• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As you may know, it is legal to possess and to open carry a switchblade or automatic opening knife in Maryland. However it is not legal to purchase (or trade for) one within the state unless in an excepted category that enables purchase for use on the job (such as law enforcement). Like higher capacity magazines, one can purchase in a nearby state and drive them back. However the sales of automatic knives are also restricted in Virginia and Pennsylvania, limiting nearby options for Marylanders.

West Virginia, North Carolina, and Indiana are nearby states that allow sales, and I might be making summer trips to at least a couple of them.

I am interested in possibly picking up a Boker Kalashnikov Automatic ...

boker-kalashnikov-black-stonewash-large.jpg

It's a want thing ... not a need thing ... I have faster opening non-automatics for EDC.

Anyone have knife store recommendations in these states (WV, NC, IN)? :D

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I'd be interested to know as well. I note that concealed carry of autos is not legal in WV or NC, though sale and open carry is. This means they might not be very common in stores. IN seems the most likely, but it's also the farthest away.

Should note something important in MD law: It's illegal to sell them, not buy them. And contrary to signs posted in certain MD knife stores, there is no exception for law enforcement or military under state law.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    Are you sure it's legal to open carry an auto knife? I always thought that was a no go in MD.

I picked up a Protech TR-3 when I was out west this winter. Great knife, opens with authority and very sharp out of the box.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Are you sure it's legal to open carry an auto knife? I always thought that was a no go in MD.
    Yes I am sure. CR 4-101 only prohibits concealed carry, and CR 4-105 only prohibits sale of autos and ballistics. MD does not have any laws against open carry of anything, except handguns or deliberately assaulting someone.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes I am sure. CR 4-101 only prohibits concealed carry, and CR 4-105 only prohibits sale of autos and ballistics. MD does not have any laws against open carry of anything, except handguns or deliberately assaulting someone.

Thanks

What constitutes open carry? Clipped inside a pocket, clip and top of knife exposed? Clipped to pocket/belt with whole knife exposed?

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    What constitutes open carry? Clipped inside a pocket, clip and top of knife exposed? Clipped to pocket/belt with whole knife exposed?

There is no definitive answer, so any comment by anyone is largely speculation. It is not clarified in the statute other than to say "concealed on or about the person." There is very little case law debating this point, though Polk v. Maryland 2007 did state in reference to a fixed blade:
    Though drawing an inference, perhaps,the reasonable observer knows when he has seen a knife, a six-gun, or a sword. Concealment "should be made of sterner stuff."

It's going to come down to an individual officer's judgement. Granted, said officer would have to have a reason to be checking you in the first place, because an auto looks like any other folder until taken out. So I guess that means don't break the law when carrying a knife.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is not so much that little case law on 4-101 , but that most of it is contradictory.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I've seen the auto Boker being sold in catalogs like BudK and Atlanta Cutlery.
    Also on Bladeplay.com and other knife sites. I got mine a few years back at a gun show.
    Some sellers seem to care about knife control laws and others don't.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'd be interested to know as well. I note that concealed carry of autos is not legal in WV or NC, though sale and open carry is. This means they might not be very common in stores. IN seems the most likely, but it's also the farthest away.

Should note something important in MD law: It's illegal to sell them, not buy them. And contrary to signs posted in certain MD knife stores, there is no exception for law enforcement or military under state law.

I've seen the auto Boker being sold in catalogs like BudK and Atlanta Cutlery.
    Also on Bladeplay.com and other knife sites. I got mine a few years back at a gun show.
    Some sellers seem to care about knife control laws and others don't.

The knife laws in MD also don't prohibit intrastate transfer of automatic knives that are not sales, such as gifts.

Federal law prohibits interstate sales of automatics to private parties but some knife sites seem to argue otherwise (and the legal advice there is worth as much as you paid for it). The federal law arose from a Democratic senator seeing a movie with switchblades, and thinking that they could contribute to juvenile delinquency and crime, sought to ban interstate sales. The federal law puts the onus on the sellers not the buyers. There are online sellers that are careful not to break this law, and there is a vast community of online sellers (not the major knife websites) that seem to skirt it.

I would really like to get the more obscure dagger style automatic pictured in the first post, and do make it through Indiana every so often (where I discovered Boker automatic knives in a gun store), but need to survey the state for dedicated knife stores where they have a large selection including nicer models, such as Benchmades. Have this basic Boker model below ... note the star on the pivot pin and the AK mag style case (yes, kitschy, but has appeal to me :D ) ...

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
      DSC_0008.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 689
    • DSC_0009.jpg
      DSC_0009.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 670
    • DSC_0020.jpg
      DSC_0020.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 669
    • DSC_0027.jpg
      DSC_0027.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 713
    • DSC_0031.jpg
      DSC_0031.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 698

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    If you're planning a trip, please remember that in VA possession of an automatic is a crime. Choose your route wisely.

Also, as per federal law it is illegal to ship by USPS, so choose UPS or Fedex.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good point. There's probably no FOPA equivalent for travel with certain knives through states that ban them, so placing them in a locked container or trunk wouldn't cut it. Makes shopping in NC problematic if driving back to MD. Perhaps mailing automatic knives back to your home address would be the safest route when shopping in a state that allows sales.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're planning a trip, please remember that in VA possession of an automatic is a crime. Choose your route wisely.

It is legal to own any type of knife in Virginia.

It is illegal to conceal carry a dirk, bowie knife, switchblade, machete, ballistic knife, throwing starts or oriental darts, or any knife of a like kind.

It is legal to open carry any type of knife.

http://www.knifeup.com/virginia-knife-laws/

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    There's an argument in the comments of that link about this portion of Virginia code which seems to regulate the possession of switchblades unless one is a "collector"* as it imputes that possession is evidence of an intent to sell ...

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife as defined in § 18.2-307.1, or like weapons, such person is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359; 2013, c. 746.)

I don't know if there is case law that clarifies the statue.

*collector exception discussed here

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For anyone traveling on I-90 through Indiana, here is one store that sells automatics just east of South Bend (home of Notre Dame) ...

http://www.midwestgunexchange.com/knives-for-sale-in-indiana.cfm

(mentioned here too)

They likely have a bigger selection than Indiana pawn shops - which are one easy option to find inexpensive automatics. Not sure if Midwest Gun Exchange currently sells the less expensive Bokers that I mentioned in the OP - as I can't find them on their website. They do sell Piranha automatics which are a bit pricier (and I have no experience with).

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I think i've seen a switch blade vendor at a PA gun show before. can anyone confirm this or am I having an alzheimer's moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom