• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    What are the laws for a md resident to sell a rifle to a resident in oregon. I have a semi-auto rifle that I am selling the person in Oregon has given me their FFL dealer's info. What do I have to do to make this happen (do I need to go thru my FFL delaer or just send to theirs, do I need to contact state police & etc...)?

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Best to also check with your local Post Office and ask what you need to do. The USPS will likely be the cheapest way to go. You may ship long guns through the USPS as an individual if shipping to an FFL (keep a copy of the FFL for your records and to show the Post Office).

As an individual (and not an FFL), you MAY NOT ship a handgun through the postal system. You may ship a handgun through a Maryland FFL to another FFL.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Best to also check with your local Post Office and ask what you need to do. The USPS will likely be the cheapest way to go. You may ship long guns through the USPS as an individual if shipping to an FFL (keep a copy of the FFL for your records and to show the Post Office).

As an individual (and not an FFL), you MAY NOT ship a handgun through the postal system. You may ship a handgun through a Maryland FFL to another FFL.

Fed/EX likes to hear the words sporting goods if they ask what's in the box from my experience.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FedEx and UPS will accept firearms to or from a licensee. So you can ship it via either one.

Up to you, if you want to pay an MD FFL to ship that, that will also work. But not needed for MD or Federal laws.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Fed/EX likes to hear the words sporting goods if they ask what's in the box from my experience.

VERY BAD ADVICE. If you provide a false statement about shipping a firearm, you may find the Feds knocking on your door. Not a good idea.

You may not mark or identify on the outside of the package what it is, but you must be truthful if they ask. "Sporting goods" is quibbling and will get you in a whole heap of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    FedEx and UPS will accept firearms to or from a licensee. So you can ship it via either one.

Up to you, if you want to pay an MD FFL to ship that, that will also work. But not needed for MD or Federal laws.

He does not need to ship through a FFL if it's a long gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom