Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Archery

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Americus

Best Cheap Crossbow?

Hey everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a crossbow once I finish paying off my assorted 10/1 spending.

I've seen crossbows out there for anywhere from $80-$200, and I imagine that they are the bottom of the heap...

But are they any good? Looking for the occasional target bow with maybe some hunting someday.
Americus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Doctor_M

Ditto on this request. My 20+ year old compound bow finally gave up the ghost (cable snapped and caught me across the face... that was fun... it is obsolete and I can't find a new cable for it anywhere). Am strongly thinking about going cross-bow, but would also like to get some thoughts from folks.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
Ditto on this request. My 20+ year old compound bow finally gave up the ghost (cable snapped and caught me across the face... that was fun... it is obsolete and I can't find a new cable for it anywhere). Am strongly thinking about going cross-bow, but would also like to get some thoughts from folks.
My 30 year old compound is still going.

Comparing the Crossbow to a compound.
  • I get better accuracy with a Crossbow than the compound.
  • The Compound is whisper quiet, the Crossbow makes noise.
  • The crossbow is way heavier. The compound feels like a feather in comparison.

If you can wait till after deer season and pick up a used crossbow. You will get a better deal for your money, than paying new for a lesser quality.
Inigoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
sxs
obsessed menber :-)

You might find something used that is acceptable for perhaps $300 more or less. As for me, when I went crossbow shopping last year, I ended up with an brand new Excalibur Phoenix Lite Stuff package from Total Sports that I found while serching the internet for just $565. This included a scope and 4 shafts, an attached quiver, cocking aid...basically what you need to get started. These are recurves rather than compound, but that seems to keep the price down a bit and has the added advantage that you can re-string the bow yourself if you need too. Most compounds require careful adjustment when restrung and I wouldn't have likely done that myself. I also purchased 6 additional shafts as well as 6 broadheads...another nearly $100 and a case I found online for $40, plus a stringing aid and a spare bow string for another $50. It does add up pretty fast. I am very happy with it and it is more than the raw basic needed for hunting even giving a 175 lb pull rating. It is very accurate and more than enough for basic deer hunting. I've already destroyed 2 shafts by striking one shaft already in a target with a second shaft. That was at 30 yds. A quick search found a similar deal on Cheaper than Dirt right now.

Member Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club
Maryland Designated Collector
C&R License Holder

"They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up on wings as eagles"
sxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
did you look on ebay?

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Sub $200 compound Crossbow with all the accessories

http://www.bowviper.com/p-2284-arrow...FalcMgod4FAAtw
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
freddie

Check out Natchez - sale on last years Horton crossbows - discounts up to 65%.

Don't know anything about crossbows but wanted to share with you today's email I got from Natchez - might get you a better bow for your budget.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #8
jimbobborg
Oddball caliber fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post

Don't know anything about crossbows but wanted to share with you today's email I got from Natchez - might get you a better bow for your budget.
That's because Horton's went bankrupt and you will not get any kind of repairs on your new crossbow ever.

Jim

Last edited by jimbobborg; August 27th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Second Amendment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post
Sub $200 compound Crossbow with all the accessories

http://www.bowviper.com/p-2284-arrow...FalcMgod4FAAtw

Compound? What's the difference? I'm glad someone started this thread because I'd like to get one. Is BassPro a good place to look for one? I'm limited as to the sites and links I can open.
Second Amendment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #10
cww

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post

I'd be a little hesitant to purchase something like this without a warranty. Horton went out of business and Tenpoint bought the rights, equip etc but have no plans on servicing, maintaining, or honoring horton products at this time.

remember you get what you pay for.
cww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Pale Ryder

Natchez Shooting Supply has some Hortons on BIG discount. Horton went out of buisness and there is no warranty. Probably have to act fast. They are a decent Xbow, I have a hunter 175 from a few years ago.

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cf...=HM&catLevel=1
Pale Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #12
thequietman
- - - - -

I just finished working out the same thing. Hopefully I got it right. I can't say yet because I'm still waiting for my crossbow (should be here on Thurs). I wanted something to try hunting with, so I wanted it to be powerful and fast enough. I didn't want to get the bottom of the line, but I wasn't about to spend a fortune either. I read a lot of reviews and ended up with a Barnett Jackal Hopefully it does what I need.

Here is what it all worked out to cost so far:

Barnett Jackal w/ 4x32 scope (no bolts) - $229.99 + $12.50 s/h
rope cocking devise - $9.99 (free s/h)
pack of 5 carbon bolts w/ 100 grain practice tips - $35.47 (free s/h)
lube wax - $9.08 (free s/h)

Total to the door - $297.03

I'm sure someone will chime in about how their XXXXX is much better in this way or that and only cost $500 or $600, but I thought I was doing pretty good at the under $300 price point. I'll have to get back to you once I get to shoot it (hopefully before this weekend )

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
- Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love (Robert A. Heinlein)
thequietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Inigoes
Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Amendment View Post

Compound? What's the difference? I'm glad someone started this thread because I'd like to get one. Is BassPro a good place to look for one? I'm limited as to the sites and links I can open.
There are compound and recurve bows and crossbows.

Recurve bows use the strength of the limbs, meaning you have to pull the entire 150 lbs when pulling the string back.

A compound bow uses the strengh of the limbs and a little science in the cams (aka pulleys), that will reduce the 150 lbs as you pull the string back.
Old August 20th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #14
sxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post
There are compound and recurve bows and crossbows.

Recurve bows use the strength of the limbs, meaning you have to pull the entire 150 lbs when pulling the string back.
A compound bow uses the strengh of the limbs and a little science in the cams (aka pulleys), that will reduce the 150 lbs as you pull the string back.
While you're technically correct in your statement about recurve crossbows, I use a cocking aid to cock my 175 lb recurve and it's not at all difficult. No way I could pull that hummer back with just my hands.

C&R License Holder

"They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up on wings as eagles"
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Americus

Any good starter packages? I'm a total archery noob, so a "kit" would be nice.
Americus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:35 PM   #16
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
we have a Parker bushwacker its a good crossbow...its killed 6 deer so far...so I cant complain. going on its 3rd season I hope to kill a few more animals with it...

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM   #17
ampdog

Barnett Ranger (recurve)
I love mine.
ampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18
tomandjerry00

I have an SA Fever 175LB recurve crossbow I bought on a whim last year for $150 on black friday. Here it is for $135 now with bolts, scope, quiver, etc:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=959330

I upgraded my bolts to cabela's carbon fiber ones and hope to get a deer or two this year with it. Higher quality than expected. No, not a top-tier bow, but able to take a deer at 30 yards all day.
tomandjerry00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
sxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdog View Post
Barnett Ranger (recurve)
I love mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandjerry00 View Post
I have an SA Fever 175LB recurve crossbow I bought on a whim last year for $150 on black friday. Here it is for $135 now with bolts, scope, quiver, etc:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=959330

I upgraded my bolts to cabela's carbon fiber ones and hope to get a deer or two this year with it. Higher quality than expected. No, not a top-tier bow, but able to take a deer at 30 yards all day.
The single greatest reason I purchased a recurve is that it is fairly simplistic... I can even restring it myself. The Excalibur (I chose the Phoenix model) was what was recommended to me for a recurve and I haven't been at all disappointed. It isn't, however, an inexpensive crossbow.

C&R License Holder

Old September 14th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #20
possumman

I have a 3-4 year old Horton Summit -works great - kills deer and shoots where you aim it-I wouldn't be afraid to buy one even though they are out of business-especially at a steep discount.
possumman is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Archery