• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Per one of the folks here, I went to Atlantic Guns in Rockville to pick up a cartridge belt for CAS. Atlantic has quite the selection of cowboy action shooting guns and gear. They were kind of busy, so it took a bit before one of the guys there came to help me. I could not believe my eyes. He was a LOT grayer, still as tall, and as friendly as the last time I saw him almost 20 years ago at Old Town Armory. Jonathon was the guy who sold me my first gun I bought myself (a Ruger Blackhawk in 32-20), along with my first holster, box of cartridges (I brought it with me), and my first reloading set up. The guns I brought with me to check the fit with the belt were both in 32-20. So it's come full circle. I'm finally shooting CAS with 32-20, and the guy who sold me my first set up sold me my new cartridge belt. Pretty cool if you ask me.

jmiles1960

Jim Miles
    Jan 9, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I've known the entire "Atlantic Guns" family: George, Bill Schneider, etc.. since I was a kid in the late 1960's. Can't speakly highly enough about their business and customer support.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Jim, that's a cool story. I bought my first handgun from a place in Old Town Alexandria. I thought it was called Potomac Arms. It was in a building with a big Torpedo on the side.
    Where was old town armory?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jim, that's a cool story. I bought my first handgun from a place in Old Town Alexandria. I thought it was called Potomac Arms. It was in a building with a big Torpedo on the side.
    Where was old town armory?

Old Town Armory was further up Duke Street on the second floor of the building they were in. They opened a second store in Manassas, then they shut down their original store, then they shut down the Manassas store and moved back to Old Town.

I remember Potomac Arms, that place was huge. Too bad they went under. They had artillery pieces in the parking lot.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Old Town Armory was further up King Street on the second floor of the building they were in. They opened a second store in Manassas, then they shut down their original store, then they shut down the Manassas store and moved back to Old Town.

FIFY. I bought my first pistol there as well -- a Ruger Mk II that I still own and shot today at AAF&G's Rimfire Match.

I remember Potomac Arms, that place was huge. Too bad they went under. They had artillery pieces in the parking lot.

Yes, I remember that too. At various times it was also called Hunter's Haven and Ye Olde Hunter. They were basically the retail outlet for Interarms, then later had a great selection of milsurp rifles and LE trade-in pistols.

JoeR

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I started using Atlantic in Silver Spring in 1973. I was a rookie and lived around the corner. I later helped teach the Schneider bros how to scuba dive. Atlantic Guns certainly has stability.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I started using Atlantic in Silver Spring in 1973. I was a rookie and lived around the corner. I later helped teach the Schneider bros how to scuba dive. Atlantic Guns certainly has stability.

That was most likely Bob Schneider and maybe older brother Steve along with David Prangie. Back then bob just got out of college and david was a salesman for Art Cook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom