• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Anyone out there have a Savage 64 semi automatic riflle?

Just wondering how accurate the rifle is and whether or not you had any problems with the gun. Right now I'm looking at whether or not to buy the Savage 64 or a Ruger 10/22.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Got a 10/22. Some dudes totally pimp them out and spend over 3 times what they purchase them for. I guess for competitions.

I only put in a new set of sights and that's it. For me is a rifle for fun. Nothing more.

p.s. A bit of a pain to clean, but that's ok.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I can't speak on the Savage, but I have several 10/22's. They are very reliable, and fun to build on. All kinds of upgraded parts can be found everywhere.

MH

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Honestly? I didn't even know Savage made a semi-auto .22.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Savage isnt a bad gun, I have one, not crazy about it though as it offers no advantage over a Marlin or a Ruger and the keyhole shaped mag is a pain.

I would go with the 10/22 or a Marlin 60.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Also take a look at the Marlin 795. I saw it a few months ago at Sport Authority for $110

Unless you are buying a specialized gun or it is so cheap you cant resist, I would pass on the 795. Nothing wrong with it it is the same as the classic 60 with a mag but for a mag gun the Ruger gives you many more options (including flawless butler creek 25rd mags) and upgrade options.

I have two Marline Papooses which are based on the 795 and they are great guns but as noted are ...........specialized.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    ... but the Marlin 795 is a lot more accurate out of the box than the Ruger is. yeah you cannot dress it out as much as the Ruger but for accuracy sake you don't ahve too unlike the Ruger.

For the price you cannot beat the Marlin 795, easy to take apart and clean, way more accurate than the 10/22 but you cannot dress it up much. The Papoos is pecialized I give you that, as an emergency/back pack gun but where is the 795 more specialized than the Savage 64 or Ruger 10/22?

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Also take a look at the Marlin 795. I saw it a few months ago at Sport Authority for $110

Yea I saw that Gander Mountain had one on sale for ~$100 a month or so ago but everyone was saying that the Marlin was a piece of junk, was OK for accuracy IF you were shooting at the broad side of a barn, etc.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yea I saw that Gander Mountain had one on sale for ~$100 a month or so ago but everyone was saying that the Marlin was a piece of junk, was OK for accuracy IF you were shooting at the broad side of a barn, etc.

Except for that kinkable recoil spring but what can I say in love the 60 which has the same weakness

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I had a Savage 22 Semi Auto when I was a kid - not sure what model number it was but all I did know it was a pile of dog S**T. It completly turned me off to Savage - I will never buy there stuff again. It was so poorly made, and it would burst fire 3 shoots with one pull of the trigger, then jam. It was the only gun I have ever gotten rid of. I tried to have it fixed by a gunsmith - finally I gave up on it, and I think I gave the damn thing away.

If I was in the market for another .22 LR rifle - I would most def go with a 10/22. You can totally trick them out into tackdrivers. The barrels come off without any gunsmithing tools - there so many Barrels out there for them, as well as triggers, stocks - you name it.

Volquartsen makes some pretty cool stuff for the 10/22. Check out there page here:

https://www.volquartsen.com/

As far as Marlins go - mine have been very reliable - they will eat any round you feed it, and accuarcy is pretty respectable for a gun of that cost. Ive dropped plenty of rabbits & fruit robbing chipmunks with mine. The only drawback is they ae not as customizeable as a 10/22. But I dont care to spend that much money on a rimfire.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The inaccuracy of semi-auto .22's is what has kept me from buying one.

I haven't seen one yet that could shoot a decent group.

In a pistol, a pie-sized group at 25 yards might be acceptable. In a rifle, it's just sad. But that's what I routinely see from 10/22's.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    The inaccuracy of semi-auto .22's is what has kept me from buying one.

I haven't seen one yet that could shoot a decent group.

In a pistol, a pie-sized group at 25 yards might be acceptable. In a rifle, it's just sad. But that's what I routinely see from 10/22's.

My out-of-box Marlin 795 shoots 5 shot groups at 25 yards smaller than a dime - I paid $99 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom