• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Found a little bit of personal family history, while it may not be the "coolest" to most other people, I figured I'd share it anyway as I know most of you guys can appreciate it. My dad's side of the family all come from Williamsport, PA. where they've been for generations. My Grandfather inherited most of his father and grandfather's firearms, which we still have today. Most aren't very valuable, but have a lot of sentimental value since most have been in the family for over a century.

One of the most cherished possessions is a Savage Model 1899 in .38-55, that my Great-Great Grandfather bought new sometime around 1907. It's killed many deer and bear over the years, but has largely been retired since the 40's. My Grandfather did kill a nice buck with it about 10 years ago though.

We could never find many photographs of my Great-Great Grandfather until recently after another relative died, we found an old photo album of a hunting expedition that my Great-Great Grandfather was apart of. Most of the pictures are dated from around 1907 so that would correspond perfectly with the serial number to when the rifle was brand new.

My Great-Great Grandfather, Ellis MacMinn is the guy in the front left of the photos, sitting with the Savage in most pictures.

See if you guys can figure out what some of the other men are carrying, looks to be a few Winchesters mixed in.

Attachments

• img018.jpg
      img018.jpg
      115.6 KB · Views: 944
    • img019.jpg
      img019.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 953
    • img021.jpg
      img021.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 940
    • img023.jpg
      img023.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 937
    • img025.jpg
      img025.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 942
    • img029.jpg
      img029.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 936
    • img030.jpg
      img030.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 941
    • img038.jpg
      img038.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 931
    • img027.jpg
      img027.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 931
    • img022.jpg
      img022.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 937

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here are some pictures of the same Savage M1899 today. Still in good, working condition.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpg
      IMG_0802.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 922
    • IMG_0809.jpg
      IMG_0809.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 918
    • IMG_0810.jpg
      IMG_0810.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 927
    • IMG_0813.jpg
      IMG_0813.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 916
    • IMG_0818.jpg
      IMG_0818.jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 911
    • IMG_0825.jpg
      IMG_0825.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 918
    • IMG_0828.jpg
      IMG_0828.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 919

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    That was great. Beautiful firearm. Somethings never change except the pictures are in color. Wish I had more of my great grandfather and grandfathers guns but they got diivided up among the family. Many sold.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Really awesome history!

We have a large old family photo of a relative who was a Confederate Colonel during the Civil War...and he is missing two fingers on the hand which is not tucked into his jacket. When we were kids, we swore his gaze followed us around the house, especially when we were getting into trouble with out Daisys and Crossmans.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Really awesome history!

We have a large old family photo of a relative who was a Confederate Colonel during the Civil War...and he is missing two fingers on the hand which is not tucked into his jacket. When we were kids, we swore his gaze followed us around the house, especially when we were getting into trouble with out Daisys and Crossmans.

Not to thread jack, but why do the guys in a lot of these old photos tuck one hand into their jacket?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Ammo is quite expensive, thankfully my Grandpa has several boxes stored already. I've never shot it before, but after thinking about it some more, I'm going to next chance I get.

If your interested we can video it and I'll stick it on our You Tube channel so you can share it with your family for years to come.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Found a little bit of personal family history, while it may not be the "coolest" to most other people, I figured I'd share it anyway as I know most of you guys can appreciate it. My dad's side of the family all come from Williamsport, PA. where they've been for generations. My Grandfather inherited most of his father and grandfather's firearms, which we still have today. Most aren't very valuable, but have a lot of sentimental value since most have been in the family for over a century.

One of the most cherished possessions is a Savage Model 1899 in .38-55, that my Great-Great Grandfather bought new sometime around 1907. It's killed many deer and bear over the years, but has largely been retired since the 40's. My Grandfather did kill a nice buck with it about 10 years ago though.

We could never find many photographs of my Great-Great Grandfather until recently after another relative died, we found an old photo album of a hunting expedition that my Great-Great Grandfather was apart of. Most of the pictures are dated from around 1907 so that would correspond perfectly with the serial number to when the rifle was brand new.

My Great-Great Grandfather, Ellis MacMinn is the guy in the front left of the photos, sitting with the Savage in most pictures.

See if you guys can figure out what some of the other men are carrying, looks to be a few Winchesters mixed in.

HOLY SHIT, in the second picture down, in the center, kneeling, with the rabbit:

THAT IS ME.

That is literally my exact twin.

My dad's side lived in PA for a LONG time, a relative maybe?

Seriously- get SNI here to verity...

THIS IS NUTS- it LOOKS EXACTLY 10000% just like me

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    HOLY SHIT, in the second picture down, in the center, kneeling, with the rabbit:

THAT IS ME.

That is literally my exact twin.

My dad's side lived in PA for a LONG time, a relative maybe?

Seriously- get SNI here to verity...

THIS IS NUTS- it LOOKS EXACTLY 10000% just like me

Lol, with permission from the op, You should crop that and make it your avatar :D

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Greetings.
    We may be related. My father's family were all hill people from Clinton County, PA (mostly Lock Haven and Eagle Township), where they ran the butcher shop and had a black bear (named Andy) at a roadside store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom