• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What's the chamber 3inch vs. 2 3/4? Does that mean it only accepts 3inch shells? I'm am sorry for these basic questions, I just don't know about shotguns but I had a last shooting them today.

Second question, no. If it shoots 3" shells it will also shoot and cycle 2 3/4" shells. Maybe even 2 1/2" shells.

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    My brother put 3" shells in a double 12 gauge. It was clearly marked 2 3/4. The shells were the only ones I had at the time. Went off without a hitch.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    When I first got my M2, I spent the extra dough to use 3" shells when hunting.

My Dad did the same thing with 3 1/2" shells with his Super Black Eagle II.

Now, both of us save the dough and shoulder punishment and shoot 2 3/4" shells. Not enough of a gain IMHO.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just out of curiosity, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Well, when I was young and dumb, I was at Whiteford quarries and some one there let me shoot their sawed off shotgun. It was a blast and I thought it might be fun to shoot a 3" shell in it.

It wasn't fun, the fore stock popped off in my hand and the action lever came back and cut the hell out of the web of my hand. I only needed to do that once
    No permanent damage though.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Well, when I was young and dumb, I was at Whiteford quarries and some one there let me shoot their sawed off shotgun. It was a blast and I thought it might be fun to shoot a 3" shell in it.

It wasn't fun, the fore stock popped off in my hand and the action lever came back and cut the hell out of the web of my hand. I only needed to do that once
    No permanent damage though.

See, quick learner. Only had to do it once! :lol:

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    If you are going hunting for say turkey, you will most likely use a 3" shell. That with a full choke or specialized choke will get you a fairly tight group at 40+ yards. If its for home defense, 2 3/4 is more than enough to get the job done.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    My brother put 3" shells in a double 12 gauge. It was clearly marked 2 3/4. The shells were the only ones I had at the time. Went off without a hitch.

A lot of 2 3/4 inc chambers will accept a 3 inch shell because the chamber is cut to allow for the length of a fired shell, with the crimped portion fully unfolded against the chamber walls. When you put & fire a 3 inch shell in that chamber, the crimped portion will open up and lay against the smaller diameter of the barrel beyond the chamber. So if even f the gun is strong enough to handle the 3" shell without damage, it may have extraction problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom