• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Finally done. Not as dark as I would have liked, but it'll do for now. I found another cold blue to try when the desire strikes.

http://www.shootersolutions.com/

The grips are from Dennis Marschal. The shipping was about 2weeks and a day or 2, not overly bad with Christmas.

I tried the chemical remover, but that didn't work very well. I ended up using a fine wire wheel and a dremil tool. I used the direction from here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=534815

Attachments

• IMG_3785_sm.JPG
      IMG_3785_sm.JPG
      135.7 KB · Views: 2,356
    • IMG_3789_sm.JPG
      IMG_3789_sm.JPG
      142.7 KB · Views: 1,149

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    sweet!
    I want to do mine but i am too nervous I will screw it up

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    One of the nicest cold blue jobs I have seen in a long time ... the grips - wow - they look great.

The secret really was to work the cold blue with 0000 steel wool while it was still wet. The article in the thread linked to in my earlier post gives some hints for doing a cold blue refinish.

THe time was rather quick actually. The cleaning of the old paint took the most time. Once it was off, I used 400 wet sandpaper. Instead of H20 I used WD40 with the sandpaper.

It does look pretty good in person though.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    That really turned out terrific!! Looks great. Thanks for posting the link. I actually bought a 2nd CZ82 today :innocent0 More of a project gun... I'm thinking of doing a full strip and refinish as well as a trigger job and a few other mods. I'll start a thread to map it's progress as I go. I hope to put a good pictorial together of complete tear down (beyond field stripping).

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    That really turned out terrific!! Looks great. Thanks for posting the link. I actually bought a 2nd CZ82 today :innocent0 More of a project gun... I'm thinking of doing a full strip and refinish as well as a trigger job and a few other mods. I'll start a thread to map it's progress as I go. I hope to put a good pictorial together of complete tear down (beyond field stripping).

Cool. Where did you end up getting it from? J&G was the only place I can think of that has them.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I actually purchased it from Century. They have a few listed right now as "good-incomplete" for like $100!! I have an account with them and talked to a CSR. He was very nice. He went and looked at one and said that from what he could tell, the only thing missing on the gun was the slide release lever. If thats true, it's a steal for $100. But i won't really know for sure until I get it and have a chance to tear it down and see what else (if anything) is missing. They are in "good" condition, so i figure that means the finish will be pretty beat.

I figure as long as I'm going to completely dismantle it to inspect all the internals, may as well refinish it while it's apart before reassembly...

We'll see what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the "incomplete" thing and hope it is as good as the CSR said...

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    For durability, you might try parkerizing...it's really easy to do, and cheap. A gallon of the park solution is sixty bucks from brownells, but it'll park an entire armory of guns. A gallon of distilled water and 4 oz of park solution brought to 190 degrees, throw it in for twenty minutes, and it comes out the darkest black you've ever seen. If you're interested in trying it out, let me know and I'll loan you some solution (it lasts forever and a day...I've parkerized a dozen and a half guns, and it's still going...you just have to replace the distilled water lost to evaporation).

Gfacter

Oct 9, 2008
    Metro MD
    I will be working on a new re-finish project soon A FM high power.

I am not sure I want to paint with duracote, cold blue or try parkerizing. ??

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    I'm not a big fan of Duracoat. To start off with, it's commercial (Benjamin Moore?) 2 part epoxy paint repackaged for gunsmithing, and every time I've used it (both personal application and professional application) it has either worn or flaked. Cold blue does a great job (as seen here), but just doesn't hold up to constant use. Parkerizing does the trick, and even the bake-on/spray on finishes recommend that you parkerize first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom