• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I just acquired a 2010 2011 compound bow for my son from a co-worker. I need to get it inspected and probably a new string and tuned for my son. What shop if any would you recommend.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Only place I am familiar with is Bay Pro Shop at the end of 260 where it hits 4. I have had good experiences there when they worked on my bow and made up arrows.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    It's not in Calvert, but 3J's Archery in Saint Mary's County is awesome, and the guys that run the shop are very knowledgeable. They only deal in archery equipment so that is their area of expertise.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Only place I am familiar with is Bay Pro Shop at the end of 260 where it hits 4. I have had good experiences there when they worked on my bow and made up arrows.

They are helpful but really dont know what the hell they are doing with archery set up...

I wasnt a fan of Fred's sports but the big guy that was working in the archery counter was far better IMO. This was couple years ago when I lived there...If they ever re-open

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I really like Zimmermans. I have Rubin do all of my work.
    As a bonus he has a 3D archery range on site.

I hear great things about 3J's but they have such odd hours that I can never get in there when they are open.

I am not a fan of Bay Pro Shop. I have only been in there a few times and each time I was treated like they were doing me a favor for letting me be in their store. Maybe I just went in there on the wrong days but, if I get that unfriendly attitude more than once my money goes to another shop.

There is also that outdoor superstore shop near Mechanicsville.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Update from my last post.
    I stopped by bay pro shop yesterday and had a really good experience. All three people behind the counter were very friendly and helpful. I stopped by to see what they were charging for corn since I was already in the same shopping center.
    Friendly attitudes when I walked in the door loosed my wallet up and I purchased several items. It amazing how a good attitude and I hello when you walk in the door will make me spend some extra money and make me want to come back again.
    Bay pro shop..... I say maybe give it a shot. See how they treat you when you walk in the door.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Update from my last post.
    I stopped by bay pro shop yesterday and had a really good experience. All three people behind the counter were very friendly and helpful. I stopped by to see what they were charging for corn since I was already in the same shopping center.
    Friendly attitudes when I walked in the door loosed my wallet up and I purchased several items. It amazing how a good attitude and I hello when you walk in the door will make me spend some extra money and make me want to come back again.
    Bay pro shop..... I say maybe give it a shot. See how they treat you when you walk in the door.

They were friendly to me but they really arent that great with Archery set up...sure they can install a string or cut some arrows but the arrows dont fly good and they can set you up completely wrong. Im not saying dont shop there as you can find good deals sometimes.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    It's not in Calvert, but 3J's Archery in Saint Mary's County is awesome, and the guys that run the shop are very knowledgeable. They only deal in archery equipment so that is their area of expertise.

They helped set up my new bow and seemed pretty knowledgeable to me too. The only bow shop that I've been to in the area so far. I know a few others that use them as well.

XFireBowstrings

Custom String Maker
    Nov 26, 2011
    Denton MD
    Bay Pro in Dunkirk and 3J's in Mechanicsville are the two I've worked with the most.... We worked with Freds also, but I'm guessing they are in the rebuild stages?

Joey at 3J's is very knowledgable and is full time now..

If you need a string give me a shout, we have stepped our game up with a 6month warranty for No Peep rotation, No Stretch and No serving separation...

410-924-0785

Sideways

Jan 24, 2010
    Eastern shore of Va.
    Bay Pro in Dunkirk and 3J's in Mechanicsville are the two I've worked with the most.... We worked with Freds also, but I'm guessing they are in the rebuild stages?

If you need a string give me a shout, we have stepped our game up with a 6month warranty for No Peep rotation, No Stretch and No serving separation...

410-924-0785

:thumbsup: You cannot find a better string then Barts. (X-fire)

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County

410-924-0785

I didn't think you guys were around anymore. Thought I had heard you went to work for some other company. Didn't you guys use to have a FB page?

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    OK. Took a trip over to 3 J's in Saint Marys County. Very nice shop, lots of goodies and they were very helpful. Unfortunitly I did not have enough cheese for a new bow(damn it)
    but I found my shop.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    OK. Took a trip over to 3 J's in Saint Marys County. Very nice shop, lots of goodies and they were very helpful. Unfortunitly I did not have enough cheese for a new bow(damn it)
    but I found my shop.

:thumbsup: Joey and Jamie are great to deal with, super knowledgeable, and their new shop set up is a big improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom