Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot

Old December 31st, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Alphabrew
Iconoclast

80% poly lowers $50

Says no jig needed. Obviously not legal to complete post 10/1 , but an interesting product never the less. I think the sale ends today, then back to $65.

I have no experience or opinion with/on these.

http://www.eparmory.com/Lower-Receivers-s/1819.htm

From the seller:

Description:
• Extremely durable kevlar reinforced polymer
• Limited lifetime warranty
• No jig needed
• Made in the U.S.A.
• Corrosion resistant and petroleum chemical resistant
• Lightweight design
• No coatings to worry about scratching
• 1/3 the cost $$$ of all competition due to JIG-LESS design
Make your own AR-15 without the hassle of serial numbers and registration. With our jig-less EP 80% AR 15 lower receiver, you can easily build your own AR 15 at home with general tools. Get your own EP80 receiver today and put the second amendment back into your hands.

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Alphabrew
Iconoclast

Internet consensus seems to be that these are not that great. Oh, well.

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Fishguy

I got one pre October and finished it. Seems fine to me, you just need patience and to take your time.

Most of the bad reviews I've seen seem to be operator error in my opinion.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2
Fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Pinecone

If it is truly Kevlar reinforced, but at 80%, carving out the fire control group well would be a PITA. Kevlar is VERY hard to cut.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:14 PM   #5
jpo183

I have one of these and finishing it (prior Oct 1 ofc) was relatively easy. I bought a blem for $10 ..figured why not.

Used a drill press as I could not find the right router tool for the dremel. Was relatively easy just take your time. The FCG area is a different color so its easy to do. I have heard problems come with the take down hole, etc. The big issue is alignment.

I ordered a LPK lat week and am waiting for it to come in. I will give you feedback once I get it.

One thing to mention this was the first lower or "gun smithing" I have ever done so any screw ups could just be my fault.

The material feels very strong. I also have a new frontier poly lower and according to reviews that is a good lower. The material on the EP Lower is MUCH MUCH stronger.

I did not risk buying one of the 80% polymer lowers from 80% or whatever his name is. I have seen ONE youtube review which states the 80% lower is better than EP but not for functionality but because of the jig. If the holes do not line up on my EP then I can see why the jib would be better for that portion.

I will be putting the LPK in both the EP and the NW just to see fitting.

“... arms ... discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.... Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them.” —Thomas Paine

NRA Range Safety Officer
Maryland Designated Collector
MD CCW Holder
Amateur Ham
jpo183 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Alphabrew
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpo183 View Post
I have one of these and finishing it (prior Oct 1 ofc) was relatively easy. I bought a blem for $10 ..figured why not.

Used a drill press as I could not find the right router tool for the dremel. Was relatively easy just take your time. The FCG area is a different color so its easy to do. I have heard problems come with the take down hole, etc. The big issue is alignment.

I ordered a LPK lat week and am waiting for it to come in. I will give you feedback once I get it.

One thing to mention this was the first lower or "gun smithing" I have ever done so any screw ups could just be my fault.

The material feels very strong. I also have a new frontier poly lower and according to reviews that is a good lower. The material on the EP Lower is MUCH MUCH stronger.

I did not risk buying one of the 80% polymer lowers from 80% or whatever his name is. I have seen ONE youtube review which states the 80% lower is better than EP but not for functionality but because of the jig. If the holes do not line up on my EP then I can see why the jib would be better for that portion.

I will be putting the LPK in both the EP and the NW just to see fitting.
Awesome, let us know how it goes with the LPK installation! I may get one as a curiosity piece, of course.

I assume the fire control pocket is a different material than the rest of the lower? Perhaps a material that is more easily milled?

Old January 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Alphabrew
Iconoclast

A Beastie Boys fan milled one out with a dremel in under an hour (doubt it was his first time, though). He fires the completed rifle at the end, looks and functions great!

Old January 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM   #8
FrankOceanXray

The price really dropped.

There is a multiple page thread about these.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=71938
FrankOceanXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:16 PM   #9
jpo183

urg

“... arms ... discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.... Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them.” —Thomas Paine

NRA Range Safety Officer
MD CCW Holder
Amateur Ham
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #10
jpo183

Here's a quick comparison since I was bored

NRA Range Safety Officer
MD CCW Holder
Amateur Ham
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Alphabrew
Iconoclast

Quote:

Here's a quick comparison since I was bored
Thanks! The EP 80 looks great. If it was legal for me to finish one I'd pick a few up.

Old January 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #12
ibanez320dx
New guy.

I purchased a blem before Oct 1st and had issues with the safety selector. I was all happy putting it together until I tried to put the selector in and it was a no go. The little nub that sticks up on the right side was lower than the left side. I didnt realize this until after drilling. I was bummed out. So I in theory have a working lower just without the safety. It now resides in a droor...
P.S. This is the same company as EP Lowers. They changed their name a couple of weeks ago. They had both domain names selling the same product for a while apparently.

Old January 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM   #13
jpo183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez320dx View Post
I purchased a blem before Oct 1st and had issues with the safety selector. I was all happy putting it together until I tried to put the selector in and it was a no go. The little nub that sticks up on the right side was lower than the left side. I didnt realize this until after drilling. I was bummed out. So I in theory have a working lower just without the safety. It now resides in a droor...
P.S. This is the same company as EP Lowers. They changed their name a couple of weeks ago. They had both domain names selling the same product for a while apparently.
Did it result in the lever not catching? Why not sand down the other side? Or was it an issue of "not high enough"?

NRA Range Safety Officer
MD CCW Holder
Amateur Ham
Old January 1st, 2014, 04:13 PM   #14
cap6888

I too bought a bunch of the $10 blems and finished them before October 1. I have only put one together so far. I am having a issue with the FCG, which I think is possibly because the trigger and hammer pins are ever so slightly out of alignment. This seems to be a common complaint wit the EP lowers. They bill themselves as a jig less lower, and they have small raised dimples to align the holes. I think using a jig would probably be a better option. The jig that comes with the Polymer 80 looks like it is what is causing better reviews.

I'm looking forward to either an EP lower Or Polymer 80 AR 10 lower. The polymer material makes finishing it with simple tools very easy. There is even talk by both of these companies to make a polymer 1911 lower.
cap6888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 04:19 PM   #15
Alphabrew
Iconoclast

I want to see an 80% poly Suomi receiver, for curio purposes, of course. That would be a cool one and parts kits are cheap for those people still living in America and not Marylandistan.

Old January 1st, 2014, 05:06 PM   #16
ibanez320dx
New guy.

Quote:
Did it result in the lever not catching? Why not sand down the other side? Or was it an issue of "not high enough"?
It is too far off to get the selector in. I would have to make the hole on the right side more oval to make it work. Or try to plug the hole and re-drill it. A coworker was doing one at the same time and his was the same. He used a deburring tool to make it fit. It works but looks like crap. We both bought blems so I cant really blame the company. Just a lesson learned I guess. But I've seen many others have 0 issues with them.

Old January 1st, 2014, 05:13 PM   #17
jpo183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez320dx View Post
It is too far off to get the selector in. I would have to make the hole on the right side more oval to make it work. Or try to plug the hole and re-drill it. A coworker was doing one at the same time and his was the same. He used a deburring tool to make it fit. It works but looks like crap. We both bought blems so I cant really blame the company. Just a lesson learned I guess. But I've seen many others have 0 issues with them.
I hear you can use jb weld and then redrill it.

NRA Range Safety Officer
MD CCW Holder
Amateur Ham
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:37 AM   #18
huesmann
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
If it is truly Kevlar reinforced, but at 80%, carving out the fire control group well would be a PITA. Kevlar is VERY hard to cut.
I believe the actual lower material (what's left behind after milling) is reinforced. The part that gets milled out would not need to be reinforced--since it it a different color (so you know when to stop milling), it can be a different material.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #19
jpo183

Ok installed the LPK today. Here is the video, sorry for the bad quality. I do have a question that needs answering. If I dont get any responses here Ill post under the rifle section

NRA Range Safety Officer
MD CCW Holder
Amateur Ham
Old January 12th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Shazam

I had selector position issues too. Also my take down pin holes had to be made oval to fit the upper. Yes, it works, but it's not great.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot