• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That would be Judge Pregerson. Appointed in 1979 by Carter. He is 90 years old and is not on Senior Status.

It's odd how old timers like him and and Judge Aldisert of the 3rd circuit are so ignorant of public carry and think everyone will get mad and shoot each other if they get permits.
    Judge Tallman rebutted the sheriff's counsel on all of her talking points. The other 2 were pretty much looking for some way out, whether it was confining the right to the home, using intermediate scrutiny as rational basis as in Kachalsky, or point the finger at the state for not allowing OC statewide. If we do lose this one, I hope they would try to confine it to the home and split with Moore/Aguilar.
    But since Peruta/Richards have already been heard by the 9th, doesn't that case necessarily control here?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It's odd how old timers like him and and Judge Aldisert of the 3rd circuit are so ignorant of public carry and think everyone will get mad and shoot each other if they get permits.

You have to wonder if some of these folks were around when MLK was denied his gun permit. Back then Democrats pretty much ensured people of colour did not have the right to keep and bear arms.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    You have to wonder if some of these folks were around when MLK was denied his gun permit. Back then Democrats pretty much ensured people of colour did not have the right to keep and bear arms.

THey haven't changed much they just deny people of all colors to have guns. It accomplishes the original goal without looking racist. :innocent0

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM

THey haven't changed much they just deny people of all colors to have guns. It accomplishes the original goal without looking racist. :innocent0

True but with the implementation of SB281, MOM and the MD GA have pretty much pulled the wool over the eyes of the minorities that keep voting them in power, because those that live in the inner city of Baltimore or out in the rural areas without reliable personal transportation, cannot get to a LiveScan vendor to get fingerprinted or to a public range to "fire one round" to get the HQL. So yes, their party still has an agenda to keep all manner of folk from the RKBA, but especially minorities.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    "Flyonwall" at Calguns has posted this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Docket Text:
    Filed order (HARRY PREGERSON, KIM MCLANE WARDLAW and RICHARD C. TALLMAN) The central issues of this case are the scope of the Second Amendment right to bear arms in public and the standard of review for Second Amendment challenges. There are currently several pending cases in the Ninth Circuit concerning these very issues. Accordingly, submission of this case is vacated and proceedings are stayed pending resolution of the following cases:
    United States v. Chovan, No.*11-50107*(submitted 2/15/12);
    Peruta v. County of San Diego, No.*10-56971 12/6/12);
    Richards v. Prieto, No.*11-16255*(submitted 12/6/12); and
    Baker v. Kealoha, No.*12-16258*(submitted 12/6/12).

The panel retains jurisdiction over this petition for review. (submitted [8858927] (SM)

So-this case will be controlled by the others. Chovan is a prohibited persons case- oral arguments here: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view.php?pk_id=0000008754

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    This is why we need a term limits amendment...

tell that to Judge Allan Kay. He is in his mid 80s and out of all the federal judges in the United States District Court of Hawaii he is by far the sharpest. He also refuses to allow anyone to touch his decisions other than to upload it on to ECF. He thinks having clerks research and draft opinion is a sign of weakness. I've had interaction with most of the federal judges in Hawaii and he is the only one that everyone has to concede is consistently the smartest guy in the room regardless of who is before him.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    tell that to Judge Allan Kay. He is in his mid 80s and out of all the federal judges in the United States District Court of Hawaii he is by far the sharpest. He also refuses to allow anyone to touch his decisions other than to upload it on to ECF. He thinks having clerks research and draft opinion is a sign of weakness. I've had interaction with most of the federal judges in Hawaii and he is the only one that everyone has to concede is consistently the smartest guy in the room regardless of who is before him.
    I admire that of such a distinguished man, however...

What we loose, would be far out stripped by what would be "checked" and "restrained." I mean no offense or ill feelings towards those whom faithfully execute their office, but this is certainly the outline, not the median.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I admire that of such a distinguished man, however...

What we loose, would be far out stripped by what would be "checked" and "restrained." I mean no offense or ill feelings towards those whom faithfully execute their office, but this is certainly the outline, not the median.

Age is a poor metric. Find a better one. Any idea how much damage a term limited lame duck can do... ?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    To me, holding the case with a formal order means that the panel has no expectations for a quick resolution to the four cases. If they thought it would be just a few weeks, they could sit on the case.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    To me, holding the case with a formal order means that the panel has no expectations for a quick resolution to the four cases. If they thought it would be just a few weeks, they could sit on the case.

Naa, not quite. They suspended submission for decision, which is what they are supposed to do under the 9th Circuit's local internal operating rules where there is a previously submitted case on the same issue before a different panel. It is good that they are following their own rules. The circuit decided to do to that to min. the number of conflicting opinions and the need for en banc. This panel probably has no idea when the other cases will actually be decided.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Age is a poor metric. Find a better one. Any idea how much damage a term limited lame duck can do... ?
    And...I'm not referring to age, I'm referring to those in office for far to long, and far to comfortable. I know some have advocated for a term limit on federal judges without the chance for return.

Personally, I'd advocate for an appointment and a continuance in office vote by the state legislature for the circuits or district the judge operates in.

Do a good job? Remain in office. Are a stinker? See ya.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013
    And...I'm not referring to age, I'm referring to those in office for far to long, and far to comfortable. I know some have advocated for a term limit on federal judges without the chance for return.

Personally, I'd advocate for an appointment and a continuance in office vote by the state legislature for the circuits or district the judge operates in.

Do a good job? Remain in office. Are a stinker? See ya.

And then we have political judges who cave to what is popular at the moment instead of adhering to the constitution. That's what legislators are for.

Back on topic, when should we expect a ruling? Does it really matter what the ruling is since it will be appealed anyways?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Back on topic, when should we expect a ruling? Does it really matter what the ruling is since it will be appealed anyways?

Can't speak to the time frame at all, but I do believe it matters a lot. I agree that it will be appealed one way or the other, but going forward, having them rule in favor of the plaintiff would be a small step towards liberty.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    And then we have political judges who cave to what is popular at the moment instead of adhering to the constitution. That's what legislators are for.

The ruling will be based on what happens in Richards/Peruta/Baker. Those could be decided any time now.
    It does matter what the ruling is, because SCOTUS has been refusing to take any 2A related cases. A win at CA9 is binding upon CA and HI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom