
IndispensableDestiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hazzard Precinct, Harford County, MD
Posts: 2,154
I saw the sign today. It's probably in response to a fatal head on collision that occurred within the last two years. The family members wanted a divider installed. Instead, the road was grooved down the middle and along the shoulders and now this silly headlight zone. Headlights would not have prevented the fatal accident. It is just a feel good measure at the expense of anybody that get ticketed.
IndispensableDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #18
zoostation


 
zoostation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: mein 530xi
Posts: 11,022
Images: 12
They should have done it along the whole Bypass 30 years ago. That section of the Bypass down by Bel Air has always been notorious for head-on crashes, and rightfully so. It's one of the worst designed high-speed roads I've ever seen. Even back in the 80's when I was a volunteer with BAVFC everybody equated the terms 10-50 and Bel Air Bypass with Fatal. For all the money the state pisses away resurfacing roads that don't need to be resurfaced you would think they could put a jersey wall up there. Maybe it was the accident last year where the whole family from Parkville was killed there that spurred them to do something more, I dunno.


__________________
"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."-St. Augustine

zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #19
ThePhantomPatriot
Politically Incorrect
 
ThePhantomPatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: From MD to PA... Get out while you still can
Posts: 2,618
Images: 3
I agree w/ you Zoo, I'd rather see a jersey wall. MD is notorious for budget problems so instead of cutting their resurfacing they'd probably raise taxes for the wall. Its easier for them to get away w/ raising taxes in the name of safety.


__________________
-MD Liberty PAC Supporter
-Oath Keepers Associate Member
ThePhantomPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #20
DeadIDik
Habitual Line Stepper!
 
DeadIDik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
Posts: 1,260
Its all about money not safety. That section of road is no more dangerous than Jarrettsville pike or any other 2 lane road. People need to remove their head from their ass and drive instead of talking on the phone,getting dressed,watching tv,putting on makeup,eating and playing with themselves.


__________________
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called ''patriotism''. Kenny Powers
DeadIDik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013, Maryland Shooters, LLC