• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    I have heard a rumor several times, most recently at the last MSI meeting, that one should not apply for (or should be cautious applying for) a MD CCW permit because a denial would disqualify the applicant from getting a permit in another state (most notably FL).

This rumor is NOT true.

The following is directly from the FL state Division of Licensing (DOLWeb@doacs.state.fl.us) in response to my inquiry on the matter (as the FL CCW application is not available online).

Mr. xxxxxx:

No, the application does not ask if you were revoked or denied in another state. There are several questions asking previous convictions felony or misdemeanor. There are also questions pertaining to substance abuse and committments to mental institutions.

A quick look at some other states' applications that are available online (VA , UT, PA) reveals the same.

Please spread the word, and stop the spread of the rumor if you hear it.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Do you have that from an email -- ?

make sure that you get a letter and make it PDF, so that we can ensure that we spam maryland with all of our permits and see what the percents are :)

Hit them like a firestorm ..

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    Yes, that is cut and pasted from the email response.

And this isn't something that requires formal letter or an AG opinion or anything like that. Anyone can request a FL application and easily see that there is no such question on it. I just didn't want to wait for the snail mail.

But anyway, yes, apply away to the MD system. Let's put the lie to the "we approve >90%" statistic.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The next time the "shall issue" bill comes up, we should do an organized flood of applications to the MSP to show support.

Also CC them to our reps in the Maryland Leg.

I remember one law and order, Jack McCoy was working to release a prisoner wrongfully convicted, and he stated piling up copies of the inmates daily schedule, and he had like 20 boxes of them. It was a powerful argument.

Imagine the MSP and State Capital flooded with applications. Maybe they'd run out of ink on their disapproved stamp and have to use the "not disapproved" one

Then maybe it'll take so long, the 2nd amendment becomes incorporated, and we can start sueing due to the wait.

I have heard a rumor several times, most recently at the last MSI meeting, that one should not apply for (or should be cautious applying for) a MD CCW permit because a denial would disqualify the applicant from getting a permit in another state (most notably FL).

This rumor is NOT true.

The following is directly from the FL state Division of Licensing (DOLWeb@doacs.state.fl.us) in response to my inquiry on the matter (as the FL CCW application is not available online).

A quick look at some other states' applications that are available online (VA , UT, PA) reveals the same.

Please spread the word, and stop the spread of the rumor if you hear it.
    You do need to send a copy of your permit from your home state if they issue, with the application for the PA license. They do issue to us in Illinois even though Illinois is a "right denied state", mine came in about 10 days.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    True, PA does require that you have a permit in your own state before they will issue you a non-resident permit. However, that is a separate issue from the "don't apply in MD because a denial will jeopardize your chances elsewhere" myth.

It's also a moot point, because PA will honor a FL non-resident permit.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    i'd spend my money on a failed MD CCW permit before a challenge coin. we'd need a couple thousand to send in applications to really make a difference though.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    bumping this thread to keep it alive ..

We should do something about this unless there is something in the "Dark" that we dont know about ..I dont have the Power of the Sith Lords ..

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    And really, NJ and RI aren't giving you a permit any time soon.

NH has a right to a review of the denial where you could address the issue of the denial.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    ME also asks.

And really, NJ and RI aren't giving you a permit any time soon.

NH has a right to a review of the denial where you could address the issue of the denial.

I understand a previous denial is not an automatic everywhere else...I"m merely showing that the question does exist.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Admin, can this be a sticky, or at least merged with one of our Wollard/CCW application threads? This has come up numerous times, some have even used it to convince others not to apply. Would be good to clear the air of it quickly.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom