Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Old May 10th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
mdiom

DIY Kydex Holster

First attempt at making at kydex OWB holster turned out ok. Let me know what you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (98.1 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (67.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (68.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (71.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (67.9 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (69.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (77.7 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg 20130510_164719.jpg (124.9 KB, 258 views)
mdiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
raff696

looks great!
raff696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff696 View Post
looks great!
Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #4
budman93

how do you mold it? do you have to heat it?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Such as were inclined to defend themselves, but unable to purchase Arms and Ammunition, have, as we are informed, been supplied with both, as far as Arms could be procured, out of Monies given by the last Assembly for the King’s Use..."
- Benjamin Franklin
budman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Nnztg8r

Location: South of Merryland, north of Hotlanta, west of Charlotte, east of Knoxville
Pretty damn sweet...the bracelet and hat I mean. Seriously, thanks for sharing. Nice work.

Maryland was in yesterday's rear view. Escape complete. 7/17/2014

I'm writing because I've found freedom. Y'all come on down, ya hear.
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman93 View Post
how do you mold it? do you have to heat it?
It's 0.80 Kydex that I heated up in the oven slowly starting out at 220, then in increments upto 340-350 which is optimum temp for working with kydex. I then used some foam padding, boards, and clamps in book press style to mold it onto the gun.

Thanks guys.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #7
smokey0118
2A TEACHER

Looks good! Howd u dress the edges? Power buffer, sand paper + acetone...something else? What kind of press setup did you use? Gun case foam, 2 boards and a couple c-clamps or something else? Toaster oven and laser-thermometer for slow controlled heating? What did your jig look like for the bends? 1x2 screwed to edge of work bench with a spacer?

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #8
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnztg8r View Post
Pretty damn sweet...the bracelet and hat I mean. Seriously, thanks for sharing. Nice work.
Thanks man.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #9
rouchna

If you're willing to make it for others, let me know how much you would charge. Great work.

Old May 10th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
Looks good! Howd u dress the edges? Power buffer, sand paper + acetone...something else? What kind of press setup did you use? Gun case foam, 2 boards and a couple c-clamps or something else? Toaster oven and laser-thermometer for slow controlled heating? What did your jig look like for the bends? 1x2 screwed to edge of work bench with a spacer?

Sounds like you've tried it before yourself.... The sanding and buffing technique i'm still working on. My edges are ok but I'd like them to be a little more polished. I started off wet sanding then a combo of fine grit sanding and polishing with the buffing wheel. I used a neoprene type foam with two wood boards and c-clamps in book press style. Cooked the kydex in the oven (well see my last post). For the bending I just rigged two of my smaller c-clamps and some 1x2 (not ideal) but I'm going to work on making a jig for that and the holster loops.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Blaster229
God loves you, I don't.

I have seen quite a few do it yourself at home kydex holsters and this is by far the best looking one ever.

Old May 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouchna View Post
If you're willing to make it for others, let me know how much you would charge. Great work.
It's a strong possibility. I would like to avoid using each person's real gun by making the mold with a blue gun/training replica but those cost about $40 so guys on here would have to show me some strong interest in custom OWB holsters for me to make those kinds of investments upfront.

Either way, I'm going to keep making them. I'm planning on making a weapon-light capable mold for my G17. I'll post up when it's done.

Thanks again.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #13
smokey0118
2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiom View Post
Sounds like you've tried it before yourself.... The sanding and buffing technique i'm still working on. My edges are ok but I'd like them to be a little more polished. I started off wet sanding then a combo of fine grit sanding and polishing with the buffing wheel. I used a neoprene type foam with two wood boards and c-clamps in book press style. Cooked the kydex in the oven (well see my last post). For the bending I just rigged two of my smaller c-clamps and some 1x2 (not ideal) but I'm going to work on making a jig for that and the holster loops.
Sweet. U have a scrollsaw to work with or just score and bend? A scroll saw would make life much easier for cuts. U ever try bending the belt loops like persec's pancake loops?
http://www.psholsters.com/
Capture.JPG

You may have to bump up the thickness of kydex used, but I like their design.

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #14
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
I have seen quite a few do it yourself at home kydex holsters and this is by far the best looking one ever.
Thanks man, it was a rough start but as it progressed it was really enjoyable. Great thing about kydex is you can always start over if you mess up and it's self-healing abilities with heat are really....well, cool.

I'm really happy that my first try was actually useable. I gave myself alot of room to work with on the molds so when I messed up I could still fix it.

Thanks again.
Old May 10th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #15
mdiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
Sweet. U have a scrollsaw to work with or just score and bend? A scroll saw would make life much easier for cuts. U ever try bending the belt loops like persec's pancake loops?
http://www.psholsters.com/
Attachment 85047

You may have to bump up the thickness of kydex used, but I like their design.
I do have a scroll saw (for tighter cuts after molding) but for the initial layout I score and bend. I've seen those holster loops and I'll probably give'em a go on one my next designs. This time around I used the .80 kydex same as the holster itself but I had planned on using .93 or .125 for future holster loops. Great suggestions! Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Blaster229
God loves you, I don't.

Feel free to borrow my M25 P226 with rail for a mold or my Sig 1911

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #17
VWTurbo

Did a holster for my m&p the other night. Still have to finish it up and may give it another go. Doing some bladetech style ar mag carriers as we speak.

Pretty fun hobby.
VWTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Overboost44
Veni, vidi, vici

I would like some more info on this too. I like your work, and I may want you to do one or three for me if you start doing that. I saw the kits for $24.95 on knifekits.com, but what else is necessary. I haven't bothered to do a youtube search yet, but will.
Overboost44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #19
-Z/28-
But drives a WS6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiom View Post
It's a strong possibility. I would like to avoid using each person's real gun by making the mold with a blue gun/training replica but those cost about $40 so guys on here would have to show me some strong interest in custom OWB holsters for me to make those kinds of investments upfront.

Either way, I'm going to keep making them. I'm planning on making a weapon-light capable mold for my G17. I'll post up when it's done.

Thanks again.
I'd be interested in one for my USP with UTL attached. I would have no issue bringing you the real gun and light to do it, as it's a LE trade in with some wear on it anyway.

“The M1 rifle is the finest battle implement ever devised.” – Gen. Patton

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #20
VWTurbo

once I get it right, I will be making one for my usp next.
VWTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns