• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    So, dad just came back from a business trip in vegas with some mildly chubbier pockets, and decided now might be a good time to get a pistol. Now, I know a lot of you will say a 45 is great, bud he shattered his wrist a year ago when a washing machine kinda fell on him... and took him down a flight of stairs... and he landed on his wrist...

So, while he loves a gun like a 1911, the bones aren't the strongest around anymore, so a 9mm would probably be the best. Gonna be more for target and range shooting, so a full sized would be preferable to a carry size.

Budget closer to 4ish, possibly up to 500

I kinda have a thing for the fnp9 right now, but I still like the usual glocks and sigs, but I don't think I could get a sig for 400

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In that price range, a used Glock 17 or 19 is a great choice. Ruger "P" series tanks would be available new and even the SR-9 is probably under $500. If you don't mind doing some C&R shopping, look for an older Hi-Power for a more classic steel gun. You may also be able to get police trade in Beretta 92's in that range, lots of good options.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Lots of options.

Lou had some good deals on 9mm's (used, police trade ins I think). Bit of a haul for you though.

P-94 is a nice shooting gun I think, bought one for my FIL.
    S&W 5906 just indestructible and pleasant to shoot.
    Beretta 92. Classic.

I listed heavier 9mm's because I find them to be easier on my elbow than plastic. That weight tends to take up some recoil. At five bills you have lots of choices though.

Splitter

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Take him to a range that rents and try on a few for size. That way he can get to shoot them in person and not just handle them.

It's a fairly personal choice, and a lot of it comes down to feel. People's hands are different sizes, some guys like the extra weight of a metal frame, etc. There are better and worse pistols for value but he can get a real nice shooter well south of $500, especially if you are willing to buy an ex-LEO gun.

Agreed with many of the choices mentioned above:
    - Glock 17/19
    - Beretta 92
    - Sig 226
    - CZ-75B
    - FM Hi-Power

All are very reliable and shoot well. The first three can be found used readily as well as being pretty affordable new.

For a new shooter, the Glock is the "simplest" but that doesn't mean it's the best.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Wideners may still have the CZ-75's for $329ish... If I remember correctly.

Then a Glock 17.

It will be extra cash but a Glock 34 for target shooting will be worth the extra.

Chris

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    used XDM in full size. You won't regret it. Although I hear nothing but great things about the FNP9's. Haven't got the chance to shoot one yet though.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    M&P9 from G&R tactical runs $460, you can probably get one local for less than when you add in the shipping and transfer fees, though. I just got one after reading good things about them. It also weighs nothing compared to my previous full steel Jericho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom