Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Old November 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Topher

Bullseye Powder and .40 S&W

I have used Bullseye for .45 ACP and .38 SPL and while a little dirty I am please with the results.

I have 2lbs of Bullseye which can load a TON of pistol rounds.

Here comes my questions:
I just recently got a SA XD in .40 S&W.
I will be getting reloading dies for Christmas...
Has anyone ever used Bullseye for loading 180 grain rounds for .40 S&W?

I would like to standardize on one pistol powder if I could.
If that is not the best thing to do other powder recommendations would be welcomed!

Thanks!
Chris

There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
Topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
mike_in_md
Distinguished Pistol#1549

Check out the Alliant website. They have a receipe that you can download for Bullseye powder for the 180 grain 40S&W bullet. However, "Power Pistol" powder is a better choice for 40S&W according to Alliant.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...1&cartridge=29
mike_in_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Topher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_md View Post
Check out the Alliant website. They have receipes that you can download for Bullseye powder.
I have been to their web site. I was looking for personal experience. In the short time I have been reloading, I have learned that just because the manufacturer says you can, doesn't mean it is the best option for you.

There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political elite and their minions. Are you okay with that? I'm not.
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
mike_in_md
Distinguished Pistol#1549

If you want to push the bullet faster than the sound barrier, you may want to try something else. Bullseye powder is going to limit the velocity a little bit. I'd see how you like bullseye with the S&W 40. If it feels to wimpy, switch powders. For target shooting you may not care about breaking the sound barrier.
mike_in_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
alucard0822
For great Justice

I use it for light loads, and it works well, very accurate with reduced loads.

loading a 180gr Rainier FP over 4gr of bullseye is the load I shoot the most out of my XD(M), it functions with the factory recoil spring, and is very soft shooting and economical load. It can be turned up a good bit, but for monster loads, other powders give a lot more velocity.

I found this load like you, I already have bullseye for 38, 357, 45colt and 45ACP, and couldn't find the hs-6 I normally used for 40/9mm/38 super, so I just used what I had

"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM   #6
helg

Bullseye can be used in any of the semiauto pistol round. I used it in many calibers, including the 40. It measures good, and burns fast, which means smaller and consistent muzzle pressure, therefore, good accuracy.

Among its drawbacks are dirtiness and smoke (does not matter if you shoot outdoors). Also, as said above, you may not have the top bullet speed. As a side effect of the low muzzle pressure, muzzle brakes are not that effective with the bullseye.

BTW, 2lbs of the Bullseye are good only for 90 lbs of 180 grain bullets, provided that you load a round with 4 grains of the bullseye. It is way less than a ton.
helg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Topher

Just wanted to say Thank to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I loaded up 100 rounds today with 180 gr. Rainier bullets and Bullseye powder. I had 5 separate loads from 4.0 to 5.0 incresing in .25 increments.

I took it to the range this afternoon and shoveled out 2 targets.
Alucard's load was by far the best. Best grouping and most accurate.
I really apprciate the info! Thanks again!

Chris

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading