• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    If you read what you wrote and read what I wrote then you'll see we are in agreement. "Obviously if you repel an attacker by knocking him down and then jump on him" and then continue to attack be it by GnP or by jointlocks / chokes then you generally are seen to have turned into the aggressor. You are no longer considered to be defending yourself when you have completed defense, and then instead of disengaging you follow them to the ground and resume the fight. I've never said groundwork is not good to have; it's more then necessary especially for little people like me. You just have to be very careful in your application of it.

My bad if I misread your intent.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Bringing the thread back to life.

Anyone know of a decect place relatively close to Bel Air where a noob can get some training? Thinking of checking out the place Indiana Jones recommended in Towson, but I wanted to see what else is around.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Bringing the thread back to life.

Anyone know of a decect place relatively close to Bel Air where a noob can get some training? Thinking of checking out the place Indiana Jones recommended in Towson, but I wanted to see what else is around.

What type of training are you trying to get?

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'm not really looking for one thing in particular. I guess self defense w/o a weapon is most important to me right now.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I'm not really looking for one thing in particular. I guess self defense w/o a weapon is most important to me right now.

There are a few Martial Arts facilities that are in Harford County if that is the route you are trying to take. If you are looking for something easier to master and effective then I might say shoot Mercop a PM, he is on the forum here and I have taken a few of his classes and he is a well respected authority on close quarters combatives.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    There are a few Martial Arts facilities that are in Harford County if that is the route you are trying to take. If you are looking for something easier to master and effective then I might say shoot Mercop a PM, he is on the forum here and I have taken a few of his classes and he is a well respected authority on close quarters combatives.

Will do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    Anyone ever try Keysi fighting method? This thread got me googling self defense disciplines and it seems to be a pretty controversial but interesting style. Apparently Batman uses it, haha.

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    I have not read every relpy, just the OP. I will say that MMA is not just for sport. It lets you learn a wide variety of styles and how to apply them in different situations. Some of the best MMA fighters have both Boxing and Judo histories.

Boxing gets you tough. It teaches you to get your head OUT of the Way; fast. Kickboxing is also great.

Lets face it. Many fights, both in the ring and on the street, end up on the ground at some point. Judo is a grappling art and there is slim chance at beating a Judo master once you are on the ground.

If you add KRAV MAGA to these two arts, you have, in my opinion, the best mix out there.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co

I've done some JuJitsu in somewhat-younger days (JuJitsu Dojo of Columbia.) However, my go-to for a walk around the block is a 30" x 1" dowel from Home Depot. 4 years ago, I tucked it into the stroller and actually had to pull it out to deflect an unfriendly dog from his charge.

There are a number of gun takeaway techniques in martial arts, but I think some of them had a revolver in mind. Mustn't be fun to grab a semi-auto by the top when the trigger is pulled.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I've done some JuJitsu in somewhat-younger days (JuJitsu Dojo of Columbia.) However, my go-to for a walk around the block is a 30" x 1" dowel from Home Depot. 4 years ago, I tucked it into the stroller and actually had to pull it out to deflect an unfriendly dog from his charge.

There are a number of gun takeaway techniques in martial arts, but I think some of them had a revolver in mind. Mustn't be fun to grab a semi-auto by the top when the trigger is pulled.

It's more fun then being shot. Having said that, yes it is unpleasant but maybe not as much so as you think it might be.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm not a big fan of methods that utilize grabbing the slide right away. I prefer the methods where you grab the arm and only go for the gun/slide when you are ready to take the gun away from the attacker.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    The positive about grabbing the slide is that it forces a failure to cycle. If everything goes to shit and you slip or he pulls away, you still have at least a 1/4 second before the slide is cycled. If they even realize that the trigger is dead that is.

kagemusha

May 8, 2012
    Baltimore City
    In a disarm, if you grab the slide hard enough and push back, you can force it out of battery, and it will not fire. If you can push the muzzle in a safe direction, even if the trigger gets pulled and the gun fires, if you have enough of a grip to force the slide to not cycle, you will induce a malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom