Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
rstickle

Designated Collector Regulations?

Quote:
The Maryland Designated Collector (MDC)" status is a MARYLAND status that allows a person to purchase more than one "regulated firearm" (Handguns or "Assault Rifles") in a month within the state of Maryland. You can ask a local dealer for the form. It needs to be certified and mailed to the Maryland State Police. You should receive the status in about a month.
This is basically all I've seen so far about MDC regulations. I just finished trying to find more info on the MSP site, which was worthless.

The reason I'm looking is that I heard someone yesterday say there is an annual limit of 12 regulated firearms per year even with the MDC, never heard that, but would sure like to know it it's true or if there are any other restrictions.

Anyone know, or point me to the right place to look?

EOD: Initial success or total failure.
rstickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #2
novus collectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
This is basically all I've seen so far about MDC regulations. I just finished trying to find more info on the MSP site, which was worthless.

The reason I'm looking is that I heard someone yesterday say there is an annual limit of 12 regulated firearms per year even with the MDC, never heard that, but would sure like to know it it's true or if there are any other restrictions.

Anyone know, or point me to the right place to look?
There is no 12 regulated firearm limit.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/29/29.03.01.04.htm
http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/

Quote:
D. For the purpose of this regulation, a collector is an individual who:

(1) Devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection and does not act as a firearm dealer; or

(2) Possesses a Federal Collector's License (Curio and Relics).

E. The Secretary shall adopt an application form to be used by an individual who desires to be designated as a collector. The application shall contain:

(1) The applicant's:

(a) Full name;

(b) Address;

(c) Driver's license or photographic identification soundex number;

(d) Social Security number;

(e) Date and place of birth;

(f) Height;

(g) Weight;

(h) Race;

(i) Sex;

(j) Eye color;

(k) Hair color;

(l) Occupation; and

(m) Home and work telephone numbers; and

(2) The nature of the applicant's collecting activities.

F. The applicant shall sign the application and certify under penalty of perjury that the information in the application is true and correct.

G. Incomplete or illegible applications shall be disapproved.

H. An individual who desires to be designated as a collector shall have the application notarized and submit the application by first class mail to the Secretary requesting this designation.

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

K. If the individual is denied a request to be a collector or has had the collector designation revoked, the individual may request a review of the decision in writing or request a hearing before the Commander of the Licensing Division, Supervisor of the Firearms Registration Section, or the denying officer within 30 days of the notification of denial or revocation.

L. The individual shall be granted a review of the denial to be designated a collector within 30 days of the individual's request for review.

M. An individual must be designated as a collector by the Secretary before applying to purchase multiple regulated firearms as a collector.

N. The Secretary shall revoke without prejudice an individual's designated collector's status by written notification forwarded to the individual in person or by mail to the individual's last known address if the individual is:

(1) Under indictment for a crime of violence; or

(2) Arrested for any violation that would prohibit the purchase or possession of a regulated firearm.
novus collectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #3
rstickle

That's what I thought........ Thanks!

EOD: Initial success or total failure.
rstickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:33 AM   #4
kamikazeH20mln

Is there any place to get the MDC and hand deliver to the MD State Police to speed up the process?
kamikazeH20mln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:32 AM   #5
zoostation

Quote:
J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

Now there's a rule I didn't know about. Interesting considering the wait times of months people are having.

zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:27 AM   #6
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post

Now there's a rule I didn't know about. Interesting considering the wait times of months people are having.
I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

I'm reading this to mean once your properly filled out application is in the mail you are a collector.

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM   #7
snavematt
say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazeH20mln View Post
Is there any place to get the MDC and hand deliver to the MD State Police to speed up the process?
have it notorized with a stamp not a seal, and fax the sucker, will get it back faster. I got mine in a week
snavematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM   #8
13mogul

BUY, BUY, BUY. as many guns as you want, ALL year long.
13mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM   #9
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snavematt View Post
have it notorized with a stamp not a seal, and fax the sucker, will get it back faster. I got mine in a week
Good point. I got mine within a couple weeks through the mail but that was a few years ago.

Do you have the fax # you can post?

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM   #10
JMintzer
Hoarding Douche Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post

Yeah, but that's once you've been "designated by the Secretary". That could be the backlog...

Jamie

Not an "expert", just a guy who likes to shoot and knows what works for me...
JMintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Threeband
The M1 Does My Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab_Normal View Post

I'm reading this to mean once your properly filled out application is in the mail you are a collector.
No.

I mailed my form in last August 14, and my Designated Collector status was dated December 19. I didn't actually receive the letter until late January.

During the period, I bought a couple of regulated firearms, and played it safe by answering "no" to the question, "Are you a Designated Collector?" (or however it's phrased).

Turns out I was right to play it safe.

Anyway, it looks like MSP is guilty of violating their own rules. Maybe I should sue them for mental anguish. Who knows how many ill-advised impulse purchases they prevented me from making?
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM   #12
kamikazeH20mln

Quote:
Originally Posted by snavematt View Post
nice. what is the mystery fax number?

also, do you have to have your Fed C&R BEFORE applying? I see it listed on the form as item B, but wasn't sure if it was a AND or OR for A and B.
kamikazeH20mln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM   #13
novus collectus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazeH20mln View Post
nice. what is the mystery fax number?

also, do you have to have your Fed C&R BEFORE applying? I see it listed on the form as item B, but wasn't sure if it was a AND or OR for A and B.
The C&R is not needed, but if you have it you can use it as one of the reasons.
novus collectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
No.

I mailed my form in last August 14, and my Designated Collector status was dated December 19. I didn't actually receive the letter until late January.

During the period, I bought a couple of regulated firearms, and played it safe by answering "no" to the question, "Are you a Designated Collector?" (or however it's phrased).

Turns out I was right to play it safe.

Anyway, it looks like MSP is guilty of violating their own rules. Maybe I should sue them for mental anguish. Who knows how many ill-advised impulse purchases they prevented me from making?
I played it safe too. I got a call from someone at MSP who said I had been approved but I waited until I had the letter in my grubby little paw before I tried claiming the collector designation.

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM   #15
swinokur
In a State of Denial

I applied months ago and have heard nothing. Guess I need to reapply of call to find out what happened
swinokur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #16
rsideout

I was approved in mid December, but still have not received my letter. I have an email from the office who approved me stating you can start buying now and any dealer who has a question is free to contact me.

I bought 3 stripped lowers at once a few weeks later with no issues. I also picked up a Glock 23 a week or so later. Again, no issues.
rsideout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM   #17
smokedog

Same here I recieved an email saying I am good to go and if any questions contact them with no letter recieved yet.

NRA member

"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #18
MightyWarMonger
0351 Semper Fi

Location: 90 00 S, 0 00 E You will be sorry when I'm gone, dead, or armed
So no fax number than?

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
MightyWarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #19
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWarMonger View Post
So no fax number than?
1111 Reisterstown Road,
Pikesville, MD 21208
The Licensing Division phone number is 410-653-4500
The fax number is 410-653-5441
The email address is Licensing@mdsp.org.

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/Licensing_Faq.pdf
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #20
MightyWarMonger
0351 Semper Fi

Location: 90 00 S, 0 00 E You will be sorry when I'm gone, dead, or armed
You rock brother you are turning into my little pocket guide (on my droid)

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
MightyWarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)