• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Can anyone confirm or deny they msp has a new memmo out out that list government workers and first responders along with a hand full of other as assumed risk professions and will be granted ccw permit if applied for.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Can anyone confirm or deny they msp has a new memmo out out that list government workers and first responders along with a hand full of other as assumed risk professions and will be granted ccw permit if applied for.
    Source of information? This would be big news if true.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    First responders?
    Hmmm, I can see a few problems with a firefighter running into a burning building with his CCW tucked into his bunker pants....:innocent0 I'd also guess that most Maryland career departments (EMS or Fire) would most definitely not want their members armed while on duty.

Much as I'd like to be able to carry in MD, I can't really see this being a legit reason for non-LEO first responders.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    On their Facebook page someone posted a link to a memo that looks official but I have no way of knowing for sure
    That is why I am asking here

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Old news. Here is the SOP that became effective 9/1 previously posted in other threads here

"ASSUMED RISK POSITION: a position of government/public safety/criminal justice employment where, by
    virtue of the positions duties and responsibilities, the employee voluntarily and knowingly assumes the
    risks that those duties will either place their lives in imminent danger and/or subject them to be targeted
    by individuals or entities seeking to do them harm as a result of performing those duties or
    responsibilities."

Attachments

• S.O.P. 29-15-007 - Processing of Handgun Permit Applications (1).pdf
      105.3 KB · Views: 328

ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Old news. Here is the SOP that became effective 9/1

"ASSUMED RISK POSITION: a position of government/public safety/criminal justice employment where, by
    virtue of the positions duties and responsibilities, the employee voluntarily and knowingly assumes the
    risks that those duties will either place their lives in imminent danger and/or subject them to be targeted
    by individuals or entities seeking to do them harm as a result of performing those duties or
    responsibilities."

I've seen that too...the only definition in there that can be stretched is the assumed risk definition...perhaps they are being liberal on that.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've seen that too...the only definition in there that can be stretched is the assumed risk definition...perhaps they are being liberal on that.

I know first hand that as of 8/18 that the MSP was considering how to handle the threat to military personnel after the Tenn. attack. I had a one on one with First Sgt Casey on that topic (Deputy Commander of the Lic. Div). The 9/1 SOP may well be the answer. How they apply it will be the key. Do you have a permit application filed with them? If so, could you please let me know its status and what happens? A PM will be fine. Thanks.

ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know first hand that as of 8/18 that the MSP was considering how to handle the threat to military personnel after the Tenn. attack. I had a one on one with First Sgt Casey on that topic (Deputy Commander of the Lic. Div). The 9/1 SOP may well be the answer. How they apply it will be the key. Do you have a permit application filed with them? If so, could you please let me know its status and what happens? A PM will be fine. Thanks.

No prob...yes my case completion date is 10/7....so I'll know in a couple of weeks.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am really thinking about applying now.
    I fit into the category
    1: I am a fire fighter
    2: I work for federal government.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I hope that this is really a way for Firefighters to get their CCW. Obviously, we wouldn't be able to carry on duty. Over the years I have had several people recognize me from work while out and about. Thankfully I haven't had anyone approach me aggressively because they may have perceived something my crew did/didn't do that they didn't like.

When I got my DC permit Sgt. Hall showed me a handwritten note in my file that specifically said that "I can not carry while at work".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom