• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Hmm, got a line on a EG Makarov. Just what I need to round out my Mak pistol collection. But it is just over $500. Maybe a little pricey, but don't know if I can resist! What do you think a German Mak is worth these days? Maybe have to sell off a Tok or CZ82 to justify this new acquisition.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    500 is a normal price. I wouldn't sell another handgun to get a EGM. Just wait for a bit and check GB or gunshows. You prolly will be able to find one under 5 bills

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'd ditto yellowsled's comments. Especially, if the East German Mak's in less than pristine condition.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Per the above $400 to $450. The market isnt super liquid on these but they are not rare either.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I agree with $400-450.

I bought an excellent one from Lou about 2 years ago for $350 if I remember right. I thought it was an excellent deal.

I'd wait and see, you'll find one pop up on Gunbroker for a decent price sooner or later.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    What's 50 bucks? If you like it and the finish is excellent, pay the $500. That will seem like a steal in just a few years.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    What's 50 bucks? If you like it and the finish is excellent, pay the $500. That will seem like a steal in just a few years.

^^ This. If you're a dealer and trying to make a profit on a short term resell, $50 makes a difference. If not, I agree with Combloc. They're not making them anymore :)

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    It's not pristine. 1962 manufacture with some holster wear. It would be my first actual Mak, as I have P64s and CZ82s, two of each.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you want pristine, and can do without getting a East German (and have an HQL), Southern Ohio Gun is receiving a shipment of unissued Bulgarian Maks next week. Cash price is $329/each, not including shipping, and they're not C&R (so transfer fees too).

It's probably nice to start with an East German (or a Soviet/Russian), but at $500, you'll be paying higher than what they've been going for locally over the last year. I believe Abulg got an East German for just above $400 in one of the local auctions a couple months ago (Just Got it Now thread), and I remember seeing another at a very similar price (linked via MDS, I believe) about the same time.

If the person is willing to take $450, they're still getting a pretty good (higher than market) remuneration and you might feel less conflicted about an overpayment. Sometimes it's not the money (meaning the one can afford it), but not wanting to unnecessarily waste it. Moreover, if it's a gun you really really want, if they say no to $450, at least you tried, and then can pay the full freight.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Ohio Ordnance Works recently had EG Maks for under $500. Sadly, they're sold out now. I was cautioned that their price ($475, I think) was a little high, but not entirely unreasonable.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Was that a couple of months ago? If so he said I was second in line when I tried to order that one. I'm glad to see it went to a fellow MDS'er.

Yes, that was me. I just happened to be sitting right at my computer when the email came out and was on that thing like stank on poo!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    EG Maks are the best Mak made. I have 1960-65 and they are worth every penny

here's 'how I rank them
    EG
    Bulgy
    Rusky Military
    Chicom
    Commercial Rusky

Interesting. I have a commercial Russian and it's quite nicely fit and finished. I'll have to inspect it real close to my shooter Bulgarian, but from memory I didn't think there was much of a difference OR that the Russian was even a tad nicer.

Maybe I'm on crack :D

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Maybe I'm cray-cray, but 5 bills for an EGM is nutz.

$303 with holster, May 2015.

7777fe72a9285e17679a88be234824fc.jpg

d5e5b014005f9dc330ed80100fee1139.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom