Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #1
wlc
Senior Member
 
wlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,223
New Pro-Gun Control Book By Brady VP

Lethal Logic: Exploding the Myths That Paralyze American Gun Policy
http://www.amazon.com/Lethal-Logic-E...7251177&sr=8-1

I would think our members could post some "good" reviews on this book on Amazon

Quote:
“Guns don’t kill people; people kill people.”

“When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.”

“An armed society is a polite society.”

Who hasn’t heard these engaging assertions, time and time again? Burned into the national consciousness by years of targeted, disciplined messaging by the National Rifle Association and others, they are just a few of the bumper-sticker slogans that have defined the gun control debate in America. Long ridiculed by gun control advocates, they are the first words that come to mind for most Americans when the gun issue is discussed.

This is the first book both to acknowledge the profound and deadly impact of the gun lobby’s bumper-sticker logic on the gun control debate and to systematically expose the misguided thinking at the core of the pro-gun slogans. Indeed, the author contends that the gun lobby’s remarkable success in blocking passage of lifesaving gun laws is the result, in large part, of its relentless and effective use of these simple and resonant messages. Their persuasive power has been a largely ignored influence on the current politics of gun control, in which the gun lobby wields unprecedented power in the Republican Party, while many Democratic Party leaders see the policy benefits of stronger gun laws as not worth the political risk of standing up to the NRA. The book contends that the current political stalemate over guns will never be broken until the pro-gun slogans are exposed as the cleverly disguised fallacies that they are.

About the Author
Dennis A. Henigan is the Vice President for Law and Policy at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and Founder of its Legal Action Project. For twenty years, he has been a leading advocate for stronger gun laws, appearing dozens of times on national television shows, including 60 Minutes, The Today Show, Nightline, Larry King Live, and Dateline NBC. Henigan coauthored Guns and the Constitution: The Myth of Second Amendment Protection for Firearms in America (Aletheia Press, 1995).


__________________
My Signature
wlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #2
wlc
Senior Member
 
wlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,223
I already posted my 1 star review
so far
5 stars - 8 votes
4 stars - 1 vote
1 start - 12 votes


__________________
My Signature
wlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
boricuamaximus
Senior Member
 
boricuamaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,056
Images: 6
After reading the book, I must say that he poses some very good questions. The facts are too biased towards the Anti-Gun lobby. His figures are wrong on the "per capita" rating. Yes, we have more gun related deaths in this country but our population is much larger.

Another thing to remember is that The Brady Campaign just like the NRA are for profit organizations. They make money by demonizing/glorifying the oppositions views.

If I were to follow the logic of this book the 13 years that I have been in the military working as an IT specialist will mean that we have violent deaths (outside) of war due to the availability to guns. I respect the Brady Campaign and the NRA for their efforts so whenever I see something like this I need to read it because I believe that the only reason our country has not had atrocities like Tianamen Square and the recent Iran massacres are because of the Second Amendment. We lose that one the others are up for grabs. We even allow people to burn our flag because it's their freedom of speech. It hurts to see it being burned but it's the right that I am fighting for them to preserve.

It would be nice if these two organizations with their power and influence would do one thing: EDUCATE people. Show what to do if a child finds a gun (they do but it's not active enough in my opinion). Show adults how to properly handle a weapon, show them the mechanics. Show them the difference between what we see on TV and what you can buy.

Works in the military and we have all sorts of toys and you don't see us killing ourselves because someone made us scrub a toilet...

Our Bill of Rights was placed and written for a reason. Power corrupts, our Bill of Rights gives We, The People power. It's a defacto check and balance for the government.
*****************

I did the neutral thing. so dont burn me for it yet.


__________________
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
1911's dont suck especially if they are Nighthawk, Ed, Les, or Wilson.
boricuamaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #4
wlc
Senior Member
 
wlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuamaximus View Post
It would be nice if these two organizations with their power and influence would do one thing: EDUCATE people. Show what to do if a child finds a gun (they do but it's not active enough in my opinion). Show adults how to properly handle a weapon, show them the mechanics. Show them the difference between what we see on TV and what you can buy.
Last time I checked, the NRA spends a lot of their time and budget on exactly this.
They have the whole Eddie Eagle program for kids which is only limited by the schools and organizations that refuse to host the program because it's run by the NRA.


__________________
My Signature
wlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #5
alucard0822
For great Justice
 
alucard0822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 10,823
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc View Post
Last time I checked, the NRA spends a lot of their time and budget on exactly this.
They have the whole Eddie Eagle program for kids which is only limited by the schools and organizations that refuse to host the program because it's run by the NRA.
In fact the NRA didn't enter politics till right around the 60s, before then, they were solely an educational, and sports sactioning body.

Problem is this book is not alone, however I am sure it shares the same "facts" and arguments as all the others, almost all of which have been shown to be anything from inconclusive, to skewed, to flat out fabrications, all it does it gives the Brady campaigns dozen or so "real members" something to pat their back with, I say the few "real members", because the vast majority are either pro gun folks gathering intelligence, or Brady campaign leadership who are basically hired guns in it for the money and power, and serve other less well known agendas that have little to do with guns, and a lot to do with control.


__________________
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Huckleberry
Don't push me, Bureaucrat
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Severn
Posts: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
In fact the NRA didn't enter politics till right around the 60s, before then, they were solely an educational, and sports sactioning body.

NRA got quite involved with Civil Rights, especially fighting "Jim Crowe" laws that denied Blacks their 2A Rights. Some southern local laws tried to limited Black firearm ownership to single or double barrel shotguns and in some instances, percussion shotguns and rifles only.

KKK soon started to realize that it was hard to lynch a man when he is armed and willing to fight for his life.

Statists know until they can't push their agenda until we are unable to defend our rights and like most cowards, they only prefer to fight when the odds are 99.999% in their favor.


__________________
"We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! We're finished! All of us!"

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

NRA Life Member and Instructor
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #7
zombiehunter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
NRA got quite involved with Civil Rights, especially fighting "Jim Crowe" laws that denied Blacks their 2A Rights. Some southern local laws tried to limited Black firearm ownership to single or double barrel shotguns and in some instances, percussion shotguns and rifles only.

KKK soon started to realize that it was hard to lynch a man when he is armed and willing to fight for his life.

Statists know until they can't push their agenda until we are unable to defend our rights and like most cowards, they only prefer to fight when the odds are 99.999% in their favor.
If that's true the NRA should launch an entire campaign to remind people what they have actually done and how gun rights are an everybody issue.
zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #8
boricuamaximus
Senior Member
 
boricuamaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,056
Images: 6
I know that the NRA hosts a lot of that but they're branded as the "nutcases that want to go duck hunting with fully auto machine guns" hate to say it but it's true. First time I had anything to do with a gun was with some NRA types in PR when I was a kid.

They do the education and all of that but we need them to actually be a little more proactive especially in the MSM. Even if they're anti gun money talks. If money doesnt talk. Get on facebook, youtube and get the real message out. Sorry but we're getting our asses beat by these numbnuts so we need to push for a new marketing scheme quick. We all know that they're pushing for more idiotic laws and an eventual ban to fill another agenda.

I think we need to change face because it's not the 80's anymore. We have to be all nice and politically correct for people to listen or at least give 10 seconds of their time. Break out the wolves lobbying and in the courts. The wussified nation that we have today needs to have all ponies and puppies and little pink butterflies so they can listen to a core message.


__________________
"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
1911's dont suck especially if they are Nighthawk, Ed, Les, or Wilson.
boricuamaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM   #9
sergey
Member
 
sergey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 171
http://blog.bradycampaign.org/?p=1576


Quote:
Third, the “hogwash” votes reflect not only motivation, but organization as well. It is fascinating to me that organized efforts have been underway to sink the book under the weight of “1-star” reviews. On several websites followers are urged to send in negative reviews of the book (without, of course, urging them to read the book first). Gunbroker.com urges readers to “bury this book,” while giving helpful instructions on how to do amazon.com customer reviews. The Maryland Shooters Association suggests that its members post some “good” (meaning bad) reviews on amazon. These efforts obviously have had some success. Amazon prominently displays an “average customer review” for each book, which for Lethal Logic struggles to reach “3-stars” against the organized “1-star” campaign.
heh
sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Tootall
Feelings Hurter
 
Tootall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: AACO
Posts: 7,512
Send a message via Yahoo to Tootall
since when did we become an association



oh and...




__________________
MARYLAND SHALL ISSUE
WHY AREN'T YOU A MEMBER?



Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
I have a wooden leg, therefore I am a table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
I have a 6 sided dildo. Every rear I throw it at, it finds a hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77
I'm in for a couple of any size and color, but my preferred choice would be BIG (16 ounce or bigger) and probably black.
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #11
krucam
Senior Member
 
krucam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun...DFW, TX
Posts: 5,911
Funny once you get past the awkward html written into his 'blog'. At least we know we're getting his attention!

Mark C.


__________________
Mark C.

Dallas/Ft Worth, TX

Post McDonald Second Amendment Cases/Links HERE
krucam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM   #12
RobMoore
The Mad Scientist
 
RobMoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: QA
Posts: 4,695
Images: 7
I gave it my vote and review.


__________________

A58581 / A28264
You may not be able to miss fast enough to win a gunfight, but you can definitely hit slow enough to lose one.
RobMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #13
coinboy
Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
 
coinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Howard County
Posts: 3,551
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey View Post
That's hilarious!

Guess we are on the Brady's radar now.

Hi Sarah!

Want to come shoot some guns at the next MD Shooters sponsored event?

Oh, and Sarah, the two guns above are not "Assault Rifles" with "High Capacity Magazines" capable of "spraying bullets" everywhere, they are machine guns. I'd be nice if your association knew the difference.

You have your slogans and we have ours.


__________________
Why don't you have a C&R yet?

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe."
-- U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein Associated Press 11/18/93

"Gun bans are classist, sexist, and racist."

Did you know that coinboy is not a lawyer?
coinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM   #14
ozwyn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 1,188
This the brady same Brady organization whose main leader (sara Brady) conducted what, under their own recommendations, would be a straw man purchase? (she bought a rifle as a gift to her son, but that's a "straw man purchase" based on their own twisted definition)

I don't like the NRA, but they look like angels compared to the Brady scumbags.
ozwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM   #15
smores
Creepy-Ass Cracker
 
smores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Falls Church
Posts: 13,471
Images: 6
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinboy View Post
That's hilarious!

Guess we are on the Brady's radar now.
We probably have been ever since this incident (click play on the video ):

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread...ghlight=unsafe


__________________
Thomas Jefferson: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

THE LIBERTY TREE IS PARCHED
smores is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013, Maryland Shooters, LLC