Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Markp

I'm confused! Where can I shoot?

Quote:
Sec. 57-5. Discharge of guns outside the urban area.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c)(1) through (c)(6), outside the urban area, a person, other than a peace officer or employee of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources performing official duties, must not:

- (1) discharge a gun:

-- (A) onto, across, or within 50 yards of a public road;

-- (B) onto or across property located within 50 yards of a public road;

-- (C) into or within the safety zone (150 yards of a building or camp designed for human occupancy) without the owner or occupant's written consent; or

-- (C) from, onto, or across public or private property without the owner or occupant's written consent;

- (2) discharge a full metal jacketed bullet of any caliber from a gun; or

- (3) except as provided in subsection (b), discharge any fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 caliber from a rifle or pistol.

(b) Exception - High Caliber Ammunition. A person may discharge fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 from a rifle or pistol at:

- (A) legal game or varmints on the ground; or

- (B) a target on or near the ground that will not deflect a bullet.

(c) Other Exceptions. Except as provided in Sections 57-7 and 57-11, a person may discharge a gun:

- (1) on any indoor or outdoor target, trap, skeet, or shooting range that the Firearm Safety Committee has inspected and approved in writing;

-(2) in a private basement or cellar target range;

- (3) when necessary to protect life or property;

- (4) to kill a dangerous animal;

-(5) for discharge of blank cartridges in musical and theatrical performances, parades, or sporting events;

-(6) for salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or

- (7) under a deer damage control permit issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

Ok, so let me get this right according to section a, I can't fire a gun unless I fall under exception b.

b states that I can target shoot as long as the caliber is greater than .25 cal and the target is on or near the ground and won't deflect the bullet, and I am outside the urban area?

So does that mean I can target shoot in a Montgomery County Park outside the urban area??? I am confused. If so, I still can't use a jacketed bullet?!? WTF, or is that part of the exception which does not specify no jacket?

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
fivepointstar

Is this Mont Co Ordinance??

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
Is this Mont Co Ordinance??
Yes, I live in Monkey County.

Mark
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
boricuamaximus

basically, it's a catch all. Only if you live in places like Boyds that you have some property and then you still need to make sure you dont fire at an elevated target and yada yada.

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Mass., at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
1911's dont suck especially if they are Nighthawk, Ed, Les, or Wilson.
boricuamaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #5
GNLaFrance
RIP

You don't really think the people who wrote and passed this law actually knew what they were doing, do you?
GNLaFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #6
novus collectus

If you have a basement you can shoot in urban and non-urban areas in it as long as you do not violate any sound ordinances from what I understand and you can use any ammo.
If it is outdoors or not in a basement, it has to be outside the urban area.
If it is outside the urban area, then you cannot use FMJ and if greater than .25 caliber your target has to be lower than you so that the round will end up in the ground if you missed the backstop basically.
The dirt cannot be so hard as to deflect a bullet basically.

Pay attention to restrictions and laws for the municipality too.

If you are outdoors and outside the urban area, you can shoot at a target near the ground with any caliber with FMJ unless you are within 150 yards of a building without the owner's written permission.

Believe it or not, the shooting restrictions in Monkey co is way less than in PG co.

I am not a lawyer.
novus collectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Cold Steel

Well, what about pellet guns?

Apparently, you CANNOT shoot a pellet gun in your back yard, even with a suitable stop, right? What about with a steel pellet catcher in one's basement?

Where CAN one shoot a pellet gun?

Regarding Montgomery County, discharging of a firearm in any circumstance is asking for trouble. (Apparently the police take a dim view of shooting stop signs and red light motion detector cameras.) According to the folks at the Gilbert's range in Rockville, county people come in there all the time looking to harass them. They also say that local laws require people to buy ammunition from them, which is way overpriced for just shooting!

Isn't there a shooting club in Montgomery County, in Germantown or somewhere?

When I worked on a newspaper in western Kentucky, I used to drive to a rock quarry and shoot against a dirt backdrop. Places like that are being shut down nationwide by litigation and insurance. We're certainly living in horrible times in many ways.

Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Steel View Post
Well, what about pellet guns?

Apparently, you CANNOT shoot a pellet gun in your back yard, even with a suitable stop, right? What about with a steel pellet catcher in one's basement?

Where CAN one shoot a pellet gun?

Regarding Montgomery County, discharging of a firearm in any circumstance is asking for trouble. (Apparently the police take a dim view of shooting stop signs and red light motion detector cameras.) According to the folks at the Gilbert's range in Rockville, county people come in there all the time looking to harass them. They also say that local laws require people to buy ammunition from them, which is way overpriced for just shooting!

Isn't there a shooting club in Montgomery County, in Germantown or somewhere?

When I worked on a newspaper in western Kentucky, I used to drive to a rock quarry and shoot against a dirt backdrop. Places like that are being shut down nationwide by litigation and insurance. We're certainly living in horrible times in many ways.

Well there is CRESAP in Frederick County and there is the Issac Walton League near Germantown... BUT you cannot rapid fire a weapon there. Which is a little irritating, because how am I supposed to practice firing at speed if I have to fire 1 round a second?!?

If I am obeying the law, I should not be asking for trouble... I understand that reality is different than what is right, but the laws are not meant to be interpreted by the police, but enforced by the police. Which is why it's important to understand what is or is not legal, and it appears that I am not much closer.

While I could shoot in my basement, I think it's unwise to uncork my SKS, AR-15, or RPK down there... much less my Mosin or 8mm Mauser.

Ok I think I have this figured out:

So,

I can shoot provided that I am not using a FMJ bullet... I guess that means a Jacketed Hollowpoint is OK.
I can shoot provided I don't shoot in the urban area (lots more rules inside the area.)
I can shoot provided I don't shoot within 150 yards of a building or camp, and not within 50 yards of a public road or across that road.
I can shoot provided that I don't shoot any caliber above .25 cal at a target/varmint that is not on or near the ground. So I can shoot my hollow point .223 at things in the trees, but not my .380 auto... makes sense. NOT!
I can shoot provided that I have written permission of the owner/occupant of public or private land... so who is the "owner/occupant" of public land?!?

Regardless, I can shoot at an "inspected" range, in my basement, at a military funeral, blanks for a variety of reasons, to protect myself, property or to kill a "dangerous" animal, and finally under a deer damage permit.

Mark

Last edited by Markp; April 15th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
novus collectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
Well there is CRESAP in Frederick County and there is the Issac Walton League near Germantown... BUT you cannot rapid fire a weapon there. Which is a little irritating, because how am I supposed to practice firing at speed if I have to fire 1 round a second?!?

If I am obeying the law, I should not be asking for trouble... I understand that reality is different than what is right, but the laws are not meant to be interpreted by the police, but enforced by the police. Which is why it's important to understand what is or is not legal, and it appears that I am not much closer.

While I could shoot in my basement, I think it's unwise to uncork my SKS, AR-15, or RPK down there... much less my Mosin or 8mm Mauser.

Mark
.....that is what silencers are for......

You could also use subcaliber inserts and shoot pistol ammo out of the Mauser and Mosin.
novus collectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Cold Steel

The brutal truth is that most repressive laws are written by people who don't know sh-- about firearms, calibers or bullet configurations. They outlaw shotguns thinking they're outlawing fully automatic weapons because they don't know how to describe what they're trying to ban. They are, alas, idiots.
Cold Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #11
gotguns

The only way you can shoot in Montgomery county is if your involved in a drive by. And your the criminal.
gotguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #12
K-Romulus
Suburban Commando

Yeah, I read the MoCO law to ban even paintball shooting in the "urban area."

MoCO law bans any firearms or ammo within 100 yards of a park (and is arguably a valid law under state preemption). The Maryland-National Capital Park Commission bans all guns in their parks unless allowed for hunting during specific seasons in a particular park, and you get their hunting permit to use the park land.

In MD, I would say that the "relevant government" (state or local) owns the public land (unlike how it is in the rest of America).

There is the Monocacy Pistol Club somewhere out by Damasus. You can fire pistol-caliber carbines on their ranges. And they have IDPA matches, so that should take care of the "rapid fire" part.

I'm not a member, but knew people who were members. Over at The High Road, there is a writeup or two with photos.
K-Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #13
jwbryson1

I am damn frustrated now. I just received a new pellet gun as a gift and intended to shoot it in my neighborhood or backyard with a decent backstop, but if I cannot shoot within Monkey County at ALL, then what is the point of even owning it? Should I just send it back and get a refund? That really pisses me off. Thought? Suggestions? Comments?
jwbryson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #14
HardHatMan
FBHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
I am damn frustrated now. I just received a new pellet gun as a gift and intended to shoot it in my neighborhood or backyard with a decent backstop, but if I cannot shoot within Monkey County at ALL, then what is the point of even owning it? Should I just send it back and get a refund? That really pisses me off. Thought? Suggestions? Comments?
I grew up in Germantown and used to shoot pellet guns and BB guns all the time in my backyard at old phone books. We never had any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
people have every right not to agree with or even accept the way others live their life...however people have no right to let that dislike limit the freedom of others.
HardHatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Kman

It's MD...
THEY don't want you to shoot anything, other than yourself.
Whatever you do is wrong...just concentrate on not getting caught.
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #16
jwbryson1

A neighbor buddy of mine (3 doors down) is a cop. I was thinking of asking him what he thinks. He's cool, and will tell me straight. I am an attorney and I have a lot to lose, so I have to obey the law. Damn liberals!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jwbryson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbryson1 View Post
A neighbor buddy of mine (3 doors down) is a cop. I was thinking of asking him what he thinks. He's cool, and will tell me straight. I am an attorney and I have a lot to lose, so I have to obey the law. Damn liberals!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am in similar straights, I am an officer in the military, and likewise, I have too much to lose. It's all fun and games until you lose your livelihood.

Mark
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #18
THier

Worse comes to worse,, pellet trap in your basement.

Tom

People laugh at me because I am different,, I laugh 'cause they are all the same.

Life time NRA member
THier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #19
swinokur
In a State of Denial

I live in Monkey County. What is defined as an "urban area"?
What does on or near the ground mean?

I have not read it lately but MD code 4-209 is the statute that gives MD preemption over all county ordinances. There are a few exceptions that spell out what counties and incorporated areas can do. Other than those exceptions the county laws are invalid

http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes...gcr/4-209.html

asshats
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #20
Mr H
My foot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotguns View Post
The only way you can shoot in Montgomery county is if your involved in a drive by. And your the criminal.
I thought that was only Baltimore and District Heights...

OOOOH... in MoCo... gotcha!!

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
-Harry S Truman

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
-LP McDonald

Member: MSI BoD, SAF, NRA, GOA
MD Designated Collector
DINO

I speak for me... rarely others.

Next stop... ELECTIONS
Mr H is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues