• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Another idea could be to run your range with 22 air rifles.

The boys can still learn and practice their marksmanship. Plenty of ammo and air available.

We consider that a last resort. The kids want real guns. They got to shoot BB guns as Cub Scouts. Visiting Cub Scouts and first year campers are always amazed at the fact that Boy Scouts get to shoot real guns, even if they are single shot .22's.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    We consider that a last resort. The kids want real guns. They got to shoot BB guns as Cub Scouts. Visiting Cub Scouts and first year campers are always amazed at the fact that Boy Scouts get to shoot real guns, even if they are single shot .22's.

.22 Air Rifles aren't in the same class as your Daisy and Crossman BB and. 177 pellet.

They are very much real guns and should be treated with same respect as any other guns including the lowly Red Rider.

Is your mission to just let the boys "shoot reals guns" for grins and giggles or do you want the train them in safety, marksmanship and perhaps a chance to earn their Shooting Merit Badge?

A match or hunting grade .22 air rifle would allow you to accomplish the latter in lieu of. 22 ammo shortage and the perchance of acquiring enough ammo to allow each boy a familiarization fire only.

You could even consider setting up a 1000 Inch Range with either. 22 Ammo or. 22 Pellet to give the boys a chance to do some "long range" shooting. Could be the start for a future F-Class shooter or Military Sniper.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    It looks like this will be the year of the shotgun merit badge. :)
    I just managed to get enough .22 lr for our troop event next month. I will keep my eyes open for more.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I would love to say cmp is the answer but I highly doubt it. They are on a 6-12 month back order right now so I doubt there is much they can do.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The CMP has been our usual source of ammo in the past. We do have club status with them. As mentioned, they are out of ammo and backlogged.

.22 Air Rifles aren't in the same class as your Daisy and Crossman BB and. 177 pellet.

They are very much real guns and should be treated with same respect as any other guns including the lowly Red Rider.

Is your mission to just let the boys "shoot reals guns" for grins and giggles or do you want the train them in safety, marksmanship and perhaps a chance to earn their Shooting Merit Badge?

A match or hunting grade .22 air rifle would allow you to accomplish the latter in lieu of. 22 ammo shortage and the perchance of acquiring enough ammo to allow each boy a familiarization fire only.

You could even consider setting up a 1000 Inch Range with either. 22 Ammo or. 22 Pellet to give the boys a chance to do some "long range" shooting. Could be the start for a future F-Class shooter or Military Sniper.

Doesn't mean we won't use air rifles, but we'd prefer to use the Savage Mk.II bull barrel target rifles we already have. I'm aware that a high end .22 air rifle is different from an Walmart air rifle, but these kids might not be. Yes, our goal is to teach marksmanship and gun safety, not simply to get them shooting firearms, but they want to shoot .22LR's.

If we don't get enough .22 ammo to run normal program, then we'll have to run normal program with air rifles, but that call is to be made later.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Since you are using bolt actions, why don't you switch over to .22 short. I see them in stock at prices closer to last year. I bet the right vendor could fill your order with shorts.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The other thing to kewp in mind if the program does not already have those air rifles or enough air rifles that would be additional cost as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If we want to donate a box of 500, who do we ship it to? I've got an extra 500 round box of Winchester. My rimfires don't like Winchester for some reason.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I though the Boy Scout motto is "BE PREPARED"?

Yeah, haha. I told them back at the beginning of January to stock up on ammo, but they thought they could wait. I told them that this is worse than the 2008/2009 panic (we had plenty of ammo then).

Since you are using bolt actions, why don't you switch over to .22 short. I see them in stock at prices closer to last year. I bet the right vendor could fill your order with shorts.

That's an idea. Finding it in bulk is still an issue though. Maybe this will be the year we shoot 20 different brands of ammo and both .22LR and .22 Short.

The other thing to kewp in mind if the program does not already have those air rifles or enough air rifles that would be additional cost as well.

Exactly, we don't have any. A few years ago we replaced our old Marlins with the CMP Savage Mk.II bull barreled target rifles. It's probably cheaper for us to buy .22 ammo at inflated prices than to buy 45 new air rifles.

If we want to donate a box of 500, who do we ship it to? I've got an extra 500 round box of Winchester. My rimfires don't like Winchester for some reason.

Thank you! Contact Gary to see where he wants it.

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hey guys, I'm Ken and posting on behalf of Gary Carroll, director of operations for Goshen Scout Reservation. GSR is low on .22LR ammo for this summer and we're having trouble finding more. As of right now, we don't have anywhere near enough to run our rifle shooting program for the summer.

GSR is in VA, but is the main summer camp for the National Capital Area Council. We have three Boy Scout camps on the lake (Bowman, Marriott, and Olmstead) that run programs with .22LR rifles. Chances are you or your friends have kids that go down there for the summer.

What we would like is for you guys to donate/sell .22LR ammo to NCAC. It's perfectly fine if you would rather sell (at a reasonable price) than donate, since we were planning on buying the ammo anyway. We are looking for other options on ammo, but they are few and far between. Many online retailers, if they don't sell out in seconds, have quantity limits. Due to the amounts we need, shipping costs on all those orders will be prohibitive. It would be a terrible thing if we can't teach gun safety and marksmanship to scouts this summer.

Gary.carroll(at)scouting.org
    3O1 214 9195

BTW, I've been working at Camp Bowman, GSR since the summer of 2008. Some of you might have seen me there.

I worked at Bowman from 02 to 06. Then I was the SS Dir at Marriot and the PD at Lennhok'sin. Ill give Gary and Wes a call, I have 15k of .22, and 500 20ga the BSA is welcome to all of it.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    If there are any other Scouting programs that need .22, this is a good thread. Many of us are prepared, and are willing to help. "Knowing and using the resources of your group".

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Well, the amount of .22 ammo GSR needs for one summer is in the six figures. Retailers have .22 ammo, but with the quantity limits per order, the shipping costs make it prohibitively high. Last year we abused the crap out of $5 shipping at Cabelas (and the $11 375 round boxes) and ordered an entire summer worth of ammo at once.

My reply was directed to Gumby.
    http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1154395#post1154395

My club CR&P has people donating 22 LR to various junior programs at AGC.

Good luck

Jerry

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    We will be doing shooting sports at summer camp this year too. I'm hoping there's enough ammo for the kids this year..

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    How many rounds do you need?

Maybe we could all make a small donation that will add up. Both of my sons went to Goshen, older one got his Life badge and is now Airborne :)

Would love to donate a brick, is there a drop off location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom