A warning on carrying spring-assisted knives.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    EVERY encounter with LEO's in my (fortunately limited) experience has resulted in me being treated in the same way that I was treating them.

When I was belligerent/know-it-all/generally-douchy-armchair-lawyer-ish, it cost me, Either in time or $ (or both).

When I was polite/conscientious/forthcoming/contrite, usually got the "..have a nice day" in the end

Good post!

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    I had a Park Cop stop me for a cracked windshield and was charged with multiple CDWs for the tools in my bucket on the floor of my pickup. The Judge threw it out but it cost me a days work. I suppose they just arrest em all and let the Judge sort it out. After all all non LE's are criminals looking for a charge.

yup we sure are... all citizens are S-1..... so what did you do ... run your mouth about cracked windshields as not being in the USC? To go to that level you did something brosive

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    thanx for the intell... ren fest here I come.... gonna bag my limit

Rusty if youre serious I'll ask an ASAO his opinion and yes hes conservative and a gun guy

Not sure what you mean by "If youre serious..." or what you'll ask your ASAO. :cool: However, if you tell me what you're referring to, I might consider it. :D

After a quick reread of your post, are you talking about how they would argue the seizure/search? I'd be curious to hear the ASA's opinion but each jdx will approach the topic differently. I know in HoCo many of these cases were nolle prossed because of the pen knife exception but no case comes to mind with a search like this. So if you are game on that point, I'd be interested in hearing what the word is. Shoot me a PM.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Quote:
    I had a Park Cop stop me for a cracked windshield and was charged with multiple CDWs for the tools in my bucket on the floor of my pickup. The Judge threw it out but it cost me a days work. I suppose they just arrest em all and let the Judge sort it out. After all all non LE's are criminals looking for a charge.
    yup we sure are... all citizens are S-1..... so what did you do ... run your mouth about cracked windshields as not being in the USC? To go to that level you did something brosive

He neglected to tell you after he found out that the fine was for $xxx.xx, he grabbed the cop, went bizerk... and, the rest is history..... The only reason it most likely got thrown out (dismissed by the Judge) was the cop made a mistake on the paperwork and he got a loop hole through his attorney

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Quote:

He neglected to tell you after he found out that the fine was for $xxx.xx, he grabbed the cop, went bizerk... and, the rest is history..... The only reason it most likely got thrown out (dismissed by the Judge) was the cop made a mistake on the paperwork and he got a loop hole through his attorney

You should quote by hitting the quote button, not copy/paste. It makes your posts difficult to read. :thumbsup:

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    Which shows what shit taste they have......... Dunkin Donuts trumps the hell out of them.

what a neophyte you are.... pathetic.... K to K has it over double D

Rusty sorry for the confusion but I'll forward some of the info here.... I'm sure case law is loaded up on this and we're missing a big piece of the puzzle... BTW if youre hoco based I'm sure you know Dombrowski, Leppert or some of the boys I trained up there.... FYI Dombrowski is NOT a robot... merely a cyborg that was created by USMC

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I'm also surprised no one mentioned the fact spring-loaded, or spring-assisted knives are illegal in the state...which then goes to the point were your 4th amendment rights infringed upon? We need more answers to what exactly happened.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I'm also surprised no one mentioned the fact spring-loaded, or spring-assisted knives are illegal in the state...which then goes to the point were your 4th amendment rights infringed upon? We need more answers to what exactly happened.
    That sir is incorrect.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    you say bashing and we say its entertaining.... mr keyboard toughguy... possibly in mom basement, naked, with conspiracy theory playing... since that is fact

the reason why there is likely more to this is think of all the professions that require having and using a knife such as landscapers or construction.... I cant think of an event wherein one of them was stopped and locked up for the blade

I do however remember an event where a local homeless guy who was afflicted with paranoid schizophrenia was locked up for a kitchen knife after it was determined its use was not for steak but as a weapon... see the difference or are we back to 'no you shoulda waited til he committed a violent act and only then (and politely) can you approach but you have to wait for a search warrant'

WOAH im on YOUR team! i hate conspiracies! how did i come off as a toughguy? however i was naked......:lol:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

All seemed well till he saw my Malco DK1 in my bucket.( Malco a manufacturer of HVAC tools,DK1 duct knife 1 6" double edged insulation knife) at which point he whacked out and I feared for my life much like the Ohio CCW encounter. He also felt the need to charge me with the steel bar used to knock out the concrete forms from riser shafts. He seemed convinced I was using drugs or up to no good instead of wetting a line after work and my tool bucket was his excuse to trash my truck. After going through all the trouble of cuffing me and putting me in his car he was taking me in for something. Disturb the doughnut your going to jail.

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    EVERY encounter with LEO's in my (fortunately limited) experience has resulted in me being treated in the same way that I was treating them.

When I was belligerent/know-it-all/generally-douchy-armchair-lawyer-ish, it cost me, Either in time or $ (or both).

When I was polite/conscientious/forthcoming/contrite, usually got the "..have a nice day" in the end

:thumbsup:
    This is common sense to me but apparently not to everyone here...

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Amazing how some people get arrested for tools or pocket knives when I have guns and knives and brass knuckle decals all over my car and the worst that ever happens to me when I get pulled over is the officer jokes about the guns in my back window and lets me off with a warning for speeding.
    One time an officer asked to search my car for weapons, I said no and he said have a nice day.
    Just be respectful always when dealing with police and they will more often than not do the same for you.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The more stuff like this I hear about, the more I distrust the Police.
    Even if you are legal, they often, according to anecdotal evidence, violate your civil rights and make you deal with the legal system at your cost for any redress. Many people cannot afford this so simply become the victim through no fault of their own. In my opinion, there is no reason to be "patted down" just for walking around late at night unless there is a curfew. In my opinion, there is no reason to be searched for carrying a legal knife clipped to your pocket much less to have it taken from you by force when there is no legal reason to do so. In my opinion, SOME Police seem to feel they have the right to do whatever they want, legal or not, and to then let the courts decide at the taxpayers and victims expense.Enough.

I guess that one day I will be doing the "perp walk" for no legal reason, maybe for simply carrying a sailors knife (blade and marlin spike). I suppose that walking my German Shepherd Dog on a public street could be considered openly carrying or maintaining a deadly weapon. I, on the other hand have the means and the time to pursue redress through the system, and I will pursue the matter and litigate both criminally and civilly to the limits of the legal system.

ditto

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom