• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jump62

Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island, De
    I use VA Medical care and got a letter today from the Wilmington VA Center offering me up to 4 gun locks for the weapons I own. The letter goes on about firearm safety but then the last two paragraphs deal with some strange stuff. First that I can get my locks mailed to me and the request letter ( from me ) would be shredded and that " we will not maintain documentation of your request " and Second if you " want to remain anonymous " you can pick up the gun locks at the Behavioral Health Check-In window or the VA Police Office at the Wilmington VA. Gun Locks at a Behavioral Health Check-In window?

On the letter envelope sent to me was a stamped code on the outside and the same code on the return envelope if I wanted/needed gun locks. Like most here I could give the VA a few dozen locks I have in a box in the basement so I wonder if this in someway is a continuation of medical discussion about weapons and our health?

I plan to do nothing about this letter and offer but I will stay low profile about my hobbies. This may be an honest offer from our Government but I don't think so. Thinking of making a wind chime out of the locks I have in the box.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If it sounds like too good a deal, it is.

Looking this Administration's "gift horse" in the mouth is a great way to stay whole...lying, cheating, thieving bastards. Every one of them. Hold into your watch and your wallet bro.

No go. Wave off.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I use VA Medical care and got a letter today from the Wilmington VA Center offering me up to 4 gun locks for the weapons I own. The letter goes on about firearm safety but then the last two paragraphs deal with some strange stuff. First that I can get my locks mailed to me and the request letter ( from me ) would be shredded and that " we will not maintain documentation of your request " and Second if you " want to remain anonymous " you can pick up the gun locks at the Behavioral Health Check-In window or the VA Police Office at the Wilmington VA. Gun Locks at a Behavioral Health Check-In window?

On the letter envelope sent to me was a stamped code on the outside and the same code on the return envelope if I wanted/needed gun locks. Like most here I could give the VA a few dozen locks I have in a box in the basement so I wonder if this in someway is a continuation of medical discussion about weapons and our health?

The idea is that every veteran in their VISN who wants them gets his 4 free gun locks but to avoid creating a permanent record of who requested them. They send out the letter and burn the mailing list. Every request card that comes back gets processed by a contractor with the following algorithm: check if number has been used, if negative --> send lock out --> burn form'. He does not have a means to record the addresses the locks go to. In a cryptography sense, that letter is a 'single use key'. If they are not lying bastards and actually do what is described in the letter, there will be no record of who received a lock.

Abundant evidence to the contrary, the VA is not stupid. If they sent them out with an accompanying 'gun registration form', the over-under-sideways-assistant-secretary of veterans affairs ancillary services would spend a week on the hill testifying in front of 10 different republican controlled committees.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The VAMC in DC used to put a basket of cable locks out in the atrium from time to time - free for the taking. Haven't seen any lately, though. I'd pass - the form would pass through too many hands, not all of them clean IMO. Remember what an efficient organization the Armed Forces were during your time in?

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    In Maryland, our police stations have free gun locks for anyone who asks. No name, no record, take as many as you want. The gun locks are from Project Child Safe.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    They will shred the letter you send them to obtain said lock but would not shred the 7 photocopies of that letter which will be used for "research".

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    In Maryland, our police stations have free gun locks for anyone who asks. No name, no record, take as many as you want. The gun locks are from Project Child Safe.

And yet they are not legal to use to pick up a new handgun at the store. Oh, the irony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    my mom passed two years ago Christmas eve. soon after my dad had a va dr appointment. he told them of moms passing and they asked if he had guns, how many and he was told to take gun locks, lock up his guns or else by the dr. when he went to get the locks the sergeant charged with giving them out asked did he really NEED them. dad said no and he told dad to leave and he would take care of it. dad has never heard anymore about it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Believe it or not there are pro 2A folks working at VA.

So true, and I know a few of the Psychiatrists who don't automatically or reflexively go reporting their patients who own guns either. The VA is certainly overburdened and has bad eggs like all other healthcare baskets, but it's not the monster many think it is. Like the MSM, you always hear the bad, never the good.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    So true, and I know a few of the Psychiatrists who don't automatically or reflexively go reporting their patients who own guns either. The VA is certainly overburdened and has bad eggs like all other healthcare baskets, but it's not the monster many think it is. Like the MSM, you always hear the bad, never the good.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom