Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Old November 11th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
ihriec

Left eye dominant but right handed

I am left eye dominant but right handed. For handgun shooting this is not a big problem but for rifle shooting I was thinking about teaching myself to shoot left handed. Do you think starting out with a Ruger 10/22 is a good place to start? I have no experience with rifles and would eventually also like to get a shotgun.
ihriec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2
mxrider

While I can't answer your question, I have interest in the responses as I just recently found out my wife is the same way. My oldest son (who has no interest in our hobby) learned he was left eye dominant many years ago in Cub Scouts. Wonder if it's a genetic thing?

All comments posted by me are the express opinion of myself only and do not represent the opinions of any other person or organization unless posted otherwise.
mxrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Mdeng

MSI Executive Member

Starting out with any .22 lr rifle would be a great way to start. A semi auto may be a little more of a challenge since you will have casings ejecting into your face or at a minimum your line of sight.

It is far easier to learn to do something with your left hand versus changing your dominate eye.

Old November 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
rj1974
eating crayons and paste

Send a message via Yahoo to rj1974
I have the same issue and only shoot right handed with no issues . I just have to close my left eye when shooting a rifle , although with reddots it is not an issue I can still use my right eye with both open . I just worked through it over the years .

I can shoot left as well but prefer right .

Old November 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Multifaceted
Jerk of all Trades

My wife is the same way, she learned to shoot rifles left-handed and does rather well.

Can't really go wrong with the 10/22, the only real downside is that .22lr ammo is not as common as it used to be.
Multifaceted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
robertt822

I am left eye dominant but right handed, have watched brass fly in front of my face years with semiautomatic rifles, just got used to it, was not a big deal until I fired a Tavor and the brass kept hitting me in the face. But best of all Stag makes a left handed AR-15 which I bought a few years ago, however you cannot with the new laws. And by the way I also have a 10/22 and have no issues with it.
robertt822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #7
SCARCQB
Get Opp my rawn, Plick!

My son is the same way. He has learned to shoot well with a rifle with two eyes open ... With an eotech

Not to act is an act, not to speak is to speak.
SCARCQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #8
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARCQB View Post
My son is the same way. He has learned to shoot well with a rifle with two eyes open ... With an eotech
that's what I have to do...Im left eye dominant but shoot right handed...I cant shoot left handed unless im just messing around and my grouping is not very good lol

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Powerstroke

Yeah I am exactly the same. I used to always shoot right handed and would have to turn my head all the way over to the right to see the sight with my left eye not even thinking that was wrong until I went to buy a bow, learning I was left eye dominant. I practiced shooting left handed with a pellet gun at first, it was awkward but I got used to it pretty quickly.
Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #10
rdc

My wife has the same issue. Started shooting left handed. She shoots a 10/22 no problem left handed.

Old November 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Jerry M

Train yourself to shoot left handed. It will prove beneficial if you ever try wing shooting.

Good luck

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Cochise

I am right eye dominant and left handed. I shoot right handed with long guns and ambi with hand guns.
You pretty much need to follow your dominant eye especially with shotguns.

In your case Left handed guns will be a pain so if you can shoot right handed it will be cheaper.
Cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #13
GUNSnROTORS
Boots and Saddles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihriec View Post
I am left eye dominant but right handed. For handgun shooting this is not a big problem but for rifle shooting I was thinking about teaching myself to shoot left handed. Do you think starting out with a Ruger 10/22 is a good place to start? I have no experience with rifles and would eventually also like to get a shotgun.
Since you're just starting out with rifles, learning lefty would be ideal. Eye dominance plays a more critical role in long-gun shooting.

If at all possible, learn to shoot with both eyes open. This might be impossible for you to do right handed (using your weak eye) with a rifle or shotgun. Took Perrin's (Genesis Firearms) Utah CFP class this weekend - he emphasized this concept pretty heavily in his Fundamentals of Shooting section.

My 10/22s eject out about 90 degrees. Don't think you'd need to worry about brass in your face if you decided to go that route. Good Luck!

MSI Sustaining, SAF Defenders Club, NRA, MD Designated Collector, Utah CFP, USCCA, JPFO
GUNSnROTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #14
bkuether
Senior Cheesehead FSDino

Lefty here. Ruger's will eject burning powder on to your arm and face. Less face and more arm. A shirt can solve the arm, but don't even THINK of shooting that rifle left handed without eye protection.

I love my Rugers. But alas, I AM left handed and NOTHING I can do about that.
bkuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
bkuether
Senior Cheesehead FSDino

I also have a left handed AR. People laughed at me, but I thought it cool. After getting two right handed ARs I kinda agree with them now. But it is made for me and I still think that pretty cool. (Every ONCE in a blue moon I get some hot gassing off of them, but not enough to complain....) Lots of inquisitive looks. Something here is not quite right.
bkuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #16
TxAggie

OP, I'm the same as you, LED but right handed. I grew up shooting right handed and just learned to do it. I even made it through the Army and regularly scored Expert at qualification on most outings. The key is to keep both eyes open until just before you're ready to shoot, then close your left; at least that worked well for me.

Now, I actually practice shooting with both hands and both eyes. I don't compete for prizes, just for fun, but it's nice being able to switch up every now and then (and prepares you better for strange situations.)

Bottom line: everyone is different, find which way works for you and practice it. Then once you become proficient change things up a bit. It helps to keep you sharp and helps you remember the fundamentals.

"Above all we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." - President Ronald Reagan
TxAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Stephen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
I am right eye dominant and left handed.
I'm the same way. I learned to shoot long arms right handed and pistols left handed. I'm actually somewhat grateful for this, as long gun selection is much better for righties.
Stephen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #18
C-130_MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post
that's what I have to do...Im left eye dominant but shoot right handed...I cant shoot left handed unless im just messing around and my grouping is not very good lol
I am the same way - BUT after adding a green laser - It does not matter which eye I use (or where the firearm is for that matter -put the dot on target - pull)

C-130_MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #19
Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H Send a message via Skype™ to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
I am right eye dominant and left handed. I shoot right handed with long guns and ambi with hand guns.
You pretty much need to follow your dominant eye especially with shotguns.

In your case Left handed guns will be a pain so if you can shoot right handed it will be cheaper.
I am lucky to shoot handguns ambi as well. Not sure if I shoot better one way or the other. With some rifles (with low riser combs) I can rock my face over the stock and use my left eye instead of using a riser to get the correct sight pic with right eye, (which in our case is inferior).

Maybe I should be using higher scope mounts on more of my rifles so I can do this with all of them

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #20
august1410
Player to be named later

I shoot long guns lefty....and thought I shot handguns righty. (I'm right handed)

My accuracy was suffering...so I switched to my left hand with handguns. Made all the difference.
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles