• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    The final ordnance dept. inspection was done by John M. Gilbert.
    (Grandma likes you best!)

Haha she actually did it in a very fair manner, everyone interested in having one of the guns picked a number from a hat that corresponded to numbers already assigned to the guns. I was just very fortunate to get this one! The nice thing though is that everyone in my family appreciates the history they all represent so they will all definitely stay in the family for generations to come.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    I always love it when you get the history and/or know more about a piece than "carried in WWII". The fact that you are related to the person that carried it makes that one extra special in my book. Congrats on the 1911!

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Best Christmas gift ever. Glad to see history like that staying in the family. My father in law gave away the musket that his relative fought with in the Civil War. Luckily he gave me me his old service revolver so all history wasn't lost.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    The final ordnance dept. inspection was done by John M. Gilbert. Most of the wear on that one appears to have been from the holster it was carried in.

(P.S. - Grandma likes you best!)

Yeah the wear is most likely from the holster, it's lived in the original holster since the War. I'll add a pic of it, not much left but it's the original

Jul 1, 2012
    Awesome, I know you were hoping to get it someday but now you can preserve it properly (and not leave it in the holster).

1) This was originally shipped to Springfield Armory April 10, 1918 (Goddard appendix)
    (shipment was for S/N's 265601-270000)
    2) Yes that's the correct barrel (P over H on the hood).
    3) as mentioned this pre-dates the so-called "Black Army" and would have a brushed blue finish
    4) A Colt letter probably won't tell you any more than that

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Super envious, I know my Grandfather's service pistol ended up missing from his estate. Probably sold, traded, suckered out of.

Treasure that piece.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Awesome, I know you were hoping to get it someday but now you can preserve it properly (and not leave it in the holster).

1) This was originally shipped to Springfield Armory April 10, 1918 (Goddard appendix)
    (shipment was for S/N's 265601-270000)
    2) Yes that's the correct barrel (P over H on the hood).
    3) as mentioned this pre-dates the so-called "Black Army" and would have a brushed blue finish
    4) A Colt letter probably won't tell you any more than that

Fantastic! THANK YOU!

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    That's beautiful. My grandfather told me he could have brought his 1911 home from the war said "he didn't really need it". I couldn't help but bang my head against the wall when i heard that lol.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Here's the holster, as you can see it's taken the majority of the abuse over the years! Maker marked "Boyt". I'm just glad there isn't horrible pitting, etc from living in a holster for so many years.

Attachments

• DSCN1423.jpg
      DSCN1423.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 289
    Jul 1, 2012
    Here's the holster, as you can see it's taken the majority of the abuse over the years! Maker marked "Boyt". I'm just glad there isn't horrible pitting, etc from living in a holster for so many years.

Yeesh, glad the gun came out of it ok. It looks like the dust cover and front of slide took some holster rash but overall it's in remarkable shape.
    Plus, it's all correct and you have the history to go with it.
    Hopefully the bore is nice ?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Yeesh, glad the gun came out of it ok. It looks like the dust cover and front of slide took some holster rash but overall it's in remarkable shape.
    Plus, it's all correct and you have the history to go with it.
    Hopefully the bore is nice ?

Bore is so-so....not spectacular but could be worse. It was caked in crud, looked like it was shot a good bit and put away for good without a cleaning. Looks like there may be a few small patches of very light pitting near the chamber but I'm still working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom