• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Cursory search didn't return much. I picked up a 50th anniversary 10/22 in stainless/synthetic. Price was $220 out the door and I couldn't turn it down. I dropped by Trop last night and landed a bx25-2 for $33.99. Other than that, what must I have on this gun? I have a really hard time with the bolt release so I may start there.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Where did you get that version for $220? If shooting offhand, or anything other than 2 bags, trigger for sure

Out of the box,I love the 10/22.Other than that everything is an upgrade;barrel,trigger,buffer etc. to the point where the only thing you'll have left is the receiver and they make replacements for that :lol2:.I'd do a trigger,mag release and buffer and go have fun.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Volquartsen target hammer makes a nice improvement in the trigger for a relatively small amount of cash, plus you learn a lot about the rifle putting it in. Replacing the factory buffer with one of the many available that are made of polymer will quiet the bolt a bit. Both give you a fair amount of benefit for a small additional investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    For the bolt release, you can modify it yourself at $0 cost. Look on Youtube and you'll find a bunch of videos showing how to do it. Essentially, the stock bolt release has a heart-shaped hole the forces a two-handed operation to let the bolt move forward. To remedy the issue, you use either small files or a dremel tool to grind off the point and make it triangular.

As noted, above, the disassembly process will give you a good sense of how the rifle operates and all the parts interact.

JoeR

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I did a simple trigger upgrade with a Volquartsen kit, the improved bolt release, and the extended mag release. Then I added Tech Sights, 1 1/4" sling swivels, and a military type web sling. Thus the Liberty Training Rifle.

I strongly recommend the transparent magazines. I find the factory ten-rounders annoying, because it is impossible to tell how many cartridges are in the opaque mags without completely unloading them.

For the drills I normally do, I'll have a mix of magazines loaded with two rounds, eight rounds, and ten rounds (you'll understand if you take an Appleseed or shoot a Garand match). My mags are numbered, and I try to remember which ones have however many rounds, but inevitably I end up having to completely unload some of them to find out.

The opaque mags are one thing I hate about the 10/22. The other is the lack of a last-round bolt hold open. I try to keep track, but inevitably I reach a point where I'm not sure if I have one left or not. In that case, I take the shot, and if the rifle is dry, I call it dry fire practice.

Because of that flaw, it's particularly important to not mix the 8-rounders with the 10-rounders, which is why I always end up unloading them to find out how many were in there.

I don't shoot the LTR much as I should (cheap practice), but if I shot it more I'd get some transparent mags and karma my old opaque ones.

I just thought of something my wife can get me for Christmas. Watch for a karma in about a month.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Depends on your preferences, and what you want to do with it. Decent little rifle out of the box for plinking and hunting. I found it a bit short for me, and the stock comb is set for irons, so a stock is good if you want optics, bedding the barrel to the stock, and to the reciever can help consistency, the receiver can flex enough that bedding it, and floating the barrel can cause inconsistencies. The stock barrel can be a little rough, a heavier barrel can move weight forward for stability, and a better barrel can help consistency. A smooth lapped bore, good de-burred chamber greatly reduces fouling, can help reduce jams, and I've found makes accuracy less ammo sensitive. The controls can be small and tough to work fast, especially the bolt release and mag release. The firing pin can bump up, and can get debris under it, causing it to hit less rim, and the extractor might not engage as well as it should. The trigger can be improved with a kit, and for most that is fine, but the housings can be inconsistent, especially the hole for the reset plunger and hammer/trigger pin holes, to many a built aftermarket housing is worth the cost. Same with the receiver, it's soft, can have casting irregularities, and buying a better receiver to build from can be less expensive than a stock rifle, especially if you plan on changing everything out. So IMO, if you like the rifle, shoot it, and don't change a thing. If you want a better trigger or better controls a couple VQ parts kits will improve it. If you want a longer pull length, use optics or want better balance, a stock and barrel might suit you. If you want a nice full built rifle, then get an aftermarket receiver and build one.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I suggest the bolt release mod, the Volquartsen target hammer kit, a buffer and for a high capacity mag I went with this..... http://www.hcmags.com And they work great! I got the big kit in Chantilly last year for @ $100 and they were there at the last gun show for $100-$120 but you can buy single mag I think for @ $40. The stripper clips take a little practice but work great for fast loading.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Not a fan of plastic stocks on anything (they make rubber dicks out of that crap) BUT that was a good price. Outside of a mag release, this works fine for me. :thumbsup: If you're not going to scope it........ hell yeah on the peeps.

Attachments

• IMG_2765.JPG
      IMG_2765.JPG
      35.9 KB · Views: 837

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads