• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which date could you attend the build party?

• Total voters

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've been away for awhile. Sorry I missed this build party! When is the next one? I have 4 more bent receivers begging to be built!

I thought about you at the party and that I haven't seen you posting for awhile.

I don't know what weekend I would be able to throw another one in May just yet.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have looked at my calendar and with my son's HS graduation coming up and opening the pool for his graduation party, I just do not have a Saturday available to host another build party in May. I will look at June or July.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Why not a Sunday? I also wanted to show how easy it is to fix a messed up drilled hole. I missed the mark on my rear trunion. I was putting it off for a bit and decided to do it today. First find some brass to back the hole. Then using a series of spot welds fill the hole and grind down. I used lowest heat setting and slow wire feed.
    5bbf7a1ad301fd6aafcd517579dfe6d5.jpg
    ab347aff7ddefee8a94d3df1097b78aa.jpg

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I think it would be easy to add the material, but trimming and grinding it back to the proper size and shape will take a good amount of time. It will be 1000x easier if the ejector isnt attached to the flat yet.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    That turned out good, how hard do you think it would be to add material to an ejector some one trimmed too much?

I helped someone with a similar issue... After a couple of pathetic attempts to add material, we decided that the easiest fix would be to remove the center support, drill the spot welds, clamp a new ejector rail in place, mig weld the rail in place from the outside through the holes made when drilling the spot welds, and finally, grind down the welds flush with the receiver. Of course, you will need to spot heat treat the ejector after trimming to spec.

One quirk that we learned along the way... You need to coat the gun after a repair like this. The repair showed right through the parking.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    When you do, I prefer to use copper. If you're feeling adventurous, you could mill out a piece of copper to the shape of ejector you want, then fill with weld.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Ejector is welded. Now he will be filling/grinding/sanding. Awptickes I did not feel adventurous. I just just smashed a piece of copper pipe in the vice

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    How did it turn out?
    I managed to finish everything on my 74 except for parkerizing thanks to Foodpoison today.

I think it turned out pretty good. Looks like I have a lot of grinding to do though. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks to Dan G & FoodPoison my ejector has extra material now. Going to grind it down and re-heat treat this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom