Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
jr88
Get a Rhythym

Hathcock attempt at Oswald shot?

I heard Jesse Ventura promoting his Kennedy Conspiracy book the other day.
One thing got my attention, he stated Carlos Hathcock had tried to replicate the Oswald shot at JFK multiple times using a closely matched Carcano and could not repeat the accuracy in the time estimated by the government.
Has anyone else ever heard of this? I know Mr. Hathcock died in 1999, but couldn't find any reference to this "attempt". I just find this hard to believe.

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Threeband
The M1 Does My Talking

Bullsheet.

Oswald's shots have been replicated many times by many shooters.

I never heard of Hathcock doing it: I doubt he tried. But plenty of others have done it. It's really not that difficult.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdFhG9anY8

vous ne voyez jamais un chat mort dans un arbre

Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
BradMacc82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
Bullsheet.

I never heard of Hathcock doing it: I doubt he tried. But plenty of others have done it. It's really not that difficult.
^This, on all points.

I'd find it hard to believe that IF Mr. Hathcock ever HAD attempted to recreate the shots, that he would've had any great degree of difficulty doing so.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Huckleberry
Don't push me, Bureaucrat

Jesse Ventura should be glad that Chris Kyle is no longer around to recreate that punch in the mouth.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! We're finished! All of us!"

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

NRA Life Member and Instructor
Huckleberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
DC-W
IT'S OVER 9000!

I've been trying to find it on youtube, but haven't been able. One of the history or discovery channel affiliates recreated it years and years ago with one rifle.

Old October 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #6
jpk1md

I don't doubt the ability to put rounds on target

I think whats always been questionable/suspicious is the "possibility" that a single shooter from the location Oswald shot from was able to make a couple bullets make so many right angle turns to cause all of the wounds it did

As I recall the ballistics support more than one shooter from more than one location.

But what do I know......

If nobody wants a 'civil disturbance,' why in heck don't they quit disturbing us?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
jpk1md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #7
mopar92
Official MDS Court Jester

When a bullet hits a target it deflects. At the end of effective range the bullet slows due to friction and this effect is exaggerated. Look up 5.56 ballistic tests in gelatin. The bullet tumbles causing massive damage. Or you could I dunno test it yourself hunting.

I may be a slut, but I only did it once for money.

The peace sign is just the trigger and the middle finger.

What is Liberty Tree? Click this to find out
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117200
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #8
jpk1md

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar92 View Post
When a bullet hits a target it deflects. At the end of effective range the bullet slows due to friction and this effect is exaggerated. Look up 5.56 ballistic tests in gelatin. The bullet tumbles causing massive damage. Or you could I dunno test it yourself hunting.
Ok, but we're not talking about a 55gr 5.56 projectile traveling at a relatively high speed

We're taking about a 6.5x52 round with ~160gr mass that has ballistics that are pretty close to a 30-06

Its really an apples and peas discussion.

Quote:
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...p?f=22&t=56338
The cartridge was known to have inflicted many “through and through” wounds, just leaving a small wound channel. The bullet typically would not tumble inside its’ target unless it encountered something hard such as bone. When it did tumble the wounding effect is well known.

If nobody wants a 'civil disturbance,' why in heck don't they quit disturbing us?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
jpk1md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #9
mopar92
Official MDS Court Jester

Buy some tracer rounds (if there are any) and shoot at plate steel.
Or look at a car accident sometime. Two high mass objects, two relatively slow moving objects. And how often are they "glued" together after the accident?

I may be a slut, but I only did it once for money.

The peace sign is just the trigger and the middle finger.

What is Liberty Tree? Click this to find out
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=117200
mopar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Ranchero50

Mythbusters did it a couple years ago and the results were surprising.

Old October 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Name Taken

I do not know this Hatchcock character but if Hickok45 cant replicate it I'm all in on the conspiracy theory.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell
Name Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #12
BradMacc82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Name Taken View Post
I do not know this Hatchcock character but if Hickok45 cant replicate it I'm all in on the conspiracy theory.
No offense to Hickok45, he is a great shot in his own right.

But Gunny Hathcock is a legend, and for good reason. Insanely talented sniper and tracker.

Some light reading for you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #13
jr88
Get a Rhythym

Quote:
Please, read up on Mr. Carlos Hathcock, aka "Whitefeather". Not only was he a brave and honorable serviceman to our country, he was arguably the best long range rifleman ever known. He was certainly not a "Character".

With that said, I have seen internet references to the attempts at replicating the shots. I believe the result was that the shot could not have been done on that rifle in the limited time frame...kinda supporting the multiple shooter theory. I would just like to find a viable reference to Whitefeather's attempt at this.

Old October 6th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Name Taken

IT WAS A JOKE....my lord folks.

Hickok45 is a recreational shooter and I'm sure would be the first to tell you is not on par with military snipers.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell
Name Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #15
dungslinger

Being a Marine Infantry rifleman, Gunny Hathcock is a Legend, I have read numerous books on him and I have never heard of him doing this attempt. Especially after his last tour in Vietnam.
dungslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #16
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Found this...so he did attempt a recreation...dunno if theres video of it...

http://oswald-not-guilty.blogspot.co...iper-says.html

PS: found this info on the internet so it has to be true..

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days

Last edited by wilcam47; October 6th, 2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: correction
wilcam47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #17
jonnyl

Quote:
IT WAS A JOKE....my lord folks.

Hickok45 is a recreational shooter and I'm sure would be the first to tell you is not on par with military snipers.
When I saw your post my second thought was "uh-oh he forgot the smiley".

If anyone is interested the book "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy" by Vincent Bugliosi is a really good read and debunks the popular conspiracy theories. He was the prosecutor of Charles Manson.

The ability to express yourself freely is so uniquely tied to the ability to defend yourself freely.

--Richard "Mack" Machowicz

NRA Member
MSI Member
SAF Member
jonnyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Jerry M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
Bullsheet.

Exactly including long time ago Towson gunshop owner Howard Donohue (sp?) with an article in the Baltimore Sun Papers (in the 70's).

Good luck

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #19
paulstitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M View Post
Exactly including long time ago Towson gunshop owner Howard Donohue (sp?) with an article in the Baltimore Sun Papers (in the 70's).

Good luck

Jerry
I remember the article and meeting Mr. Donohue in his shop.

I believe Oswald fired all the shots, Did he have help other wise? Don't know.
paulstitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #20
photoracer
Competition Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr88 View Post
Please, read up on Mr. Carlos Hathcock, aka "Whitefeather". Not only was he a brave and honorable serviceman to our country, he was arguably the best long range rifleman ever known. He was certainly not a "Character".

With that said, I have seen internet references to the attempts at replicating the shots. I believe the result was that the shot could not have been done on that rifle in the limited time frame...kinda supporting the multiple shooter theory. I would just like to find a viable reference to Whitefeather's attempt at this.
The only people who say it could not have been done and was not done since then are basically deniers. The key item was Oswald himself. He was wrong eye dominate. In the case of the Carcano it meant his head was over the stock out of the way of the bolt, so he could operate the bolt rapidly without taking his trigger finger off the trigger and his eye off the scope. As a result a correct test even by the NRA has shown that such a person could easily get at least 3 aimed shots off in the time frame. As an ex-Marine who was shown he did practice on occasion he may well have been good enough. Whether he actually did do it will likely remain a question of history.

IDPA # A48078
3Gun Nation #28949

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting