Priorities:
    1. Quiet
    2. Light

NOT priorities:
    1. Quick detach
    2. Cheap
    3. Full auto
    4. SBR

With all the new stuff coming out, I'm not quite sure which way to go. My initial inclination has been a Gemtech Patrolman, but that's by no means certain. TIA.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    I'm in the market for a 5.56 can.

Priorities:
    1. Quiet
    2. Light

NOT priorities:
    1. Quick detach
    2. Cheap
    3. Full auto
    4. SBR

With all the new stuff coming out, I'm not quite sure which way to go. My initial inclination has been a Gemtech Patrolman, but that's by no means certain. TIA.
    Surefire SOCOM 556 RC. You will come to love the QD features. Quiet, light and not cheap!

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    I've come to prefer Silencerco products. I have 3 of their suppressors and they are superior to many others I've seen.

They have a new Omega, which is actually .30 cal, but it's light (14oz) and just as quiet on 5.56 as a 5.56 can. They even have a modular attachment system that can give you a direct thread instead of quick detach if you like that better. Then, of course you'll have to find a .30 cal rifle to use it on also...

http://www.silencerco.com/products/omega/

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    This is what's keeping me from getting one. I've never shot a 5.56 suppressed but from what I hear, it's not really quiet.

Kind of hard to make .223/5.56 "quiet" considering how fast the rounds are.

Hence, .300 blackout.

Even then, I'd say its worth it with a quality suppressor.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The SOCOM .556 is constantly reviewed as one of loudest 5.56 cans out there, by 3-5dB. The SpecWar is among the quietest, though it's a heavy sumbitch.

Sounds like a .22. Read the specs. Take a decision. Thing is, with all supersonics, you will get a ballistic report from down range. A sonic 'boom', if you will. But, I believe that suppression pays off at close range. Tight in. At long range...you're usually dead before you hear it go bang.:D

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Sounds like a .22. Read the specs. Take a decision. Thing is, with all supersonics, you will get a ballistic report from down range. A sonic 'boom', if you will. But, I believe that suppression pays off at close range. Tight in. At long range...you're usually dead before you hear it go bang.:D
    +1

I'll weigh in a little here. I may not have the SOCOM556, but I do have the SOCOM762. It is used on a 5.56 host and can say, with confidence, it is hearing safe and the quick detach is absolutely worth it. No matter what it's going to be loud indoors, but at least it'll be considerably LESS louder. So long as you're not outside for hours on end shooting round after round, you really won't need hearing protection when using that silencer. Just my $0.02 and hope this helps.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Something else to consider, as well: a 5.56mm dedicated can will produce more back pressure at the breach, resulting in the "Hitler Mustache" from gasses escaping from around the charging handle. While the 30 cal can is heavier and bigger, it has more volume, so produces less gasses in your face. I use an AAC 7.62SD on a 16" 5.56, and it's pleasant to shoot.
    A suppressed 5.56 won't be quiet, but will be hearing safe from the shooter position.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Something else to consider, as well: a 5.56mm dedicated can will produce more back pressure at the breach, resulting in the "Hitler Mustache" from gasses escaping from around the charging handle.

I shoot suppressed 95% of the time using a Saker556 on my MK18 and have never had enough gas to the face to cause that. Is there gas? Sure. But I think people make it sound like a bigger deal than it is.

To answer the OP's question, I think the Silencerco Omega meets all the characteristics you listed. Hopefully they will become readily available in the next few months.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Something else to consider, as well: a 5.56mm dedicated can will produce more back pressure at the breach, resulting in the "Hitler Hustache" from gasses escaping from around the charging handle. While the 30 cal can is heavier and bigger, it has more volume, so produces less gasses in your face. I use an AAC 7.62SD on a 16" 5.56, and it's pleasant to shoot.
    A suppressed 5.56 won't be quiet, but will be hearing safe from the shooter position.

Isn't that what adjustable gas blocks are for? PRI gas buster charging handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom