• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Can someone clarify for me the steps I will need to take in order to purchase a handgun this spring? I know that there is now going to be a class and that MSI was talking about offering those. I couldn't afford to purchase one pre-October 1. :sad20:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Step 1 - Take 4 hour training class, take hunter safety class, or provide proof of exemption from training.

Step 2 - Get electronic fingerprints taken and submitted to MSP

Step 3 - fill out HQL application and send it to MSP along with a payment for $50

Step 4 - wait 120 +days

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Step 1 - Take 4 hour training class, take hunter safety class, or provide proof of exemption from training.

Step 3 - fill out HQL application and send it to MSP along with a payment for $50

Step 4 - wait 120 +days

I already have hunter safety, so my card for that will suffice?

Sounds like if I want to buy in the spring with my tax rebate, I ought to start the process now?

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Go through these steps.

-Have you purchased a regulated firearm before?

No, you will require training. $100 - $200

Yes, no training.

-Go and have livescan fingerprints done. $50- $75

-Go online to MSP website and fill out the HQL application and also enter your livescan # on the application. $50

-Spend $200- $300 and wait up to 30 days and presto. HQL

At least that's how MSP says it will work. The HQL application won't even be available until 10/1.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Sounds like if I want to buy in the spring with my tax rebate, I ought to start the process now?

Hunter Safety will get you exempt from training.

Now all you have to do is wait for MSP to make the HQL application available.

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    Wow the app. and the process will cost as much as the firearm ......lol

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Go through these steps. -Have you purchased a regulated firearm before? No, you will require training. $100 - $200 Yes, no training. -Go and have livescan fingerprints done. $50- $75 -Go online to MSP website and fill out the HQL application and also enter your livescan # on the application. $50 -Spend $200- $300 and wait up to 30 days and presto. HQL At least that's how MSP says it will work. The HQL application won't even be available until 10/1.

Spend $200-300 and wait up to 30days...what's that $200-300 for. I know you have to pay for livescan and $50 hql app. Is the msp fee going from $10 to $200-300??

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Can someone clarify for me the steps I will need to take in order to purchase a handgun this spring? I know that there is now going to be a class and that MSI was talking about offering those.

As several people have already noted in response to your inquiry, yes, a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) certificate for the hunter safety course, no matter when it was issued, will fulfill the training requirement. You'll be required to enter the certificate number on the HQL application.

(I have raised the question of whether similar certificates issued by the other 49 states -- all of which Maryland recognizes for hunter-license purposes under a reciprocity provision in the applicable DNR statute -- will also be accepted for the HQL application. The MSP told me that question is still under review. It is my opinion that under the language of SB 281/Chapter 427, such certificates are equivalent to the DNR certificate and ought to be accepted.)

A person who "lawfully owns a regulated firearm" at the time of the application is exempt from the training. It is not necessary that the firearm already be "registered" in the Maryland system, but to claim this exemption from training, you will be required to provide the details (serial number, etc.) on one (1) regulated firearm that you already "lawfully own." On the other hand, if you once purchased a regulated firearm in Maryland but later sold it, you do not qualify for this exemption -- the law speaks of ownership at the time of the application.

It should also be noted that nobody is required to have a HQL to purchase an antique handgun, or a "curio, or relic firearm, as defined in Federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives." I'll address the "antique" exception below. The "curio/relic" ("C&R") exception has nothing (nothing) to do with the Federal Firearms License 03 (Collector of Curios & Relics). The SB 281/Chapter 427 exception is for a class of handguns, not a class of persons.

A handgun can become a curio/relic in one of two ways under federal law. First, a firearm automatically becomes C&R 50 years to the day after it is manufactured, if it is still in its original configuration (i.e., if it hasn't been rebuilt is some substantial way) -- this is what is meant by "defined in federal law," and for shorthand can be referred to as "the 50-year rule." Second, the federal ATF accepts requests to make "determinations" that specific models should be classified as C&R, because they meet certain criteria regarding historic interest to collectors and so forth, even if they are less than 50 years old. Those that ATF approves are added to lists that are issued at infrequent intervals by the ATF. The process and list are a bit similar to the way the Handgun Roster system works in Maryland, but the ATF lists are updated far less frequently.

The 50-year rule is by far the most important of these two routes to C&R status. However, there are certain cases in which the ATF special-determination lists are useful. For example, the classic Colt Woodsman .22 pistol, in all its variants, was determined by ATF to be C&R eligible, up through the final year of manufacture, which was 1978.

If someone wishes to purchase a C&R-defined handgun, he will check off a box claiming the HQL exemption on the 77R transfer form. He will be required, of course, to provide all of the usual information on manufacturer, serial number, etc., and the Maryland State Police will use that information to review the C&R eligibility, to the extent they think necessary. All of the other handgun-transfer requirements -- the waiting period, and so forth -- continue to apply. The exception only applies to the requirement for a HQL.

The term "antique" refers to an entirely different class of handguns. Federal law and Maryland law actually define "antique" a bit differently, and it is not entirely clear which definition is being applied here, although I would say it is the federal definition. Anyway, there are very few cases in which it makes any difference which definition they use. To oversimplify a little, again, this exception basically applies to muzzleloaders, and also to handguns that were actually manufactured before 1899. It does NOT apply to replicas of old guns, if they fire currently available fixed cartridges. Transfer of "antique" handguns has not been regulated in Maryland in the past, so the exception for "antique" handguns is of little importance here.

Last edited:

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

If you are getting a "tax rebate" then you made the classic mistake of having too much tax withheld from your paycheck. If you had the proper amount withheld, you would have been much better off having that money now and already purchased the handgun. That gun will now not only cost you more, but you gave the government an interest free loan. Sorry for the sermon.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt the HQL supposed to get challenged in court after Oct 1 (when the law officially goes in effect)?

I know there probably is no chance of the HQL being shot down at this point, but Id wait to see what happens with that before you go out one.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt the HQL supposed to get challenged in court after Oct 1 (when the law officially goes in effect)?

I know there probably is no chance of the HQL being shot down at this point, but Id wait to see what happens with that before you go out one.

That is what the understanding is. It will be a long and expensive process. If recent history is any indication, the AG will release a statement that the new law is "legal and follows the Constitution", then the local courts will deny any stay or injunction and we will wait forever for an appeal.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    That is what the understanding is. It will be a long and expensive process. If recent history is any indication, the AG will release a statement that the new law is "legal and follows the Constitution", then the local courts will deny any stay or injunction and we will wait forever for an appeal.

This is why Im on the wait & see on the HQL. If it does happen I will get one, because Im not gonna stop buying and shooting handguns. Those who say they wont get an HQL, are falling right into Omalleys plan.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    If you are getting a "tax rebate" then you made the classic mistake of having too much tax withheld from your paycheck. If you had the proper amount withheld, you would have been much better off having that money now and already purchased the handgun. That gun will now not only cost you more, but you gave the government an interest free loan. Sorry for the sermon.

Thanks, that was very helpful. :rolleyes:

Everyone else, thank you. It is good to know what process I am going to have to go through.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Waiting to buy a handgun based on what "MIGHT" happen is fools folly.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    A handgun can become a curio/relic in one of two ways under federal law. First, a firearm automatically becomes C&R 50 years to the day after it is manufactured, if it is still in its original configuration (i.e., if it hasn't been rebuilt is some substantial way) -- this is what is meant by "defined in federal law," and for shorthand can be referred to as "the 50-year rule."

Just to clarify, the specific serial numbered gun or the basic model of the gun?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013

Step 4 - wait 120 +days

I think that you need to do step 3 before step 2 so that you can get the code needed for livescan to be sent to MSP electronically.

MSP website indicates one should start with step 3 - and they will show you the way:D

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think that you need to do step 3 before step 2 so that you can get the code needed for livescan to be sent to MSP electronically.

MSP website indicates one should start with step 3 - and they will show you the way:D

The code hasn't been created yet, as with the CCW application, you can submit it before you do fingerprints but it is not advised. The code for HQL will be in the livescan system for use with the electronic fingerprints, there is no code to get from the application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom