• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    What exactly is the difference? can i use my dies from my .300/.221 to load 300 blackout? i'm thinking of having my barrel reamed to a 300 blackout. I'm told i can use the .300/.221 in a blackout chamber, but not the other way around. So what is the difference, is it worth spending the money on having it reamed? Thanks

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    let me clairify....i have a .300/.221 barrel....i know the cas dimensions are VERY similar, with the blackout having a slightly larger throat, but, are there any other differences? i have about 1300 pieces of brass formed, ready to go (just need primers, powder and bullets). Should i just go ahead and ream the barrel? or wait?

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    There is 2 thing different 1st the lead of the Throat just like in a .223 and 5.56 with a longer lead it creates less pressure so you can load a little hotter and get more velocity out of the blackout but with the shorter lead of the 300/.221 it can create to much pressure and create a dangerous situation for you and your rifle. The second thing that is deferent and this is why some people have problems with the Blackout rounds chambering in a 300/.221 is that the brass at the neck is thicker with makes the overall width of a loaded round at the neck wider and will not chamber in most 300/.221 chambers.

Ed

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    Could I use a .221 fireball case length gauge to trim .300 blackout cases? I cant seem to find a .300 blackout case length gauge for my Lee trimmer.

Based on the saami specs. It looks like the .221 fireball case is less than 1mm longer than the .300 case.

....I think I just answered my own question.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Isn't Remington loading the .300 Blackout? The ability to buy factory ammunition would be important for cartridges this close.

Good luck

Jerry

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    Isn't Remington loading the .300 Blackout? The ability to buy factory ammunition would be important for cartridges this close.

Good luck

Jerry

Remington and a few others make factory ammo. Its fairly available and even reasonably priced. Since I already already reload .223 and .308, I know I can make my own and save a few bucks (plus I enjoy reloading).

Midway has the .300aac case length gauge but it's on back order until late July.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    What exactly is the difference? can i use my dies from my .300/.221 to load 300 blackout? i'm thinking of having my barrel reamed to a 300 blackout. I'm told i can use the .300/.221 in a blackout chamber, but not the other way around. So what is the difference, is it worth spending the money on having it reamed? Thanks

If you already have 300/221 brass, leave your chamber alone and spend the money elsewhere. You can use your dies to load either. The case on the 300blk out is a little longer, about .005" if I remember correctly, and that is the difference. The chamber is cut to allow for the longer neck of the casing. Depending on who reamed the chamber, and with what chamber reamer, the rifling lands may be the same, may be deeper, or may be not as deep as the blk out. My reamer for 300/221 cut the rifling lands deeper then the AAC, so by theory I could shoot hotter rounds with that. I don't know what your use is, but if loading subsonic that will never be an issue. If loading supersonic, you will probably use a 168gr or smaller bullet, which due to the profile of the bullet will never come close enough to seating near the lands to be a determining factor in pressure. Yes, remington offers factory ammo and brass. Their factory ammo, subsonic ammo anyway, is no where near the performance of handloads. The brass can simply be trimmed to 300/221 length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom