Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
ar1131

FN scar 17s banned?

This may have been asked and answered and if so I apologize but.....will try FN scar 17s be banned come 10/1? I ask because I am thinking of purchasing one in FDE but it is on backorder for over 6 months. I can get a black one within a few months so if it is going to be banned then I would just go with the black one. If it is undetermined if it will be banned does anyone know when there will e definitive answers? Thanks
ar1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
budman93

i dont believe it is banned by name but its features (folding stock, flash hider) along with a detachable magazine make it a copycat weapon and therefore it is banned in its standard configuration. At least thats how i read it.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Such as were inclined to defend themselves, but unable to purchase Arms and Ammunition, have, as we are informed, been supplied with both, as far as Arms could be procured, out of Monies given by the last Assembly for the King’s Use..."
- Benjamin Franklin
budman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
ar1131

I wonder if I should post my original question on the 2A section.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #4
sailskidrive
Legalize the Constitution

Quote:
i dont believe it is banned by name but its features (folding stock, flash hider) along with a
Actually the PWS compensator isn't considered a muzzle flash reducer by the ATF.

Needless to say it's green, looks menacing, and has a plastic stock. BANNED!
sailskidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
ar1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailskidrive View Post
Actually the PWS compensator isn't considered a muzzle flash reducer by the ATF.

Needless to say it's green, looks menacing, and has a plastic stock. BANNED!
Does this mean I have to have it to my ffl by 10/1 or is it ok to show a purchase order showing the order was placed pre 10/1.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
bnich82
African American w/a Gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1131 View Post
Does this mean I have to have it to my ffl by 10/1 or is it ok to show a purchase order showing the order was placed pre 10/1.
I'm wondering the same thing but in regards to a layaway. From my understanding, the FN Scar wouldn't be banned due the PWS not being classified as a flash hider, but I rather error on the side of caution.

I have an out of state dealer that works with me on layaway terms, so I'm wondering if we do a layaway with an out of state dealer, if its still considered a purchase order? Also, I've heard that dealers won't be able to make the transfer after 10/1. Since the item isn't regulated, does that mean we can have it transferred to us via an out of state dealer same as us purchases a non-regulated item out of state from say Wal-Mart/Bass-Pro?

Utah CFP
bnich82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
ar1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnich82 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing but in regards to a layaway. From my understanding, the FN Scar wouldn't be banned due the PWS not being classified as a flash hider, but I rather error on the side of caution.

I have an out of state dealer that works with me on layaway terms, so I'm wondering if we do a layaway with an out of state dealer, if its still considered a purchase order? Also, I've heard that dealers won't be able to make the transfer after 10/1. Since the item isn't regulated, does that mean we can have it transferred to us via an out of state dealer same as us purchases a non-regulated item out of state from say Wal-Mart/Bass-Pro?
My problem is that there are different answers regarding if it is going to be banned. If it is not going to be banned I think you can have it shipped to your md ffl. I have the option of a black scar 17 which is about 20 weeks out (so it may get to my ffl by 10/1 or the fde (which I prefer) but probably wouldn't get to ffl until early 2014. If I know it is not going to be banned I will wait on the purchase as it is a lot of money to me. I never knew "I needed" it until I found out it may be banned.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #8
daggo66

The FN SCAR 17 is not regulated and is cash and carry. It should not be affected by the ban, but your FFL might interpret it differently.
daggo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
The FN SCAR 17 is not regulated and is cash and carry. It should not be affected by the ban, but your FFL might interpret it differently.
Yes it will. Folding stock and a Flash Suppressor = BANNED! So they will need to either change the stock so it doesn't fold or retrofit a muzzle brake.

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
Yes it will. Folding stock and a Flash Suppressor = BANNED! So they will need to either change the stock so it doesn't fold or retrofit a muzzle brake.
Hold up. I thought only the current list of assault weapons would be banned after 10/1 and the copycat weapons would then become regulated.

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab_Normal View Post
Hold up. I thought only the current list of assault weapons would be banned after 10/1 and the copycat weapons would then become regulated.
Ummm no, copy cat weapons are banned 1 Oct 2013 (unless I read wrong?!?), since they are considered "assault weapons". No big deal, just eliminate one of the banned features.

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:55 AM   #12
Ab_Normal
Ab_member

Quote:
Ummm no, copy cat weapons are banned 1 Oct 2013 (unless I read wrong?!?), since they are considered "assault weapons". No big deal, just eliminate one of the banned features.
Sorry, it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Do you know of any Md.laws or regulations that define or give guidance on what a flash suppressor is?

Kind of hard for them to ban something with that feature if they don't define what that feature is or does.

Never mind. It is right in SB281.

Better get my coffee before I post any more.

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
daggo66

Quote:
It will depend on what is or is not considered a "flash suppressor". The FN SCAR has a folding stock and a muzzle brake. It is currently cash and carry. The SCAR is not a "copy" of anything.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:36 AM   #14
daggo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab_Normal View Post
There will be no "regulated" list. Only banned.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:45 AM   #15
squirrels
Ho...ho...ho.

Fix the stock on it and you should be fine.

The folding stock is stupid on full-length barrel models anyway...that feature is really made more for SBRs to be used as PDWs.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Fix the stock on it and you should be fine.

The folding stock is stupid on full-length barrel models anyway...that feature is really made more for SBRs to be used as PDWs.
Exactly, this is not really a problem.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles