• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsurferdude2

Dec 25, 2008
    I wanted to do some shooting this past weekend with my BRAND NEW GSG5. So I get it in my mind to find some .22 ammo.

I first call Dicks in Hunt Valley which is where I usually buy my .22 ammo from. They had a shipment that had just arrived of Thunderbolts and were selling for $20 a brick. I was a little hesitant of that so I decided to call around. From what I've heard, thunderbolts arent the best for the GSG5.

So my next call went to Walmart, the new super walmart right next to AAI on York Rd. They are out of everything rimfire. No .22LR or .17hmr

After the walmart call, Continental was next in line. I called and the cheapest they had was $5 a box of 50 for federal and some CCI stingers for $10. That is a little too rich for my blood.

I then call The Gun Shop in Essex. They are out of everything rimfire.

I called Just Guns on Harford rd. The cheapest they had for a brick of federal was $38 dollars. My jaw hit the floor.

My final call went out to Bel Air Gun and Pawn (the place I bought my first gun, a week after my 18th bday). They had some bricks of American Eagle and Winchester for $38 and $50 dollars!!!!!

I nearly had a heart attack after this experience. It was my understanding that I could get a brick of .22LR for under $20. That is the way it has always been. I just needed to post this to rant.

If any one out there knows what I am doing wrong please tell me. I need to stock up on .22s I would like to buy a few thousand rounds if possible.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only thing you can really do is ask the person at the Wally World counter when they get their ammo shipments in and just keep visiting at that time until you find some. And, when you do, stock up! I had to do this for 9mm recently, and it wasn't a ton of fun.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i remember in march '08 buying 550 rd bricks of remington golden .22 for $11....

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    i got a brick at the abingdon wal-mart about a month ago... something like $10 or $12. Unfortunately, you gotta be at the right place at the right time...

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just keep checking the Walmarts. Eventually they'll get some more in. Although, they've gone up too. Federal 550 bulk is now $15 and some change, up from the $14.xx that it was a month or so ago.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    (in my best Rod Serling voice)

Netsurferdude unlocks this door with the key to the gun range. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of walmarts, a dimension of online stores, a dimension of ammo quietly bought and sold in shady back room deals. He's moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of ammo there and then gone. He's just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone.

doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo

You can find .22 online but it is harder to find and more expensive than it used to be. I suppose everyone's buying up plinker ammo so they can go to the range without having to take out a second mortgage.

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    I have heard from a good source (ammunition Distributor) that 22 rimfire will be the next shortage. This is caused by the feds buying up supplies to train the Iraqis and some others with rimfire to save money

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have heard from a good source (ammunition Distributor) that 22 rimfire will be the next shortage. This is caused by the feds buying up supplies to train the Iraqis and some others with rimfire to save money
    If it means that centerfire gets cheap again, they can have it all.

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick
    Just keep checking the Walmarts. Eventually they'll get some more in. Although, they've gone up too. Federal 550 bulk is now $15 and some change, up from the $14.xx that it was a month or so ago.

+1.

Casually check every time you're in or near a Wal-Mart and you should be able to stock up a couple thousand rounds easily. It's the times when you just gotta have it that seems like it's dry everywhere. Patience, young Padawan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom