• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Anyone use olive oil on their gunstocks in place of linseed? My old man has been swearing about it, but I doubt.

As a test I recently did my kitchen knives and they came out looking better than their previous treatment with boiled linseed.

Thinking of trying it...........I like the organic earthy (and non-exothermic) nature, but I worry about a bunch of rancid oil in my safe.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I thought you only used olive oil on Italian guns:innocent0

Seriously, Linseed oil is completely organic.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    Ballistol works great also. As you mentioned, olive oil will build up and get rancid over time.

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Eat lotsa potato chips in between rounds and you never need to worry about those stocks.
    Seriously, beeswax works real well. Just wipe any excess off and buff with a terry towel.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Olive oil attracts insects unless the safe is air tight. Would suck to open the safe and find it filled with ants.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought you only used olive oil on Italian guns:innocent0

Seriously, Linseed oil is completely organic.

Not the "solvents" in the boiled variety.

Though seriously, the knives and cutting board are open air so they werent going to go rancid. I worry when I lock 20+ of them up in a safe.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Anyone use olive oil on their gunstocks in place of linseed? My old man has been swearing about it, but I doubt.

As a test I recently did my kitchen knives and they came out looking better than their previous treatment with boiled linseed.

Thinking of trying it...........I like the organic earthy (and non-exothermic) nature, but I worry about a bunch of rancid oil in my safe.

Oil her up good, then when you go out in the 98 degree weather next summer to shoot, you can use the oil that comes out for salad dressing. As a wood worker I can tell you that Olive Oil never truly hardens up like BLO.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have been experimenting with this a little (gradually) and I am actually impressed by the results.

I started with the kitchen knifehandles (rosewood but they get beat fairly hard).

Moved on to an extra M1 carbine stock. Some thoughts:

1. It does a really good job of removing grime from the stocks, well see how it handles overtime.

2. Gives a light gloss, a little more glossy than BLO

3. As it doesnt have a solvent fraction, you have to spend a lot more time rubbing it to remove the greasy feel.

Here are my conclusions. Olive oil actually works quite well as a mild solvent for very vintage guns (doesnt hurt sensitive carbon bluing) and stocks and removes a lot of built up grime. Well see how the test stock looks in a couple months, I can always BLO over it.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    No, no, no... Don't use food products on your guns.

This is as poorly thought out as putting peanut butter on leather.

Just don't do it.

:facepalm:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    No, no, no... Don't use food products on your guns.

This is as poorly thought out as putting peanut butter on leather.

Just don't do it.

:facepalm:

A little more thought out than that, which is why I am testing it on a few extra wood stocks first. Ill tell you one thing, I never saw so much grime come off this stock while leaving the finish intact.

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/restoration.html

I am not suggesting using this as lube, metal preservative or anything else.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I had a rifle that had a good sized scratch on the stock. Having no other oil on hand at the time, olive oil filled the gap. It matched the original stain pretty good. I dunno about doing a whole stock in olive oil but I would most definitely use it to blend in scratches.

Ill have to try that peanut butter on leather next since the olive oil worked so well. :o

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Olive Oil is one of the oils that can go rancid in a short period of time, And in some cases smell and grown mold and or fungus.
    I would not recommend using it on a firearm.

6t5Goat

Jul 5, 2013
    Mineral Oil will work and won't go rancid... I can be bought at the pharmacy.. they sell it as a laxative..

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Renaissance wax is a good product for preservation of wood and metal. Even available thru Midway USA. Will not deteriorate into an acidic compound, unlike beeswax and carnauba.

I useit straight on wood; treat metal with Eezox, then wax, for long-term protection.

Olive oil can be used on gut violin strings, BTW, so long as you avoid the bowed areas. Keeps sweat from damaging the strings as quickly.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ballistol works great also. As you mentioned, olive oil will build up and get rancid over time.

This. Ballistol is basically a fatty acid with some solvents thrown in to make it easier to apply. The main ingredient (oleic acid) may help lower your cholesterol if you happen to drink it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom