• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    It is said most of the MAS 1949 and MAS 1944 are Counter-bored. Is it true?

Why French did the counter-boring any way? The accuracy of the rifles is negative impacted by doing this?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Counterboring isn't bad, sure its not exactly a plus value wise but it can restore a worn rifle to well performing status.

That said I have probably looked at 12 or more 49/56 bores and have seen dark, grey, frosted etc but never counterbored.

Given the choice I would rather have a shiny counterbored barrel than a dark non bored barrel.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Counterboring isn't bad, sure its not exactly a plus value wise but it can restore a worn rifle to well performing status.

That said I have probably looked at 12 or more 49/56 bores and have seen dark, grey, frosted etc but never counterbored.

Given the choice I would rather have a shiny counterbored barrel than a dark non bored barrel.

The dark bore is from parkerizing when these were arsenal rebuilt in the 70s. The good news is that with rounds down the barrel the parkerizing wears away and you eventually get back to a smooth, shiny bore (assuming it was in that condition before parking!).
    As to counterboring, it was a std feature on post war MAS 36s as well as the MAS 44/49/49-56 family. Makes perfect sense. Rag on the French all you want but the MAS 49/56 is a fantastic battle rifle and still a great bargain at today's market prices.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    The arsenal rebuilt was done in France?

MSDP website says MAS 49 is not banned. Do you think it covers the MAS 49/56?

QUOTE=mawkie;4001070]The dark bore is from parkerizing when these were arsenal rebuilt in the 70s. The good news is that with rounds down the barrel the parkerizing wears away and you eventually get back to a smooth, shiny bore (assuming it was in that condition before parking!).
    As to counterboring, it was a std feature on post war MAS 36s as well as the MAS 44/49/49-56 family. Makes perfect sense. Rag on the French all you want but the MAS 49/56 is a fantastic battle rifle and still a great bargain at today's market prices.[/QUOTE]

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

Yup. Still remember unwrapping my first French rifle, a MAS 49/56, and the big plastic bag of accessories that I got from Lou back in the 90s. Paperwork from the arsenal rework in the accessory bag had a late 70s date.
    Not long after this the French army converted to the FAMAS and only support units and the Gendarme kept the 49/56 in use. When they were eventually retired (believe it was roughly 10 yrs ago) these rifles were never exported, but destroyed as per the UN Small Arms agreement that France signed on to.
    So you'll never see another batch of MAS 49s or 49/56s imported again.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Admire the old days which will never come back. What a waste to destroy these good rifles!

If you decide to sell yours sometime in the future, please let me know :)

Yup. Still remember unwrapping my first French rifle, a MAS 49/56, and the big plastic bag of accessories that I got from Lou back in the 90s. Paperwork from the arsenal rework in the accessory bag had a late 70s date.
    Not long after this the French army converted to the FAMAS and only support units and the Gendarme kept the 49/56 in use. When they were eventually retired (believe it was roughly 10 yrs ago) these rifles were never exported, but destroyed as per the UN Small Arms agreement that France signed on to.
    So you'll never see another batch of MAS 49s or 49/56s imported again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom