• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    use? like....is a compact necessary? for any other comparison the XD(m) is just plain the better gun...trigger, stock accuracy(although with the lone wolf barrel alucard's glock is much better than it was...still shoot better with his xdm) grip texturing better on xdm, grip angle waaaayyyy more natural pointing than glock, either one goes bang every time, xdm comes with tons of goodies. the only real thing i can see why you'd buy a glock is because they make just about everything under the sun for them if you wanna personalize and build the gun up....of course, the xdm comes already built up. it'll be interesting to see where this thread goes......vs. threads are always fun

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    Go GLOCK Buy a 26 to compliment your first purchase.

The Glock 17rd mag that came with your Fullsize.
    18, 18C, 17LC, 17L, 17C, 34 Fullsize
    19C, 19 Midsize
    26 Compact frame

J T Bolt

Nov 4, 2007
    District 18
    I personally shoot the XDs much better than the Glocks I've tried. I shoot the XDs I've tried better than I can shoot my 1911, sadly. I don't own a plastic gun, but if I had to get one for whatever reason I wouldn't hesitate to get an XD, full size or compact, even if it cost me $200 more. I'd never buy a sub-compact of any brand, prolly (mitts don't like em).

That's just me. YOU may be different.

Have you test driven both?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    To be more specific and give an example, if you were to own a full size Glock 9mm would it be worth it to you to also own the XDM9?

to me? no. to me the xdm is the better gun for a full size 9mm in capacity and the other points i mentioned earlier. i'd just own the xdm9. now if i was far down my list of guns to own and wanted to collect various pistols i'd get the g17 for the heck of it but would keep he xdm as 9mm fullsize of choice.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I would like to read some comparison opinions from those of you who own both.

It is really what you feel is best for you. I recently added a Glock to my collection but I tried the XDM, M&P, and the Glock, the Glock just felt best to me.

I would suggest you try both and get the one you like best.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    ...................G17 ..................XD(M) 9
    barrel ......... 4.5" polygonal .....4.5" conventional
    length .........7.32"..................7.75"
    Width...........1.18" .................1.18"
    Height..........5.43"...................5.6"
    Weight.........22oz....................32oz
    street price..$525....................$625
    capacity.......17/19/32...............19
    safety..........trigger/striker.........trigger/striker/grip
    trigger ......... 5.5lbs, .5" travel....5.5lbs .2" travel
    indicators.......chamber..............chamber/striker.

Comparing the GLOCK 17 vs the XD(M) 9 is not neccesarily as lopsided as some may think. The comparison has to be fairly limited, because there is really only one XD(M) model available in 2 calibers, there are currently 5 GLOCK frame families with a few variants like short frame medels, and are available in one combination or another in 6 different calibers(7 if you count .380). GLOCK has a much larger variety of calibers and freame sizes even if you add in the standard XD models. GLOCK pistols also have HUGE aftermarket support, there are a wide array of holsters, parts and accesories available for it most anywhere, there is just not much out for the XD(M) outside of a couple holsters and trigger kits. As far as reliability goes, GLOCK set the standard, and has been at the top of the defensive pistol food chain for 2 decades while the XDM while in the experience of most is just as reliable, it doesn't have the extensive police/military and field testing that GLOCK does.

As far as the pistols themselves are concerned, the XD(M) does improve upon the GLOCK in several ways, more conventional grip angle, a better chamber indicator, better grip texture, higher grip placement, more accurate, larger controls, a more comfortably contoured shape, interchangeable backstraps, and a shorter trigger pull. It also holds 2 more rounds in a flush fitting mag, although the GLOCK can equal the XD(M)s capacity with an extended mag, and can hold 13 more rounds in the somewhat impractical 32rd G18 mags. The XD(M) is a physically larger pistol though, and a whopping 10 oz heavier, in fact it is only 2oz shy of the all metal Beretta 92, and when fully loaded is quite heavy. Between the extra weight and high grip angle though, the XD(M) has a lot less percieved recoil, and can recover much faster for quick follow up shots. The XD(M) is also easier to field strip, requiring only a flip of the takedown lever, the GLOCK OTOH uses a cumbersome bar that requires both sides to be pulled down, and the trigger to be pulled.

As far as safety is concerned, the XD(M) and GLOCK both use a paddle in the trigger to prevent them from firing when dropped, and a striker block to prevent firing if the sear were to break or release accidentally, the XD(M) adds a 3rd passive safety in the grip, that can prevent an AD if the trigger were to snag in some situations, although while holstering the pistol your hand is normally on the grip, so in that case, the grip safety wouldn't help. The GLOCK indicates a loaded chamber by a small square extension that protrudes from the extractor, and while it works well off of "feel", it is hard to see if the chamber is loaded by a quick glance, the XD(M) has a much better tab that rises on top of the slide, and is much easier to see and feel, the XD(M) also has a striker indicator that lets you know quickly that the striker is cocked, although this feature is somewhat useless, because of the design, unless you have had a misfire, the striker will always be cocked when the chamber is loaded, and if the chamber isn't loaded it doesn't really matter.

In shooting and owning both, I have found the steel XD(M) trigger to be much smoother and more rigid than the GLOCK's, and because of the design there is much less takeup, although the GLOCK seems to break cleaner, has less overtravel, and a shorter reset. For $20 the GLOCK's trigger can be greatly improved with a GHOST link that limits overtravel, reduces reset, and can reduce the weight of pull if desired, the XD(M) requires a $100 kit to do the same thing, although once installed the XD(M) trigger is much shorter and crisper than the GLOCK with a fitted Ghost link. The GLOCK uses a very strong hammer forged polygonal rifled barrel that helps to preserve velocity by reducing friction and blow by, and in many cases uses a feed ramp cut deep into the chamber to aid in reliable feeding, however with this barrel cheap lead bullets can be dangerous to use, and fired cases can be damaged to the point that they cannot be reloaded in some caliber. The XD(M) uses traditional cut rifling in a relatively tight "match" barrel with good case support(steeper feed ramp) and good rifling this barrel helps make the XD(M) a very accurate pistol, and although on paper it should affect reliability, you would probably not notice a difference unless you drop the pistol in the mud and dirt.

The XDM also includes 3 different backstraps to fit most anyones hand, although they really only affect the bottom 2/3 of the grip, meaning that larger inserts basically make the pistol point higher, and do not affect the reach to the trigger, most everyone seems to like the #2 insert. The XD(M) also has a very natural grip angle, similar to a 1911 or CZ75, and is very comfortable if held in a "thumbs forward" grip, if you hold it "thumbs high" you can feel that your thumbs are resting on the edge of the thumb rest channel though, and not where the engineers intended them to be. The GLOCK doesn't have replaceable inserts, and basically gives you a radically swept grip angle that many do not like, myself included. This makes most GLOCKs naturally point high for me, and it does take some getting used to, although the new SF models reduce the bulge at the rear ofthe grip, and bring the muzzle down a good bit, and IMO are a vast improvement for those who like a 1911's grip angle. The pistol can slip around a little bit due to the relatively mild texture on the sides of the grip, although the front and back straps are relatively knobby. The GLOCK also has a lot more flex in the frame and trigger while shooting, it uses a more flexible polymer with less support from the steel inserts and chassis, not neccesarily detrimental to shooting, but it does take a lot to get used to.

IMO, it would come down to either the $100 difference in price, and comfort between both, if they both felt good, and I wanted to keep it mostly as a range/SD gun, I would pick the XD(M), easier to shoot, and more accurate. If my life depended on the pistol with any frequency, or I intended to carry it through a lot of dust and mud where it was not practical to clean it often, and I just wanted a pistol that would go bang every time, I would take the GLOCK.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I shot a G17 and a XD in .45 at Continental and i actually like the swept grip on the Glock much better than the XD's grip angle. I don't know if the .45's grip angle is any different, i am assuming its not. They both shot very accurately, i could not tell any difference. I really think you have to shoot both a few times before you make your mind, I'm in the market myself. Anything over 100.00 is wise to try out a few times in order to make the best decision.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Well we all know opinions are like ........and there are plenty of them here. I will not say that the XD series gun are bad guns- I think they are okay guns. What I have a problem with is a bunch of guys like Mark saying things like "mental institution" when they have the collective knowledge and experience of zero. Some of the assertions made above make no sense like the XD pointing more naturally when the Glock boreline sits considerably lower in your hand.

If you want to stick to facts, ask yourself the following questions:

- Which one does the majority of American law enforcement use including the FBI?
    - Which one is used by US Special Operations units?
    - Which one is used by numerous foreign militaries?
    - Which one has been around long enough to have sufficient real World data behind it? If you are talking the M, it has a whole couple of months behind it.

Before anyone says anything about "we aren't taking these to Iraq" (that would be you Numidian with your vast experience), what the above indicate is that one of the two guns has a tremendous amount of independent testing and credibility behind it (Glock) and the other has very little (XD). Doesn't make the XD a bad gun. Are you going to trust your life to it? Are you a betting man? Now make an educated choice.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    my father has an XD 40, i have a g 23. I shoot both of them SUBSTANTIALLY I like the slim feel of an XD but i dont own multiple glocks for no reason. for my buck, im picking a glock.
    Although I can respect your choice, the comparison isn't between the XD and a Glock, it's between the XDM and the Glock - the XD and the XDM are quite a bit different.

rummy

Jan 11, 2008
    opinions are like what...? you know the answer.

i prefer the glock. it is tried and true and works for me.
    oh, by tried and true, i mean it has been around since 1982, whereas the xdm traces its lineage to the HS2000 - c.1999

it wouldn't take a 'mental institution' full of doctors to figure out that maybe, JUUUUST maybe, the springfield folks saw something good coming from austria/smyrna and decided to follow the money...and based on my - woefully unreliable - wikipedia research, it was the croatians that went and swashbuckled the design originally. are you happy? now you have a bootlegged firearm, hah!

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    opinions are like what...? you know the answer.

i prefer the glock. it is tried and true and works for me.
    oh, by tried and true, i mean it has been around since 1982, whereas the xdm traces its lineage to the HS2000 - c.1999

it wouldn't take a 'mental institution' full of doctors to figure out that maybe, JUUUUST maybe, the springfield folks saw something good coming from austria/smyrna and decided to follow the money...and based on my - woefully unreliable - wikipedia research, it was the croatians that went and swashbuckled the design originally. are you happy? now you have a bootlegged firearm, hah!

Roger and I believe they are still made there for Springfield, correct? Like I said not a bad gun, but they do not have much behind them except opinions and hype from the manufacturer at this point in time.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    we need to have a head to head test one day.

I just think there are too many glock bigots outs there.

Who is king of the plastics?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Who is king of the plastics?

DuPont. To be the guy(s) who invented Zytel and realize that all you got for your work was a DuPont paycheck and maybe a letter of appreciation for your discovery since the intellectual property rights and patent was owned by the company.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom