Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns

Old March 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
steampunk

IAC HAWK Mag Extension Install

Thought I would just do a quick write up since I just finished this. Custom 2 round mag extensions are available from max100 who has posted here and other places about his Hawk endeavors. His contact info is
==GUN CONNECTION==
GunConnect@prtcnet.com
7103 HWY 101 N
GRAY COURT SC 29645

He answers emails very quickly, ships fast, makes a nice product and is glad to help. I am very pleased with his customer service.

So here's what you get:

Mag tube extension, follower and spring.

Here's the difference:

It's pretty straight forward, you need the following tools:
A Drill, a 3/16 drill bit, oil, sand paper or a Dremel with sander bit, flat tip screw driver, electrical tape, some rags and a wire coat hanger.

The Hawk takes down like an 870 and the instructions are in the manual. Unscrew the magazine cap, put the bolt at half open and jiggle the barrel until it slides loose being careful not to scratch the mag tube when sliding the lug off. In the mag tube there is a plastic cap that is being held in by the little indents that we will be getting rid of. It has a slot at the end. Use a flat tip screw driver to turn it while keeping pressure on it or the spring will fly out and scare you. Pull this cap out and the spring and shake the shotgun upside down until the follower on the receiver side falls out.

Secure the gun to your bench or table and stuff a rag in the receiver end of the mag tube to keep any stray metal shavings out from the drilling. I clamped the stock and supported the front of the gun with a folded up bath towel. I put tape on the mag tube threads and on the other side of the indents so not to scratch anything up.

Put some oil on the indent to help with drilling and to keep shavings from flying everywhere. I also put some tape on my drill bit to keep it from going to deep once it made it through. Try to keep it straight and start drilling. It drills very easily and almost no pressure is needed. This will also keep you from going too far once you pop through as well.
Then you have this

yes that was the bad side I was a little off, but not to worry the entire area is covered by the barrel lug. Once you do one side flip the gun over and do the other side. Now take your Dremel or sand paper and smooth out the inside of the magazine tube. I can imagine that this could be a bit tedious with sandpaper. I have a Dremel and sanded and polished it smooth as glass. Just make sure your new follower slides in the tube without hanging up on any burs, and is nice and smooth. Now you're almost finished and you just need to clean up the magazine tube to get any shavings and dust out. I used a liberal amount of oil and a rag and pushed it through the tube with a coat hanger until it came out clean. Now drop in your new follower, put the new spring in and reinstall the barrel in the reverse you took it off. Now screw on your new extension tube to hold everything in place and you are done!

With the high vis follower that max100 includes the Hawk will now take 6+1 shells. With a metal follower it will take 7+1 2 3/4 inch shells. Thanks, to max100 for the email help and Dan at Gun Connection here for the great service when purchasing the Hawk. Now what to put on it next

Last edited by steampunk; March 15th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
steampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
nerd
nerdy mcnerderson

i know what's next: that bracket for the flashlight.

Old March 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Spot77

Good write up.

One of these days I might do that to my IAC.....
Spot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #4
nerd
nerdy mcnerderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Good write up.

One of these days I might do that to my IAC.....
dooo eeet.

Old March 16th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #5
MAX100

steampunk

Good job and good writeup. The tube extension looks nice installed.

With standard 2 3/4" shells you should be able to get 7 in the tube with the solid end follower. The spring maybe a little long. You can trim a few coils off but I wouldn't trim it under 25" and shape the end. Some shells are a little longer than standard and you will only be able to get 6 in the tube with them. Open end metal followers allow the most room in a shotgun mag tube and you will be able to get 7 in the tube with all 2 3/4" shells but ones that are rolled crimped like Wolf.

A good low cost upgrade that can be done too the 982 is to replace the two flat head slot screws that hold the rear ghost ring sight on with socket head screws. Also replace the elevation set screw with a socket set screw. The size is M4 and they are sold at most hardware stores for 50 cent each. They look and hold better. Get the right length set screw but you will have to get the socket head screws longer and size them with a grinder or dremel. Pull the trigger group and you can see how far they protrude into the receiver and shorten them accordingly. Don't over tighten them.

GC
MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #6
steampunk

Thanks again for your quick replies to my email questions and tips. The 7th shell just barely won't go in, and I'll be picking up and aluminum follower which will remedy that.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #7
LastDon

I will likely be doing this very soon.
LastDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #8
AKbythebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunk View Post
Thanks again for your quick replies to my email questions and tips. The 7th shell just barely won't go in, and I'll be picking up and aluminum follower which will remedy that.
Hey Steampunk, I had the same problem with the 7th shell not going in. Turns out the problem was not with the extension or spring, it was simply that the shells were longer than standard. If you are using shells where it is rolled at the end, they come out just a bit longer than standard pressed shells.

What ammo are you using. Get a ruller and measure it end to end. If you measure a few different types of shells you'll see that not all 2 3/4" shells are the same length. I suspect you may have the longer ones. Once I switched over to standard pressed 2 3/4" rounds I had no problem.

Hope this helps - it will save you a lot of grief if this is the cause. Good luck!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence...The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour."

-- George Washington
AKbythebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #9
AKbythebay

Here's a couple photos of my Hawk with Max's mag extension on it and new stock & flashlight

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence...The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour."

-- George Washington
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #10
wyomingboy

Betcha that flashlight makes a dandy target.

Doodads!
wyomingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #11
steampunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingboy View Post
Betcha that flashlight makes a dandy target.

Doodads!
It would, but it stops zombies in their tracks like deer in the headlights Looks great I think I'm going with the same stock setup
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #12
AKbythebay

SP - did you measure the length of the shells you are using?

-- George Washington
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #13
Tootall
Feelings Hurter

Send a message via Yahoo to Tootall
cant help it heres mine. I'm thinking the mag extension will be added soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
I have a wooden leg, therefore I am a table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
I have a 6 sided dildo. Every rear I throw it at, it finds a hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77
I'm in for a couple of any size and color, but my preferred choice would be BIG (16 ounce or bigger) and probably black.
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #14
donliv

Two questions: how much is the mag extension and who makes the flashlight clamp?
donliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #15
steampunk

mag extension was 67 including shipping, not sure about the the clamp, but it looks like the streamlight clamp.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM   #16
netspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
steampunk

A good low cost upgrade that can be done too the 982 is to replace the two flat head slot screws that hold the rear ghost ring sight on with socket head screws. Also replace the elevation set screw with a socket set screw. The size is M4 and they are sold at most hardware stores for 50 cent each. They look and hold better. Get the right length set screw but you will have to get the socket head screws longer and size them with a grinder or dremel. Pull the trigger group and you can see how far they protrude into the receiver and shorten them accordingly. Don't over tighten them.

GC
I've replaced the screws on my 982. Makes a world of difference!

Ten Bears- Outlaw Josie Wales
K3AKE
netspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #17
B1web
Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)

Awesome write up....I may just take the plunge.

The Screws for the Ghost rings can be purchased here:

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=23&cd=1321

The mounting bolts are M4 x 6mm part number 6504 (rather than a dremmel if your so inclined).

Had to post a pic of mine as well...love this shotgun (thanx Dan)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBS.jpg (66.7 KB, 114 views)

Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #18
AKbythebay

Kick ass! That looks sweet!

-- George Washington
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM   #19
FrankOceanXray

B1web: ref. the TLR1, did you intend to get a remote end-cap with tape switch?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=71938
FrankOceanXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #20
MAX100

Something a little different. Here is one of my Norinco made shotguns, the H&R NEF Pardner Protector. Same shotgun as the 982 with a different style receiver. The recoil is very light with the pistol grip stock and muzzle brake. It's a joy to shoot.

SpeedFeed LE Stock
Hogue Forend
Vang safety
John Masen HS
Ceramic non rust finish
King Armory Breacher Brake
GC 7+1 Mag Extension
Hi Viz Spark II sight

GC
MAX100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns