Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Buff7mm
Hooligan #69

Email about MSP background checks

Anybody else get an email from CNS-Rashee about doing a news story about the length of time it takes to get not disaproved for a regulated purchase? I got one a few minutes ago but didn't respond to it.

“The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” James Earl Jones
Buff7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2
mtel

I did, 3:49pm today.
mtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Norton

NRA Life Member
Rifleman

Folks...please forward those to (norton at mdshooters dot com)

Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Buff7mm
Hooligan #69

Forwarded.

“The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” James Earl Jones
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Norton

NRA Life Member
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm View Post
Forwarded.
I got yours

Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Buff7mm
Hooligan #69

Sorry about sending it twice
Told you, I'm dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to all this electronic stuff.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
eddiek2000
Sweet Lemonade!!

Sent mine too.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:27 PM   #8
-Z/28-
But drives a WS6?

I didn't get one, but I assume this is a scam of sorts being run via someone on MDS?

“The M1 rifle is the finest battle implement ever devised.” – Gen. Patton

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:28 PM   #9
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

Got one and forwarded to you norton.

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
mtel

Sent.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM   #11
mtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z/28- View Post
I didn't get one, but I assume this is a scam of sorts being run via someone on MDS?

I don't think it's a scam. At least, it didn't feel like one. Was pretty easy to find some info on the sender but I'll wait for an admin to confirm.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Norton

NRA Life Member
Rifleman

Capitol News Service is legit outfit. I've worked with them before and they do a good job of bringing balance to the issues.

I emailed the person and offered some suggestions on folks to contact.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:35 PM   #13
eddiek2000
Sweet Lemonade!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Capitol News Service is legit outfit. I've worked with them before and they do a good job of bringing balance to the issues.

I emailed the person and offered some suggestions on folks to contact.
Good to know, but they should have approached management prior to contacting us.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Norton

NRA Life Member
Rifleman

Guys,

I believe this to be on the up and up. I've worked with these folks as an organization in the past.

If anyone is interested in speaking with Rashee, I received this from him this morning:

Quote:
While I am working on the gun control legislation beat generally, I am doing a story this week about the Maryland State Police background check process for new firearms purchases (my deadline is actually this afternoon). I talked with a few gun shop owners around the state and they said that the wait is much more than seven days now, closer to two or three weeks.

I was hoping to find some customers who are having this experience. The people that I messaged were all on the thread about MSP background checks. I really want to find a human element of people who are affected by the story. Can you recommend anyone I might talk to? Or can you forward my contact information along to anyone who might talk to me? I would need their name, age and city where they’re from, but no other personal details. If anyone is comfortable with that and would like to chat, could you ask them to get in touch with me?
Contact Rashee at Rashee Raj Kumar

or

Rashee Kumar
Capital News Service
301-314-2694 (office)
817-832-8909 (cell)

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #15
CNS-Rashee
Journalist with CND-Md

Location: College Park, MD - The University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism
I apologize if I offended anyone. I am a real journalist, not a spammer or anything. The more I google and try to learn about Maryland gun laws and current issues, the more I keep getting redirected back to this site. You guys have a very vibrant forum and a really knowledgeable group of people here.

Anyhow, I am from Texas and trying to learn the Maryland laws. It's very different, I can tell you that! I am working for an independent news organization called Capital News Service. This is our website.

My beat is "gun control legislation," but the stories are focused on how all of this affects Marylanders personally. I have a lot to learn, and I hope at some point, you'll feel comfortable sharing experiences with me. Like I said, this is a great knowledgeable group, and I am glad that I found you all!

Thanks,

Rashee
Capital News Service
301-314-2694 (office)
817-832-8909 (cell)

(PS - I'm a her, not a him!)
CNS-Rashee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #16
mward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNS-Rashee View Post
I apologize if I offended anyone. I am a real journalist, not a spammer or anything. The more I google and try to learn about Maryland gun laws and current issues, the more I keep getting redirected back to this site. You guys have a very vibrant forum and a really knowledgeable group of people here.

Anyhow, I am from Texas and trying to learn the Maryland laws. It's very different, I can tell you that! I am working for an independent news organization called Capital News Service. This is our website.

My beat is "gun control legislation," but the stories are focused on how all of this affects Marylanders personally. I have a lot to learn, and I hope at some point, you'll feel comfortable sharing experiences with me. Like I said, this is a great knowledgeable group, and I am glad that I found you all!

Thanks,

Rashee
Capital News Service
301-314-2694 (office)
817-832-8909 (cell)

Hey Rashee, check out this thread...It will give you an idea of wait times and some of the folks' feelings!

I just purchased a handgun, so give me a few weeks depending on the wait time and I'll give you my feelings!

Good luck and glad there's someone out there to report the real side of things.
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=45346
mward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Norton

NRA Life Member
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNS-Rashee View Post

Thanks,

Rashee
Capital News Service
301-314-2694 (office)
817-832-8909 (cell)

Hi Rashee,

Sorry for presuming that you were male

Welcome aboard. As I said in our email exchanges, i think you will find the membership here very educated on the topic and more than willing to help you present the issue equitably.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #18
jvegas

Send a message via AIM to jvegas
I spoke with Rashee today and went on record about the current MSP wait time. She sounded very professional and Pro 2A.

If you voted for OBama or OMalley, your business is not welcome. You are part of the problem.
jvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #19
dlmcbm

welcome Rashee. If you want news stories there are a lot of them here.

To think these are the people that would be in controll of the licensing if it comes about. We could have to wait years for them. (just like the CCW permits)

PLEASE READ THIS!!! I am not a lawyer or a politician. As a matter of fact I really don't know much about laws. DO NOT take anything that I say as legal advice or being set in stone. Talk to a lawyer for that. I will try and help you all that I can as you really should not be asking legal questions here and expect them to be the right answers.
dlmcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #20
wesser1

I'm currently 15 days into my wait if you'd like some input from me on the subject.
wesser1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues