• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I know Aguila sells 1.5" shells, which I will be picking up, but does anyone make the 2.5" shells anymore? Or 2 5/8" shells? It seems the Winchester 1887 shotguns were designed for the shorter than 2.75" shells and I'd like to try some out. I figure someone here in the collective would know.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I know Aguila sells 1.5" shells, which I will be picking up, but does anyone make the 2.5" shells anymore? Or 2 5/8" shells? It seems the Winchester 1887 shotguns were designed for the shorter than 2.75" shells and I'd like to try some out. I figure someone here in the collective would know.

Here's a few places to try:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/-2-1_2-2-1_4-Ammunition-/products/188/

http://www.polywad.com/vintager.html

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/2-12-Gauge.aspx

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I did a lot of reading on this because I wanted to shoot my LC Smith 16 gauge for trap. Apparently it is chambered for 2 5/8" and I had already purchased 2 3/4" shells.

While reports vary, what I ultimately believed was that shooting 2 3/4" shells doesn't significantly increase the pressure... there were several websites where I read that. So far, through about 14 rounds of trap, I haven't had any problems. There certainly isn't any recoil to speak of - lighter than most 20s I've shot.

As always... YMMV.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Nobel Sport makes 2 1/4 inch 12 gauge shells. I believe I got mine from Sportsman's Guide. Not sure they have them in trap loads, though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Check the above links. 12ga 2.5 and even 2.0 shells are mfg/ imported in decent numbers. The primary market is shooters/ collectors of vintage SxS guns of English and European make, frequent quite valuable.
    Publications that caiter to Double Gun afficianados , and high end wingshooters will be full of ads for these.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, all, I figured I'd get a good answer here. BTW, my 1887 is a lever gun, not a break action. Currently, I'm using Winchester AA shells since when they open up they aren't as long as the other brands of shells I've used.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Have those smokeless rounds been proven not to hurt the black powder rated 1887?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I bought a bunch of those short Aguila rounds Jim and they won't function through many feed systems. I'd just buy a few to try out first.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yup, that's the plan. I wish I could order a grab bag of the shorter ones to see how well they feed in the 87.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Aguila shells won't feed out of the tube properly in my 87. When I work the action, two shells pop out of the tube :sad20: Depending on the email I get today, I may be getting a few boxes of the 2.5" shells next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom