• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevegunman

Nov 23, 2008
    Just wanted to know what do all of you do with your automatic rifles. I came across a debate that was saying there is no reason for american to own a automatic rifle. Whats your reason????Other than shooting is fun:cool:

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Just wanted to know what do all of you do with your automatic rifles. I came across a debate that was saying there is no reason for american to own a automatic rifle. Whats your reason????Other than shooting is fun:cool:

Hmmm - odd questions for someone with 3 posts.

Looking at your other posts, has me wondering about your motives.

Arcticwolf

Certified Brute
    May 28, 2008
    and i quote from the united states declaration of independence.... "That when any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it" We could go in a long debate depending on your intentions but i believe that w/e the military owns (except tanks ect.) the people have a right to own.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Hmmm - odd questions for someone with 3 posts.

Looking at your other posts, has me wondering about your motives.

I looked to and saw him asking why you should be able to buy a shotgun from walmart...

:sad20:

I will eventually own an automatic firearm bc 2a says I can! IMO its none of anybodies business to ask why I need a good reason to own something. Looks at it this way the government will rape me on the ******** taxes when I want to get one. If they take them away say bye-bye to all the tax money they get from us law abiding automatic firearm owning citizens.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Not sure if you mean full-auto or semi-auto.

Why do we own them? For hunting, target shooting, collections, and protection both domestic and abroad. Now if your looking for people to admit they own illegal machine guns, you wont find it here. The people here are law abiding citizens and I can vouch for a few of them. Go look on the streets in Baltimore City and I am sure you will find plenty of illegal guns. You wont find them here.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County

I am going to assume you are speaking of full automatic rifles. There are a select few that can afford a full auto rifle or machine gun because of the cost of the rifle as well as the current cost of ammunition, they eat a bunch of ammo very quickly. For those that can afford them they are an investment as well as a valued member of that persons personal collection, they are also just fun to shoot. I wish there was some mystical reason why folks want to own them but truth be told they are just a bunch of fun to shoot.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Investment- They are worth a lot and will only go up in value.....but only when properly registered and with the proper tax. Illegal machine guns are worth the same as illegal semi autos and the ones the military and police buy are the same price as the semi auto versions. It is just the registered machine guns legally possessed which are rising in value and are worth a lot.

Curios- They are of value as a collector item and also for mechanical curiousity.....which brings us to the next part.

Innovation and invention- This country was not only founded partly on American invention and innovation, it thrived because of it and made us great. Allowing the common citizens access to technology they can use and study will lead to more innovation and is needed if history tells us anything. Many of the most important inventions used by our military came from private basements, garages and worksheds.

Militia and army preparedness- If we are invaded the militia needs weapons for proper defense, but putting the militia aside for this discussion, the need for a populace familiar with common military weapons will provide a better trained pool of recruits or draftees if we do go to war.
    Also, the private collection of full auto weapons may supplement the military aresenal if needed.

Recreation- What reason is there to restrict our freedoms and liberties anyway? Only two recorded murders in 60 years (last figure was from about ten years ago) were committed with a legally owned and registered full auto firearm and one of the murderers was a police officer.
    If there is no proven undue risk to the public, then there is no need for a law restricting a freedom, even if it was only for recreation (recreation is just one reason for some).

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i'm gunna assume you're motives are trustworthy and you're genuinely interested in becomming more involved in our community. all you have to experience to answer your own question is one of our group shoots. looks like you're new to the gun world and picking up info...we were all there at one time or another.

as stated earlier full auto's are just plain old fun. aside from that each member that owns one could probably give you a different reason for owning a full auto. the question of "why would you want to own a dodge viper and what would you do with it" comes to mind. they are capable of doing things guns that arent full auto aren't. they put a lot of holes in things very quickly. they're a tool and that's their function. what people wish to do with that function is up to their discretion.

just like my viper analogy some decide to race their vipers in competition(legally of course) for the pure sport of it. they like the rush the speed gives them and the intrinsic challenge. they must develop skill to control it and it feels good as you get better and beat past scores. of course dangers come with it but are minimized with self-control and proper precautions.

others like them because of the "what if" reason. what if:
    1)we are invaded by a foreign power red dawn style
    2)my home is broken into and i must defend myself
    3)LA riots happen and i must defend my business against an angry mob
    4)the govt becomes tyrranical and liberty must be refreshed with the blood of tyrants
    5)they're filming a new rambo movie and need a handsome built model of male perfection to fill in (think why people dress up at baseball games)

Some are retired military that want to maintain training for if they are called up again. some are people that want to one-up the jones'. some are people that want to make an investment in something guarenteed to go up in value. some are just collectors that want to own a piece of history.

forgive the vagueness of the answers and broad scope but the question was vague itself. basically for a bunch of diferent reasons. the important thing most of us understand is that our founders were wise enough to put the right to keep and bear arms 2nd in the constitution to preserve the liberties enumerated in the first. there's no need to justify a constitutional right.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    What do I do with my automatic rifle? I draw mine from the arms room, take it to the range, qualify, clean it, present it to the Bastard Armorer From Hell, clean it some more, present it again to the armorer, clean it some more while cursing the armorer, present it again to the armorer, get the "well, I suppose that's good enough", and go on my merry way. But I'm a Soldier. We have automatic rifles (of sorts). Apparently someone believes that we are Americans that should have them. Funny how that works....

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I came across a debate that was saying there is no reason for American to own a automatic rifle.

There are a lot of damned good reasons to own any kind of rifle. The person who said there is no reason to own one is a sad little worm who wants everyone else to be sad little worms too. You are more than welcome to tell him I said that and let him know he can find me right here.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    The answer to THAT question depends on whether we are considered serfs or free men.

If you consider the government as absolute in its own right, rather than "for the people, of the people, and by the people", then no, there's no reason a civilian should own an automatic rifle.

Seems like we're getting closer and closer to that. Being free is too much responsibility for a lazy, comfort-addicted, consumer-based culture. :(

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Attachments

• troll.jpg
      troll.jpg
      16.6 KB · Views: 438

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca