• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • liljose13

May 15, 2011
    I was wondering what the legality is with traveling with a firearm. I was planning on making a trip to Florida in the near future, and was wondering about the legality of taking my firearm with me. I just recently recieved my Florida CCW, and from what I understand it must be in a locked container out of reach of the passenger compartment or in the trunk correct?

Another thing that threw me off, is that North Carolina and South Carolina have the duty to inform laws. Does this pertain to when you are actually carrying the firearm on your person? Or is it the same thing if you are simply transporting it in a locked container out of reach of the passenger compartment? And yes, the firearm is both legal in MD and FL, and I would not take any ammo with me, as it is readily available down south.

Since u have a florida permit, once you are out of md you can leave it loaded all the way to florida. It does not need to be locked up or unloaded.

While you are in SC, you will need to put the gun in the glove box. They do not honor out of state permit. Yes, its legal to have a loaded handgun in the glovebox in SC, or at least it was when I went a couple of years ago

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you have a trunk, the firearm must be in the trunk. If no trunk, either the ammo OR the firearm must be in a locked case. I am not referring to travel with a CCW permit. Just general travel.

IANAL

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Since u have a florida permit, once you are out of md you can leave it loaded all the way to florida. It does not need to be locked up or unloaded.

While you are in SC, you will need to put the gun in the glove box. They do not honor out of state permit. Yes, its legal to have a loaded handgun in the glovebox in SC, or at least it was when I went a couple of years ago

if you don't know the EXACT laws for each state your going thru, I would unload it, lock it in the trunk (or away from passenger compartment) and lock the ammo in the glove box. I would also research for "inform laws" for each travel thru state.
    Travel laws are different than carry laws....
    1 mistake or misunderstanding could be long term problems....

jmho....

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Why would you lock ammo in the glove box? If you have the gun locked in the trunk, have the ammo in a separate locked container in the back seat. Why would you put something in the glove box that could give an officer probable cause to search your vehicle if you get pulled over?
    (Even if it's not illegal to have ammo in the glovebox)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    if you don't know the EXACT laws for each state your going thru, I would unload it, lock it in the trunk (or away from passenger compartment) and lock the ammo in the glove box. I would also research for "inform laws" for each travel thru state.
    Travel laws are different than carry laws....
    1 mistake or misunderstanding could be long term problems....

jmho....

Don't put the ammunition in the glove box in Baltimore City :innocent0

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=166365&highlight=lawyer

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Read the laws for each state you travel through, paying careful attention to reciprocity with a FL NR permit. As noted, SC doesn't honor any NR permits so loaded in ther glove box is legal according to handgunlaw.us. Check AG sites for the latest and legal reciprocity info.

Don't take the info you get here as legally correct.

IANAL either.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Why would you lock ammo in the glove box? If you have the gun locked in the trunk, have the ammo in a separate locked container in the back seat. Why would you put something in the glove box that could give an officer probable cause to search your vehicle if you get pulled over?
    (Even if it's not illegal to have ammo in the glovebox)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

point made, anywhere away from the gun. but if its in the back seat and asked "whats in the box/container", wouldn't any answer be probable cause?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    To the OP. You have a CCW. Use it.

1. When you hit the Virginia border, pull over and load up the gun and put it within reach in the car or on your person. Drive to Florida.
    2. Before you hit the South Carolina border, unload the gun and put it in the trunk with the ammo separated. South Carolina does not recognize non resident Florida CCW.
    3. When you cross the Georgia border, load up and continue to be a free American all the way to Florida.
    I've been concealed carrying in VA for about a year now. I've driven to NC, WV, TN, and PA (had to disarm through MD). In some states you will see people open carrying (like VA). Concealed carrying is no big deal. No one has asked to see my permit. Most people have no clue you're carrying, nor will you have a clue that they are carrying, unless they have a really obvious print.

MD is an oppressive state. I understand the apprehension. I had it myself when I first started carrying. Other states are the polar opposite of MD.

I am not a lawyer. Here's a useful sight to refer to (again): http://www.usacarry.com/florida_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Follow the speed limit. Obey all other laws. Don't worry.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    To the OP. You have a CCW. Use it.

1. When you hit the Virginia border, pull over and load up the gun and put it within reach in the car or on your person. Drive to Florida.
    2. Before you hit the South Carolina border, put the gun in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. South Carolina allows car carry.
    3. When you cross the Georgia border, load up and continue to be a free American all the way to Florida.

Follow the speed limit. Obey all other laws. Don't worry.

FIFY

From SC Code of Laws http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    FIFY

From SC Code of Laws http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    :thumbsup: Thank you! :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And you do not have to consent to a search of your vehicle. Refusing is not PC for a search.

Be polite and respectful and in most cases you'll receive the same.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    MikeTF, thanks. I guess I am a little apprehensive, mostly the traveling within maryland portion of it.
    I completely understand! As a former MD resident for 40 years, when I return to MD and have to unload my pistol and put it in the trunk, I'm still apprehensive. When I first got my VA CCW, I felt awkward and nervous. It took me six months to summon the courage to CCW in a bank. Now it feels 100 percent natural. The gun goes with me everywhere. Wife does the same.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Locked in the trunk unloaded as per FOPA is a better plan IMO. Until you get to VA anyway.

You could travel under MD 4-203 while in MD but FOPA is even more restrictive as far as access to the firearm.

But going to the range is a legitimate reason. The law doesn't specify the range has to be in MD.

FOPA seems safer.

My .02

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    If you have a Florida CCW, you can legally carry the weapon concealed in every state heading to Florida except South Carolina. Then it can be in a glove compartment or console. The first thing I do when I cross the 301 bridge is pull over, retrieve my weapon and put it on in a concealed carry fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom