• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support universal background checks on all gun purchases?

• Yes

Votes: 32 8.8%
    • No

Votes: 330 91.2%

• Total voters

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    If 92% of the country wants background checks on all gun purchases as Obama and MSNBC keep repeating, I figure at least 50% of the people here are in favor. Let's see...

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Ps what is a "universal background" check anyhow?
    I am fine with a NICS check at the retail level and nothing past that.

PSS. There could/should be a way to get a temporary 30 day NICS number good for private/second hand sales. That is as far as I'd go for "universal background" checks.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I think that is a simplistic question.

I have no problem with them checking to see I am not a felon. I have deeper problems with them tracking I bought an AR-15 5 years ago. Now it is deemed illegal and I need to hand it over to the state since some psycho nut job shot up a school.

I'd rather see stats on how many registered weapons are used in crimes.

Why is Chicago a paradise of bliss with some of the best guns laws ever, which we must emulate. Chicago is so safe now.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    I support background checks on all gun purchases. I don't support the government tracking said purchases, however.

There *should* be a database with a list of SSNs for people not allowed to own guns. When checked, it should simply reply yes/no to the dealer. No paperwork, no tracking of who's asking to buy a gun, nothing.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    Ps what is a "universal background" check anyhow?
    I am fine with a NICS check at the retail level and nothing past that.

+1

Like that Colin Noir vid... How are you obtaining said background check? Requiring registration and fingerprinting?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The big elephant in the room is that criminals don't get background checks.
    It's a false premise.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am in favor of it. HOWEVER, I would need an assurance from the other side that records will not be kept of the people that buy guns. I could live with something like a 5 year time frame for records to be retained, but after that, anybody retaining a Form 4473 or something similar to it, would be sentenced to a mandatory 10 years in prison. I am a give and take kind of person. I understand the issue where a lunatic can purchase a gun FTF and then commit an atrocity; however, I also understand the database argument for confiscation. Now that I think about it, there would have to be ZERO record retention. Otherwise, they would ALWAYS know who owns a specific firearm unless the person owns it for 5 years or more. Meh, now I am somewhere in-between on the records retention.

If we can do something to reduce the number of lunatics/criminals with guns, and still keep our freedom from a tyrannical government, I'll be in favor of it.

Heck, I'm in favor of Obama's proposal to cut social security and medicare and raise taxes across the board.

And, I call myself a conservative.

regulator

I am fine with the NICS check, however this bs that Maryland is\has been doing goes too far. If the FBI says I'm good what's the issue. As a police officer I know it only takes a matter of seconds to do a III check. What else does MDSP claim to check that takes 7-60 days.

Mini rant over

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The big elephant in the room is that criminals don't get background checks.
    It's a false premise.

That is correct, but when the straw purchaser understands that they MUST do a background check if they sell it or otherwise report it stolen, and that should a crime be committed with the firearm they sell without a background check being done on the seller, that they will be in criminal trouble too, then we might get somewhere.

Yeah, I understand that handguns are the big issue in most homicides in Maryland and that they are already regulated here and require a Form 77R at MSP. However, a criminal could go to Philly and buy a handgun FTF without a Form 77R and then bring it back here. I know people that have bought firearms from granny at a yard sale. If a nationwide background check were to be instituted, it might be a good way to fight straw purchases and make EVERYBODY understand that keeping your 2nd Amendment right means you have to be an upstanding citizen. If the background check is the equivalent of a NICS check in speed, I am fine with it, IF other safeguards are put in place to prevent a national registry.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'd support a universal background check when conduct for my universal CCW permit and universal same day, cash and carry purchaser's card good in all 58 Obama States and Territories

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I am in favor of it. HOWEVER, I would need an assurance from the other side that records will not be kept of the people that buy guns.

I suspect what you are in favor of is radically different from what the leftists have in mind. In leftist wet dream land, UBC means paying an FFL upwards of a few hundred dollars and waiting weeks or months to complete a "private" sale.

Remember, whatever the leftists say is complete bull crap. They will put frosting on a turd and sell it to suckers as a top-shelf confection.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I am fine with the NICS check, however this bs that Maryland is\has been doing goes too far. If the FBI says I'm good what's the issue. As a police officer I know it only takes a matter of seconds to do a III check. What else does MDSP claim to check that takes 7-60 days.

Mini rant over

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If 92% of the country wants background checks on all gun purchases as Obama and MSNBC keep repeating, I figure at least 50% of the people here are in favor. Let's see...

We'd be a much safer, freer nation if news media applicants and potential politicians had to go through a universal background check before ever stepping in front of a camera or a microphone.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I am in favor opening NICS up to private citizens so I can go online and get a clearance, then take it to the seller. No information about what you buy is ever recorded though.

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    This is one where I think there should be a universal background check, I also think said check should be done within an hour with a NICS check and by anybody...face to face I should be able to call, enter info and receive a confirmation yay or nay and then sell it to you if you pass.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    Here's what I propose, just to shut them up about background checks and the "gun show loophole." :rolleyes:

A publicly-accessible database that anyone can view from their phone. Basically, a public NICS. Anybody can run it on anybody they have an SSN for, for any reason, not just to buy a gun. Run it on your employee. Run it on your babysitter. That way even if they're keeping records of queries there's no way they know you used the database for a gun transaction.

Another option is this: mandate that every state to issue a firearms yes/no indicator on all driver's licenses and equivalent state-issued ID cards. If you're a scumbag you get a scarlet letter DL.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This is one where I think there should be a universal background check, I also think said check should be done within an hour with a NICS check and by anybody...face to face I should be able to call, enter info and receive a confirmation yay or nay and then sell it to you if you pass.

You're dreaming if you think buyers will voluntarily give you (probably a complete stranger) their SSN or other sensitive info.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    I suspect what you are in favor of is radically different from what the leftists have in mind. In leftist wet dream land, UBC means paying an FFL upwards of a few hundred dollars and waiting weeks or months to complete a "private" sale.

Remember, whatever the leftists say is complete bull crap. They will put frosting on a turd and sell it to suckers as a top-shelf confection.

The average person on the left thinks a background check is simply a background check and not registration and tracking of who owns what.

Now, the radical left and their politicians are totally trying to screw us over one step at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom