• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    This is my non-comprehensive summary regarding changes to SB 281 made at the Good Friday markup before the combined Judiciary and Health committees.

It was a day off work for me, so I was there for the entire mark up, which lasted something over 7 hours. The committee started with the "consolidated" draft distributed by Delegate McDermott's office late on March 28, which the delegates referred to as the "re-print," and which is posted here. The amendments considered at the mark up session were not distributed to spectators, and only a few were read aloud, so it was not possible to track every detail. But few substantial amendments were accepted. Most of the successful amendments were of no great consequence. With a few exceptions, a solid majority of the Democrats, conferring frequently with representatives of the governor's office, voted as a bloc against substantial revisions.

Therefore, except as noted below, the bill is still pretty much what I described in this outline posted on March 28 here.

(However, note that I did not cover most of the "mental health" provisions in my outline, as there are others here far better equipped to interpret them.)

At the Good Friday mark up, an amendment was adopted to exempt antiques and curios & relics from the requirement for the handgun qualification license, but the Democrats refused to accept another amendment to allow "assault weapons" to be purchased or transferred in state if they meet the federal definition of a "curio or relic." If anyone needs more details on the effects of these two C&R amendments, the one adopted and the one rejected, please e-mail me, rather than posting on this thread.

An amendment was adopted to impose a disqualification for firearms on anyone who is found guilty of a crime of violence, and who then is given "probation before judgment" (PBJ) by the judge. As described by the sponsor, Luiz Simmons (D-Montgomery), such a person would still be eligible to apply for expungement, three years after completing the probation, and if expungement is granted, the conviction and the firearms disability will go away. This amendment was adopted by an alliance that cut across the usual ideological lines, but over the strong objections of some of the liberal members and of Chairman Vallario, so it is by no means clear whether it will survive the anticipated conference committee. Simmons said that the governor supports the amendment.

An amendment was Delegate Michael Smigiel (R-36) was initially adopted to deny good-time points and early release for persons incarcerated for using violent crimes using firearms. However, the governor's office apparently twisted somebody's arm, Judiciary Chairman Joe Vallario ordered a re-do on the vote, and the amendment was declared defeated on a tie, 23-23, to the loud protests of Mr. Smigiel and many of the spectators.

The crazy "restricted firearm ammunition" provision was replaced with some new language that both sides apparently found satisfactory, but I have no idea what it says. If there was anybody on the combined committee who knows anything much about ammunition, it was not readily apparent from the discussion that occurred on this provision before someone went off to redraft the language in consultation with the Maryland State Police.

An amendment to repeal the old "ballistic fingerprinting" law was rejected, although it was stated that the machine used to seek casing matches has been broken since 2005, and it didn't sound like anybody was planning to fix it. In Maryland, gun control is a ratchet which operates only in one direction.

Another amendment by Simmons, to require medical professionals to report to law enforcement any imminent threat to inflict major physical injury on a named person, failed after considerable debate.

In perhaps the most striking display of ideological rigidity all day, the controlling block of Democrats voted down an amendment to allow current off-duty peace officers, and retired law enforcement officers who are certified under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, to carry firearms on public school property. Delegate Kathleen Dumais (D-Montgomery) led the opposition to this amendment.

A new version of the bill, called a "second reader," which will incorporate all of the committee amendments, may be available as early as Monday.

Even after the bill passes the House, the conference committee will be able to change anything that the Democratic leaders of both houses want changed. Therefore, if there is some amendment that was adopted in the Good Friday markup that you like, or some amendment adopted on the floor next week that you like, don't make a big deal about it here, unless you want to get it added to the leadership hit-list for the conference committee.

Last edited:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks Dean, great summary. They scribbled all over it in the committee yesterday. The bill still has many carnations to go. No matter what concessions they plan to divide and placate us and others in opposition, it is still a bad bill.

** Don't retreat! Reload! ** (pretty soon you'll be reloading twice as often)

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Is there any way to get a copy of the SB 281 Amendments proposed and the voting record for each?

Yes, eventually you should tally sheets on individual amendments posted here:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=02&id=sb0281&tab=subject3&ys=2013RS

But it may not happen until after the General Assembly session has ended.

The committee-approved version of the bill, known as a "second reader," may be available as early as Monday, April 1.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Well done: Did you catch the Costa and other delegate amendment?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure which one of the amendments you are referring to. You may be thinking of the provision in the bill that requires reporting of a lost or stolen gun within 72 hours of discovering the loss. This was changed to apply only to regulated firearms, not "regular" long guns.

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    From Del Hough:

O’Malley Gun Grab Passes House Committees

On Friday evening two house committees, including the House Judiciary Committee of which I am a member passed Governor Martin O’Malley’s gun grab bill Senate Bill 281 by a vote of 27-18.

Those of us who are proponents of the Second Amendment spent over eight hours offering amendments to the bill. Numerous amendments were accepted, including one I offered to protect ammunition used by waterfowl hunters. In addition amendments were accepted to bar the state police from disclosing the addresses of gun owners, to allow a 18-year old in the military to purchase regulated firearms, and to remove registration requirements for those who inherit firearms.

The committee adopted amendments striking registration requirements for individuals who currently own so-called “assault” weapons. The committee also exempted current handgun owners from testing requirements when they buy future handguns.

Unfortunately the main provisions on this anti-gun bill survived. Here’s what the bill still does:

Requires law-abiding citizens, prior to purchasing a handgun to be fingerprinted at state police headquarters, have a background check, take four hours of classroom instruction, pass an undefined test at a gun range, and obtain a gun license. Due to a lack of public ranges and instructors, for many this will be a de facto ban on buying handguns. Currently it’s taking over 60 days for individuals to obtain hand guns.

Limits magazine bullet capacity for all guns to ten rounds.

Bans so-called “assault” weapons, which includes the nationally popular sports shooting rifle the AR-15. These weapons were tied to zero murders in Maryland last year.

Enables State Police to do ATF style investigations on gun stores. This was enacted despite opposition from gun store owners for the supposed purpose of preventing straw purchases. The State Police, Attorney General’s office, and the Governor’s office were never able to even answer the question of how many straw purchase prosecutions there were last year under the current Maryland law.

An amendment was also added yesterday to take peoples guns after a Probation Before Judgment (PBJ). Under Maryland law these are not considered convictions and I strongly oppose taking people’s rights and property away unless there is a conviction.

Finally, Democrats rejected all attempts to increase school security and to punish criminals who use guns in crimes. Unbelievably an amendment was defeated that would have allowed off-duty police officers to have their firearms on school grounds. I know if a shooter was at my one my kid’s school I would pray to God there was an armed police officer nearby. It should be noted that legislators rejected this amendment, while sitting in a state building that is protected by armed guards.

Another amendment that was narrowly defeated would have removed good time prison credits for those who use guns in the commission of violent crimes. Clearly the message is we only want to punish law-abiding citizens and not criminals.

This bill will head to the House floor next week for a final vote. Pro-Second Amendment activists have done an awesome job of attending bill hearings in Annapolis and contacting legislators. I urge you to continue to speak out against SB 281 for one more week.

Sincerely,

Delegate Michael Hough
    Frederick & Washington Counties

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure which one of the amendments you are referring to. You may be thinking of the provision in the bill that requires reporting of a lost or stolen gun within 72 hours of discovering the loss. This was changed to apply only to regulated firearms, not "regular" long guns.

That's the one! I wasn't sure what section it pertained to. Thanks

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    So, if you get a PBJ for Anything, your guns are gone? Misdemeanor, Felony, or a gun related offense?

We don't have the exact language, but the way Delegate Simmons explained his amendment, it would apply to the crimes that are currently disqualifying crimes (for firearms) under Maryland law, until and unless the matter is later expunged. The list includes crimes of violence, certain drug offenses, certain sexual offenses, etc. Without the language in hand, it is impossible to know if this will apply retrospectively or only to future PBJs. In Maryland, at least, these disqualifications tend to be retrospective. Simmons estimated it would apply to more than 1200 new cases a year in Maryland.

ADDENDUM: Based on Simmons' description, and without having the actual text, I believe that Simmons Amendment would apply, at a minimum, to PBJ's issued based on the following charges. This list is taken from Public Safety Article § 5-101.

Public Safety Article § 5-101. Definitions

(a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(b) Antique firearm. -- "Antique firearm" has the meaning stated in § 4-201 of the Criminal Law Article.

(c) Crime of violence. -- "Crime of violence" means:

(1) abduction;

(2) arson in the first degree;

(3) assault in the first or second degree;

(4) burglary in the first, second, or third degree;

(5) carjacking and armed carjacking;

(6) escape in the first degree;

(7) kidnapping;

(8) voluntary manslaughter;

(9) maiming as previously proscribed under former Article 27, § 386 of the Code;

(10) mayhem as previously proscribed under former Article 27, § 384 of the Code;

(11) murder in the first or second degree;

(12) rape in the first or second degree;

(13) robbery;

(14) robbery with a dangerous weapon;

(15) sexual offense in the first, second, or third degree;

(16) an attempt to commit any of the crimes listed in items (1) through (15) of this subsection; or

(17) assault with intent to commit any of the crimes listed in items (1) through (15) of this subsection or a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year.

Last edited:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Even after the bill passes the House, the conference committee will be able to change anything that the Democratic leaders of both houses want changed. Therefore, if there is some amendment that was adopted in the Good Friday markup that you like, or some amendment adopted on the floor next week that you like, don't make a big deal about it here, unless you want to get it added to the leadership hit-list for the conference committee.

That is probably the most interesting and telling piece of information I've heard on here in a while. So basically if the bill passes we need to go radio silent until it's official.

45-70

Jan 23, 2013
    North Central MD
    Delegate Simmons WAS disappointed that his ammendment NOT to allow grandfathering of banned guns was not adopted, saying that the bill in its current form would take a full generation to have any effect.

Effect on what? Certainly not crime, since these banned guns are very rarely used in crime.

sunset1

Mar 23, 2012
    "The committee also exempted current handgun owners from testing requirements when they buy future handguns".

Does this mean current owners don't need to take course, get fingerprinted for future purchases?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    "The committee also exempted current handgun owners from testing requirements when they buy future handguns". Does this mean current owners don't need to take course, get fingerprinted for future purchases?

I'm not sure what you are quoting. But the committee did not change this exemption, which was described in my 13-point summary here. The exemption for a person who already owns a regulated handgun applies to the new training requirement only. You would still have to be fingerprinted and obtain the handgun qualification license before buying a new handgun.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Delegate Simmons WAS disappointed that his ammendment NOT to allow grandfathering of banned guns was not adopted, saying that the bill in its current form would take a full generation to have any effect.

The amendment that Simmons actually offered would not have eliminated the grandfathering of "assault" weapons, although he did complain about that provision. The amendment would only have eliminated the grandfathering of weapons for which there is a "verifiable purchase order" pending as of October 1, 2013. The amendment died for lack of a second.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    We don't have the exact language, but the way Delegate Simmons explained his amendment, it would apply to the crimes that are currently disqualifying crimes (for firearms) under Maryland law, until and unless the matter is later expunged. The list includes crimes of violence, certain drug offenses, certain sexual offenses, etc. Without the language in hand, it is impossible to know if this will apply retrospectively or only to future PBJs. In Maryland, at least, these disqualifications tend to be retrospective. Simmons estimated it would apply to more than 1200 new cases a year in Maryland.

ADDENDUM: Based on Simmons' description, and without having the actual text, I believe that Simmons Amendment would apply, at a minimum, to PBJ's issued based on the following charges. This list is taken from Public Safety Article § 5-101.

Public Safety Article § 5-101. Definitions

(a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(b) Antique firearm. -- "Antique firearm" has the meaning stated in § 4-201 of the Criminal Law Article.

(c) Crime of violence. -- "Crime of violence" means:

(1) abduction;

(2) arson in the first degree;

(3) assault in the first or second degree;

(4) burglary in the first, second, or third degree;

(5) carjacking and armed carjacking;

(6) escape in the first degree;

(7) kidnapping;

(8) voluntary manslaughter;

(9) maiming as previously proscribed under former Article 27, § 386 of the Code;

(10) mayhem as previously proscribed under former Article 27, § 384 of the Code;

(11) murder in the first or second degree;

(12) rape in the first or second degree;

(13) robbery;

(14) robbery with a dangerous weapon;

(15) sexual offense in the first, second, or third degree;

(16) an attempt to commit any of the crimes listed in items (1) through (15) of this subsection; or

(17) assault with intent to commit any of the crimes listed in items (1) through (15) of this subsection or a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year.

So i got a pbj for a assualt case last year so there going to come take my current guns away?

Viper-Snipe

May 13, 2012
    And how would they know if you are a current gun owner, part of the NICS check, or some form of ID shown saying you are a gun owner?

V-S

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    And how would they know if you are a current gun owner, part of the NICS check, or some form of ID shown saying you are a gun owner?

V-S

Exactly my question when reading the markup. Frosh's is going to have a breakdown over that and the purchase order provision.

So..... They are keeping records, eh?

** Don't retreat! Reload! ** (pretty soon you'll be reloading twice as often)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom