Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:09 AM   #1
silentsnake

SU-16D

I did a search here and have not found any posts about it, but i am fascinated by the Kel Tec SU-16D

it was reviewed by a guy that goes by the handle of nothinfancy, and i really appreciated his candor about the carbine.

the SU-16D has a shorter barrel than the previous models, and the picatinney rail system on the front grip.

there is also a kit you can purchase direct from the company that converts the original folding stock to a pistol grip that has a 4-position AR stock.

i was curious if any dealers know where i can purchase one or if it would be better to deal directly with the manufacturers.

it looks like an excellent carbine for the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaqPowTdqtg

and yet now... they want to put us in one...

Last edited by silentsnake; September 23rd, 2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added video
silentsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM   #2
erwos
Jew with a Gun

It's an SBR (barrel < 16"), so you'll need to do the whole tax stamp thing. Given that, I'd probably buy a "regular" SU-16 and convert to a pistol grip with the kit. IIRC, you can get also buy the rail kit, so you should be able to get most of the way there with a few hundred bucks of investment.

I like the SU-16, too, but it's kinda hard to justify over a standard AR-15. The Sub-2000 is a way more interesting rifle, IMHO.
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #3
rob-cubed
In need of moderation

I have an SU-16C. I got it for its light weight, and compact size (folded). And because it's not an AR and I wanted something else in 5.56 that I could use my existing mags with. It's surprisingly accurate, and very reliable. Unlike the AR as it's not as particular about a wet bolt. I can't remember offhand if the D and C use the same barrel/front sight but the A and B have a lighter barrel and I've heard more complaints about them.

My main issue with the C is it's mostly plastic, and the folding stock in particular seems like it would break if I fell on it while locked open. It's not a battle rifle. But it would make an ideal varmint gun, light enough even for backpacking, and it's fun at the range as well. I haven't held a D, however the advantages of this platform are its light weight and convertibility--the C even has a rudimentary tripod. Trying to make it into a tacticool gun like the D seems wrong IMO...they replaced all of the decent features for the sake of appearance.
rob-cubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #4
rrrrrrkevin
Its comin right for me!

Send a message via AIM to rrrrrrkevin
wouldnt be my main shooter but I would love to have it as a backpacking gun with a scope or a truck gun
rrrrrrkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #5
rrrrrrkevin
Its comin right for me!

Send a message via AIM to rrrrrrkevin
that would be sweet with a lightweight fixed stock and pistol grip like the plr pistol has
rrrrrrkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
silentsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
It's an SBR (barrel < 16"), so you'll need to do the whole tax stamp thing. Given that, I'd probably buy a "regular" SU-16 and convert to a pistol grip with the kit. IIRC, you can get also buy the rail kit, so you should be able to get most of the way there with a few hundred bucks of investment.

I like the SU-16, too, but it's kinda hard to justify over a standard AR-15. The Sub-2000 is a way more interesting rifle, IMHO.
yeah, the D has too short of a barrel for me, so you are right, conversion would be better...

i just like the idea of the AR bolt and the AK style piston, the combination makes for reliability. and the price is golden...

the built in bipod is flimsy, so i would probably never use it, hence the replacement front handguard with the rail (you can get a bipod that fits the rail and works a lot better)

throw on some good optics and i bet its a hell of a gun once its tweaked a bit...

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Fideo

I have an SU-16CA with only 10 rounds through it. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. It is a nice rifle, but I recently purchased an AR and don't have enough money to justify duplicate purpose firearms.
Fideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #8
glock_forty5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand86 View Post
I have an SU-16CA with only 10 rounds through it. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. It is a nice rifle, but I recently purchased an AR and don't have enough money to justify duplicate purpose firearms.
PM sent.
glock_forty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #9
silentsnake

damn, beat me to it glock forty5!

Old September 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #10
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer

always meant to fondle one. been admiring the looks for awhile now. i love how the stock folds up.

MSI Member
hole punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #11
jaredm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hole punch View Post
always meant to fondle one. been admiring the looks for awhile now. i love how the stock folds up.
Barrel shroud?

jaredm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM   #12
hole punch
Paper Target Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredm1 View Post
Barrel shroud?

lol! yeah, that thing

MSI Member
hole punch is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles