• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I have a line on a few AK parts kits but was wondering if I missed the boat on actually being able to build them up from flats. Is it legal to do so still?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The way I understood: If the flats were bent prior to October 1, 2013, it's legal to finish the "firearm."

I'd agree, that would make it a pre-ban receiver legally owned before October. But I wouldn't want to be the test case, especially without hard proof of when it was completed.

There also isn't any legal definition that defines exactly where an AK receiver stops being a piece of metal and starts being a firearm. It's generally accepted internet logic that bending an AK-builder flat or drilling holes in a Polish blank is the critical step, but IMO a good lawyer could debate that a center support and welded rails are critical to having a finished firearm receiver.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The way I understood: If the flats were bent prior to October 1, 2013, it's legal to finish the "firearm."

When I read stuff like that I'm thinking those "out of date" laws somebody posted in another thread suddenly don't sound so stupid by comparison.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Any shops in or around MoCo selling or willing to transfer AK pistol/other receivers?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There was a thread on this subject a while back, though I don't remember the outcome. Try a search on it,OP.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The question is, is anybody selling a AK stripped reveiver? It is legal to buy a AK pistol or SBR, so it is legal to build them.

They do not need to be on the roster either. It is also legal to bend and complete your flat. So long as you only build a legal configuration

It's the same rules as the AR, without the HBAR carveout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom