• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Could someone tell me how much it is to join at the Izaac Walton in Clearspring?

Why is there nowhere around here that's either cheap to shoot at or doesn't require a membership?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS SHOOT DAMMIT. Sleepy Creek would be so nice.

Also, I stopped by Tannermans the other day and they were nice. I showed interest in a shotgun and the guy started to haggle over the price like a pawn shop.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Could someone tell me how much it is to join at the Izaac Walton in Clearspring?

Why is there nowhere around here that's either cheap to shoot at or doesn't require a membership?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS SHOOT DAMMIT. Sleepy Creek would be so nice.

Also, I stopped by Tannermans the other day and they were nice. I showed interest in a shotgun and the guy started to haggle over the price like a pawn shop.

I believe its 120 for the first year and 60 for every year after that and you need a sponsor.

Cause most people in this area either join one of the clubs or have enough property to shoot on there own land or know someone that does. And the inital startup costs of opening a public range is not worth the investment for the reasons stated before.

Tannerman's is a pawnshop and well a gunshop they also deal in precious metals.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Key statements have been bolded if you arent interested in big game hunting and spending 2k plus don't bother its not that same store it was 10 years ago. :sad20:

:lol: What he said. :lol:

They have weird hours now, mostly by appointment only. Their ammo is the most expensive I have seen. They tend to rape the hunters headed out west that have always stopped in Hancock on the way for ammo. Prices on firearms are higher than standard and unless you have cash in hand, they will sit back and watch you look around.

At least that has been my experience the past 3 years.

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I took my shotgun out to Sleepy Creek today and couldn't find it. I entered the wildlife area, went up the mountain, back down the mountain and found myself at the lake. A bunch of camping areas but I couldn't find the shooting range.

What did I miss?

Simms65

Oct 24, 2007
    Inwood, WV
    If you came from Dry Run/Exit 13 in Martinsburg, you missed a left turn at the top of the mountain before you go down to the lake and camping area. Turn left there and the range will be on your left in ~1/2 mile.

I'm not sure why the hate for Tannerman's. I know that the stuff isn't overpriced (especially compared to a couple of the other shops in the area) because I do some of the pricing there. There must be a pretty big lack of knowledge about how small the margin is on most items that a gun shop stocks. For class III stuff, Mike and Melinda at EFI are top notch. Mike is currently collecting parts for a rifle build for me. :D

As far as folks not knowing what they are talking about, I'd ask you to come into the store and speak with me about it. Everyone there tries to be as knowledgeable as possible. I'm usually there Friday evenings and Saturdays. My name is David. If you'd rather talk on the phone I'd be happy to get you my cell number, just ask.

We stopped with the archery business because it was costing the shop a loss of 5 figures a year to keep it open.

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Wait, so after you enter the park and you're going up the mountain, you make that left at the top? When I was returning from the lake I turned into there but turned around because I was REAL low on gas and though I shouldn't be wandering out too much further. Dang it. I was right there. Why no sign?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Thanks for these suggestions. I popped into Shep's last week to take a look around. Not bad. The guy at the counter was friendly and their inventory was your usual stuff at decent prices.

Hopefully after the 1st I'll take a day to find all the others that were mentioned.

Did they have a good inventory of firearms - both handguns and long guns?How was pricing? Do they do transfers?

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Did they have a good inventory of firearms - both handguns and long guns?How was pricing? Do they do transfers?

Definitely more long guns than handguns. From what I can remember they had a few different Taurus, Rock Island and a bunch of 9mm. Didn't pay attention to the brand because I didn't have an interest. But, still a fairly small inventory, it's a small shop. Didn't notice ammo prices. The pricing was average, fair deals. Yes on the transfers and again, from memory, I believe it was a good price.

Looking over this post, I didn't really provide any good information.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Just an FYI in a few weeks there's a new public range opening up in Hedgesville the last weekend of this month. Rifle range will be 200 yards.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Just an FYI in a few weeks there's a new public range opening up in Hedgesville the last weekend of this month. Rifle range will be 200 yards.

first i've heard. this isn't sleey creek is it? this might require it's own new thread in teh "west virginia" forum....

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Whats the name of that little shop with bad hours at the intersection of rt 9 and rt 11 ?

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    No it's not. I think it maybe the one that Tannerman's is opening up. As of right now that one will only be open Fri, Sat, and Sun
    That sounds right.

There's also 340 Defense for rifle over in Rippon (right off Route 9 near the WV/VA border), and GlockCop has a pistol range at Route 11 and Tabler Station Road.

Simms65

Oct 24, 2007
    Inwood, WV

RR will be 100yds, just an FYI. :)

5 rifle bays @ 100 yds, 14 pistol bays @ 50 yds.

There will be at least one RO on duty at all times while the range is open, so no Sleepy Creek style shenanigans.

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    Sparks Sports Center, Martinsburg.
    Sparks Sport Center is located at Rt 11 S Wheatland Ext Martinsburg, WV

They have and underground range. Clerk goes out and drops targets down thru a manhole. Great place.

Simms65

Oct 24, 2007
    Inwood, WV
    The building is still there, and they are still trying to lease it for a ton of money. I think that's the biggest reason why it is empty. Whoever owns it now thinks it is worth more than anyone around here is willing to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom